68516Birds in 3 Counties

  • Stephen Pack
    May 18, 2014
      Alan Van Natter and I set out this morning at 4:30 to see what birds we might find in three counties: McHenry, Lake, and Cook.  We started the day at Glacier Park, moved on to McHenry Dam & Black Tern Marsh, then Dan Wright Woods, and finally a fairly brief walk around Miller Meadows on the way home.  It was an amazing day to be outside and we had several nice surprises.  At GP, three AMERICAN WOODCOCKS flushed and we got long looks at these fantastic creatures.  Also at GP, long looks at a male ORCHARD ORIOLE, which seems like a bird that could be a vagrant from far away.  We had what must be a late COMMON MERGANSER at BTM.  We had good numbers of woodpeckers (including Red-headed WPs at both GP and BTM), thrushes, flycatchers and warblers.

      Species list follows:

      Great Egret (GP & BTM)
      Great Blue Heron
      Green Heron