Montrose and Jarvis

  • luis munoz
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
      Greetings,

      The Surf Scoter was still at Montrose although it was by the hook today along with a small flock of Lesser Scaups. Eventually the Scoter flew to the doggie beach area. There was a gull that looked like a Great Black Backed Gull but because of the wind and haze I could not get a positive I.D. The size was there and also the two tone black upper parts contrasting with the white underparts. Two Mute Swans were still present by the golf course road although this time sitting on ice.

      Jarvis had a juvenile Cooper's Hawk, Tree Sparrows, Juncos, Chickadees, White Throat, and the White Breasted Nuthatch. Have a good one,

      Luis Muñoz
      malango@...
      Chicago

    • michelledevlin
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 21, 2010
        The lakefront was a little birdier than the last few days. Highlights as follows:

        At Montrose, I saw my first Yellow Warbler and saw 3 yellow-rumped warblers. There were 7 Eastern Towhees, 3 Brown Thrashers, 2 Field Sparrows, one American Woodcock one Blue Gray Gnatcatcher and about 20 Caspian Terns down at the beach. The Purple martins are back - I saw three hanging around the houses.

        At Jarvis was a Red Breasted Nuthatch, Peregrine Falcon and a Winter Wren.

        There were anumber of Ruby Crowned Kinglets at both locations as well as Yellow Bellied Sapsuckers and Hermit Thrushes.

        Michelle Devlin
        Chicago
      • michelledevlin
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 17, 2010
          I had 41 species at the two locations. List below:

          Canada Goose
          Mallard
          Wood Duck
          Double Crested Cormorant
          Great Blue Heron
          Black Crowned Night Heron
          Killdeer
          Semipalmated Sandpiper
          Ring Billed Gull
          Bonaparte's Gull
          Caspian Tern
          Rock Pigeon
          Chimney Swift
          Ruby throated Hummingbird - perched and preening for about 5 minutes at jarvis
          Downy Woodpecker
          Northern Flicker
          Several Empidomax Flycatchers which I couldn't identify
          Eastern Kingbird
          Warbling Vireo
          Red eyed vireo on a nest at jarvis
          Purple martin
          Northern Rough Winged Swallow
          Barn Swallow
          Black Capped Chickadee
          White Breasted Nuthatch
          Swainson's thrush
          American Robin
          Gray Catbird
          European Starling
          Cedar Waxwing
          Magnolia Warbler
          Black and White Warbler
          American Redstart
          Canada Warbler
          Northern Cardinal
          Red Winged Blackbird
          Common Grackle
          Baltimore Oriole
          House finch
          American Goldfinch
          House Sparrow

          Other birds I heard about - Montrose Yellow Billed Cuckoo and Mourning Warbler. Jarvis - Northern Waterthrush
          and Rose Breasted Grosbeak female.

          Michelle Devlin
          Chicago
        • Michelle Devlin
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 18, 2010
            Today at Montrose there is a Short Billed Dowitcher on the beach. I also saw Blackburnian and Black and White.

            Birds reported by others included brown thrasher, yellow headed blackbird and Tennessee and Wilsons warblers.

            Sent from my iPhone

            Michelle Devlin
            773.255.9608 cell
            773.769.9966 home

          • zoomfergie
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 18, 2010
              Here is a link to a photo of the Short-billed Dowitcher that was at Montrose this morning. Nice looking bird. Rather calm and approachable too.

              http://flic.kr/p/8tsjM2

              Saw a Ruddy Turnstone on the pier for a few minutes as well. Warblers started popping up in the hedge when the sun came out. A good day for Montrose. Most action I've seen there since the Spring.

              Cheers,

              --
              Michael Ferguson