Re: [IHB] Tie Replacement on the Kankakee Line in East Chicago IN

  • Herman Lund
    Message 1 of 10 , May 8, 2007
      The work area is from CP 100..........south to CP Gibson. Tie replacement and ballast upgrade...adding what they need to bring the track up to speed and putting in replacement crossovers. Doing the grade/street crossing tracks to.

      "Mike Rapchak Jr." <Pro2Am@...> wrote:

      I see that this work commenced today. From what I saw it extended
      from around the Grand Calumet River north to 151st St. :)

      Mike Rapchak Jr.

      Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

    • Mike Rapchak Jr.
      Message 2 of 10 , May 9, 2007
        Many thanks for the info, Herman! I have to ask a dumb question:
        Where is CP 100? Calumet Junction? :)

        Mike Rapchak Jr.

        ---------------------------------

        --- In IHB@yahoogroups.com, Herman Lund <wbrcar21@...> wrote:

        > The work area is from CP 100..........south to CP Gibson. Tie
        replacement and ballast upgrade...adding what they need to bring the
        track up to speed and putting in replacement crossovers. Doing the
        grade/street crossing tracks to.

        > "Mike Rapchak Jr." <Pro2Am@...> wrote:
        > I see that this work commenced today. From what I saw it extended
        > from around the Grand Calumet River north to 151st St. :)
        >
        > Mike Rapchak Jr.
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        > Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.

      • Ian Contreras
        Message 3 of 10 , May 9, 2007
          Isnt that right under the expressway or Clark Rd....or whatever it is called........?

          -Ian

          ------------ --------- --------- ---

          Message 4 of 10 , May 9, 2007
            Mike
                  CP 100 is the interlocking that is  at Dicky road. The Next interlocking after that is CP502.  CP100 was the interlocking that was there to protect the PRR mains into Chicago. Since it is no longer their. They are now used to provide a holding place for small trains.....12 cars or less from going into Michigan Ave yard until needed. It also protects the north entrance to the Cast Amour lead. (Inland Plant 4)   The 12 cars in how many with locomotive will fit between CP100 and CP 502
                  The operator at hick tower controls the signals. But must contact the IHB East Dispatcher to let trains in and out of the area. Hick must also contact the Michigan ave yardmaster for permission to let trains into the yard lead.
                   Not sure why they call it CP100. The PRR called the interlocking "Indiana Harbor" My guess would be after the PRR track were taken up. The Interlocking being close to mile post 1 on the IHB, so not to make it confusing to the train crews they call it CP100. Just a guess ....lol  sound good to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                                                                  Herman
                                                                                               IHB Conductor
                                                                                                   Gibson

            Bored stiff? Loosen up...
          • Mike Rapchak Jr.
            Message 5 of 10 , May 9, 2007
              Herman,

              Again a big Thank You for this information. I'm somewhat familiar
              with the area you've described. :)

              Mike Rapchak Jr.

              ----------------------------------

              --- In IHB@yahoogroups.com, Herman Lund <wbrcar21@...> wrote:

              > Mike
              > CP 100 is the interlocking that is at Dicky road. The Next
              interlocking after that is CP502. CP100 was the interlocking that
              was there to protect the PRR mains into Chicago. Since it is no
              longer their. They are now used to provide a holding place for small
              trains.....12 cars or less from going into Michigan Ave yard until
              needed. It also protects the north entrance to the Cast Amour lead.
              (Inland Plant 4) The 12 cars in how many with locomotive will fit
              between CP100 and CP 502
              > The operator at hick tower controls the signals. But must
              contact the IHB East Dispatcher to let trains in and out of the area.
              Hick must also contact the Michigan ave yardmaster for permission to
              let trains into the yard lead.
              > Not sure why they call it CP100. The PRR called the
              interlocking "Indiana Harbor" My guess would be after the PRR track
              were taken up. The Interlocking being close to mile post 1 on the
              IHB, so not to make it confusing to the train crews they call it
              CP100. Just a guess ....lol sound good to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

              Herman

              IHB Conductor

              Gibson

              > ---------------------------------
              > Bored stiff? Loosen up...

            • craig cloud
              Message 6 of 10 , May 9, 2007
                Herman and Mike
                          CP100 had a tower there and was known as Ft.Wayne, CR did away with the tower, around the time the Cline
                Avenue extension was built.
                                                                       Craig Cloud

                ------------ --------- --------- ----

                Message 7 of 10 , May 10, 2007
                  Thanks for the information, Craig! :)

                  Mike

                  ---------------------------

                  --- In IHB@yahoogroups.com, craig cloud <railphotosbycraig@...> wrote:

                  > Herman and Mike
                  > CP100 had a tower there and was known as Ft.Wayne, CR
                  did away with the tower, around the time the Cline
                  > Avenue extension was built.
                  > Craig Cloud
                  >
                  > "Mike Rapchak Jr." <Pro2Am@...> wrote:
                  > Herman,
                  >
                  > Again a big Thank You for this information. I'm somewhat familiar
                  > with the area you've described. :)
                  >
                  > Mike Rapchak Jr.
                  >
                  > ----------------------------------
                  >
                  > --- In IHB@yahoogroups.com, Herman Lund <wbrcar21@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Mike
                  > > CP 100 is the interlocking that is at Dicky road. The Next
                  > interlocking after that is CP502. CP100 was the interlocking that
                  > was there to protect the PRR mains into Chicago. Since it is no
                  > longer their. They are now used to provide a holding place for
                  small
                  > trains.....12 cars or less from going into Michigan Ave yard until
                  > needed. It also protects the north entrance to the Cast Amour lead.
                  > (Inland Plant 4) The 12 cars in how many with locomotive will fit
                  > between CP100 and CP 502
                  > > The operator at hick tower controls the signals. But must
                  > contact the IHB East Dispatcher to let trains in and out of the
                  area.
                  > Hick must also contact the Michigan ave yardmaster for permission
                  > let trains into the yard lead.
                  > > Not sure why they call it CP100. The PRR called the
                  > interlocking "Indiana Harbor" My guess would be after the PRR track
                  > were taken up. The Interlocking being close to mile post 1 on the
                  > IHB, so not to make it confusing to the train crews they call it
                  > CP100. Just a guess ....lol sound good to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  > >

                  > Herman
                  > >
                  > IHB Conductor
                  > >
                  > Gibson
                  > >

                  > > ---------------------------------
                  > > Bored stiff? Loosen up...
                  > > Download and play hundreds of games for free on Yahoo! Games.
                  > >

                  > ---------------------------------
                  > Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.

                • ckpcpqq
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 10, 2007
                    --- In IHB@yahoogroups.com, Herman Lund <wbrcar21@...> wrote:
                    > The operator at hick tower controls the signals. But must
                    contact the IHB East Dispatcher to let trains in and out of the area.
                    Hick must also contact the Michigan ave yardmaster for permission to
                    let trains into the yard lead.
                    > Not sure why they call it CP100. The PRR called the
                    interlocking "Indiana Harbor" My guess would be after the PRR track
                    were taken up. The Interlocking being close to mile post 1 on the IHB,
                    so not to make it confusing to the train crews they call it CP100. Just
                    a guess ....lol sound good to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                    Here's another guess. The PRR rarely if ever named interlockings by
                    milepost numbers. But after PRR tracks were taken up, CR might have
                    renamed it CP 100 since it was approximately 100 miles from Ft. Wayne
                    and CR was accustomed to using milepost names. They apparently got
                    this from NYC; CP 502 is so-called because it is 502 miles from
                    Buffalo, the eastern terminal of predecessor Lake Shore & Michigan
                    Southern.

                    Check the Kankakee Line timetable at http:ihbarchive.com/ihbconn.html
                    You'll see that CP100 is at MP 0.2 on the IHB. I'll bet that for CR it
                    was MP 100 of the ex-PRR, but we'd need an old CR timetable to verify
                    that.
                  • craig cloud
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 11, 2007
                      Yer welcome Mike