68501IBET Highlights from the Kingfishers' CAS Birdathon - Yellow-throated Warbler

  • trptjoe2005
    May 18, 2014
      On Saturday, May 17th, the Steel Belted Kingfishers (Jill Anderson & Joe Lill) did a Chicago Lakefront Parks Big Day as our version of the Chicago Audubon Society's Birdathon. We couldn't do the "normal" 20-hour madness this time, so we decided to try something different. We ended up with 91 shared species and three others identified by only one of us. Some highlights:
      Montrose at dawn: On the way down to the beach we heard a loud call and we rushed over to confirm what we heard. It was a Yellow-throated Warbler singing away at dawn. We both had good looks at the bird, which sang again while we watched. It then flew back and we never heard it again. We alerted other birders but I don't believe anyone else got it.
      Golf Course Pond: Solitary Sandpiper
      Jackson Park: A calling Alder Flycatcher might have been the highlight. Two Canada Warblers and sightings of friends were nice, too.
      Calumet Park: Philadelphia Vireo and a total lack of ducks. House Finch was a nice addition.
      83rd St. slip: Red-breasted Merganser at the mouth of the slip.
      La Rabida: We had a Bank Swallow go into a gap in the concrete and the northern end of the yacht club parking lot. It flew out about 15 seconds later, for the first one I've seen there in two years.
      McCormick Place: Our only Flicker of the day.
      Northerly Island: Whiffed on Kestrel but we were surprised when Jill spotted three Bobolink.
      North Pond: Marsh Wren, Hooded Merganser and Gadwall were welcome additions to the day. The Summer Tanager did not choose to appear for us.
      Jarvis: Our only House Wren of the day
      Montrose again: By this time some Sanderlings and a Dunlin had joined a flock of Semi Sandpipers.

      A fine day, and it was nice to know so many teams were out there. To donate to CAS on behalf of the Kingfishers, please go to this link: https://secure.acceptiva.com/?cst=2e2ce8

      Joe Lill
      Chicago, Cook County