woodcocks & spring (almost) in so. IL

  • Rhonda (Monroe) Rothrock
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2008
      Last evening, 2/29, atmospheric conditions and my schedule were right for me to hear 2 Am. woodcocks on our property in rural Jackson County. Each was performing at opposite ends of our aceage. I didn't get any visuals except for a couple big brown bats, but it's not unusual to see bats in the winter when the day temps reach the upper 40s even if there's still remnant snow or ice on the ground.

      I went outside to fill bird feeders at 6 AM this morning, 3/1, and although it was 33 with light frost on the ground and the sun was yet to come up, cardinals, eastern bluebirds, and Carolina wrens were singing as if it were spring. I almost expected to hear whip-poor-wills and a host of warblers chiming in. A barred owl was hooting too.

      But, so. IL is not out of the winter woods yet. There's probably at least one more heavy but short-lived snow fall looming ahead in March.

      Rhonda Rothrock
      Pomona, Jackson County, Illinois 62975

      IOS Annual Mtg. in conjunction with the
      Birding Fest of Southernmost Illinois