Re: IBET Southwest Illinois weekend birding (+ Mountain Lion!)

  • Jane Ward
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2008
      Hi Eric,

      I have encountered big cats before in Illinois. About 6 years ago at
      Springdale Cemetery in Peoria I was kneeling down to photograph a
      wildflower when my husband tapped me and said "Jane, look." I looked
      up and about 100 yards away in the woods on the other side of the
      ravine was a large cat, bigger than a German Shepherd, all black,
      sitting up tall and staring at us. He stared at us for several
      seconds. I was frozen and didn't think to raise my camera to take a
      photo (it was set on macro anyway and a photo wouldn't have turned
      out). Then he stood up, turned around, swished his long tail, and
      sauntered away. We didn't report the sighting, as people in Peoria
      have always labeled as eccentric anyone who reports seeing a cougar in
      the cemetery. (There have been other sightings of cougars there over
      the years, when the cemetery was in a much neglected state and over
      grown with grass and weeds.) I did report this to a website devoted
      to cougar sightings, and was informed that this cat was likely a run
      away black panther.

      Another time, Scott and I were walking the trail at the Henry Allan
      Gleason Nature Preserve with our dog, Anna. We heard that guttural
      sound cats make in their throats and we smelled cat. We left
      immediately. Once when I was walking with a friend on the trails at
      Robinson Park we smelled the cat smell, then heard that guttural
      sound, so we left the area. And one other time at Detweiller Park,
      walking the trails along the bluffs with Anna, we all three smelled
      the strong smell of a big cat. Anna started freaking out. We were on
      our way down the bluff anyway, so we just kept going.

      Now, you can see that I do believe that big cats are in Illinois along
      the river system. However, I really don't believe that the IDNR is
      releasing them to control deer population. I rather believe that the
      IDNR would be more interested in removing any cougars (physically or
      by killing them) to prevent danger to our huge human population.

      I did a quick search on IDNR and cougars and found this
      "Flood also addressed rumors sometimes mentioned in these hoax emails
      that the IDNR is releasing these animals into the Illinois ecosystem.
      "It is absolutely not true that the Illinois Department of Natural
      Resources is releasing cougars anywhere in the state for any reason,"
      Flood said."

      That being said, I truly enjoyed reading about your encounter, and I
      am sure that the hunter you spoke with believes what he told you.

      Jane Ward
      Peoria, Illinois