68503Wooded Island Sunday 5/18

  • Linda
    May 18, 2014
      Birded Jackson Park/Wooded Island (Chicago) today with the DuPage Birding Club. Thanks Hal C. for being such a good leader! The trip ended at 11:30, but Janet P. and I stayed for another hour trying to find "just one more bird."

      There were many warblers here today. We ended up with 22 warbler species. The most numerous species were Palm, Redstart, Yellow-rumped. These were pretty much everywhere.
      We counted 6 or 7 Canada Warblers. We had good looks at a Prothonotary Warbler, Bay-breasted and the Black-throated Blue. Cape May Warblers were just a few feet away! Saw 71 species overall.

      After the DuPage group left, Janet and I saw a Black-throated Green. Two other warblers were seen today but missed by us- Mourning and Blackburnian.

      Warblers - Northern Waterthrush, Golden-winged, Black and White, Tennessee, Prothonotary, Orange-crowned, Nashville, Yellowthroat, Redstart, Cape May, Northern Parula, Magnolia, Bay-breasted, Yellow, Chestnut-sided, Blackpoll, Black-throated Blue, Palm, Yellow-rumped, Black-throated Green, Canada, Wilson's.

      Other nice sightings of the day included - Orioles on the nest, Olive-sided Flycatcher and the Black-crowned Night Herons.

      Happy May birding!

      Linda Radtke
      Downers Grove, IL