- IFCE Activities (Oct.-Dec. 2007)
1. Johnson & Johnson recently agreed to support an IFCE proposed project to conduct training for community leaders in environmental health. The first phase of the project is to provide training in Xian and Kunming in 2008. It is expected the project will be expanded to other cities after completion of the first phase.
2. As a specially invited speaker, Ping He spoke at 7th meeting of R&D Based Pharmaceutical Association Committee of China Association of Enterprise with Foreign Investment in Shanghai in November 1.He introduced the current environmental NGO in China and provided suggestions on how to work with them effectively. Around 60 people from Bayer, Abbott, Squibb, Johnson&Johnson, Eli Lily, GE, etc. attended the two-day meeting.
3. Under arrangement of IFCE, Ms. Melinda Kimble, sr. vice president of UN Foundation, visited Lijiang, Yunnan in November. Deputy major of Lijiang, Mr. Cui Gang hosted a diner to welcome Ms. Kimble, Ping He and Linda Lian of IFCE. Mr. Cui introduced efforts of Lijiang government to preserve the natural and cultural heritage in Lijiang region.
4. Linda Lian, IFCE’s Yunnan representative was elected as the first chairwoman of the newly established Yunnan Natural and Cultural Heritage Conservation Council. The Council, consisting of more than 50 leading professionals, officials, research scientists in conservation in the region, is poised to taking leadership in public education, international exchanges and policy advancement for preserving rich heritage in Yunnan.
5. Dr. Michael Zhao, one of IFCE’s founders, was appointed as IFCE’s Beijing representative recently. After around twenty-year study and work in US, Dr. Zhao returned to China two years ago. Dr. Zhao is experienced in project development, coordination and international cooperation. IFCE’s Beijing office has also moved to Ya-Yun-Chun. Check www.ifce.org for new office address and phone number.
6. Ms. Lida Wang, a famous young singer in China, accepted IFCE’s invitation to serve as IFCE’s Green Ambassador. Ms. Wang is currently the solo singer in Chinese Army (Zongzheng) Singing and Dancing Troupe.
7. CCTV carried a feature store for Mr Lo, Suikei, one of IFCE’s board directors, for his efforts in reforestation in Duolun County, Inner Mongolia. It is a rare story of private investment in land restoration in China. The site is also designated as IFCE’s Grassland Ecological Restoration Demo Base. A similar article appeared in Fortune Observer Magazine in China. Check www.ifce.org for more details.
- Dear All,Please note that the Healthy Building Network, a program of the Institute for Local Self-Reliance that will soon emerge as an independent organization, can provide training on healthy building materials for industry and households.I will be happy to connect program planners to key people in HBN. You can see HBNs work by going to healthybuilding.net on the internet.Sincerely,Neil SeldmanPresidentInstitute for Local Self-RelianceWashington, DC