Engineering Department Veermata Jijabai Technological
Institute Matunga, Mumbai 400 019 in association with The
Institution of Engineers (India), Maharashtra State Centre,
is organising a one week "Faculty Development Programme on
Form Work and False WorkDesign,Under TEQIP-II" from 28th
March, 2013 to 01st April, 2013.
About the Programme
There are different
types of temporary structures used as enablers for
constructing permanent structures. Some examples of such
concrete formwork, scaffolding, falsework / shoring etc. The
purpose of formwork is to support its own weight and that of
freshly placed concrete as well as the construction live
loads including materials, equipment and workmen. Falsework
is the temporary structure erected to support the work in
the process of construction. It is composed of shores,
formwork and bracing. The main requirements of formwork are
its quality, safety and economy. Therefore material
selection, planning and design of formwork needs to be
carefully worked out for any project. Due to complications
of shapes and forms, the formwork design poses a challenge
to engineers.The programme will cover all these finer
aspects in the planning, design and execution of formwork in
details. Many failures in formwork and centering have led to
serious accidents on construction sites. With the advent of
segmental construction of bridges, the design of launching
girders etc have become very important. These design
procedures will also be discussed in this programme. With
the help of interesting case studies, the programme aims at
training the participants towads a proper and safe design of
formwork and falsework.
1) To review basic principles of formwork design
2) To understand design, planning and execution of formwork
3) To discuss case studies of formwork design for complicated
forms and structures.
4) To understand bridge erection techniques.
Topics for discussion :
1) Introduction to principles of structural engineering with
their applications to formwork design.
2) Discussion on design, planning and execution of formwork
along with tutorials.
3) Case studies of horizontal and vertical formwork design.
4) Bridge erection techniques.
5) Case study of formwork for special forms like shells etc.
6) Formwork for segmental construction
Who Should Attend
Faculty of Civil/Structural Engineering/ Applied Mechanics
Department from Engineering and Polytechnics, working
Professionals, M.Tech and Ph.D Students.
1) Mr. Vivek Abhyankar, AFCONS.
2) Dr. A.N. Bambole, Professor and Head Structural
Engineering Department, VJTI.
3) Dr. M.A Chakrabarti, Professor, Structural Engineering
Department and Dean Student Activities, VJTI.
4) Dr. K.K. Sangle, Professor, Structural Engineer ing Depar
tment and Dean, Infrastructure and Planning, VJTI.
5) Mr. J. G. Solanki, Assistant Professor Structural
Engineering Department VJTI.
6) Mr. Dipak Kulkarni, Consultant, Mumbai.
Application in the
prescribed format should reach the coordinators at VJTI on
or before 23rd March 2013 This Course is under TEQIP-II
therefore registration fee for Faculty Members is nil.
Participant has to bear the expenditure for travelling and
boarding at Mumbai. VJTI will provide the paid accommodation
to only 15 participants in three stater Non AC guest rooms.
For More Details :
Prof. J. G. Solanki, Asst. Professor, Structural Engg.
Department, VJTI, Mumbai Email : jgsolanki@..., Mobile
Dr. M. A. Chakrabartii, Professor, Structural Engg.
Department, VJTI, Mumbai. Email : mchakrabarti@...,
The Institution of Engineers (India)
Maharashtra State Centre,
15, Haji Ali Park, K.Khadye Marg,
Mahalaxmi, Mumbai - 400 034.
Tel - (022) 2354 2943 / 2354 3650.
Fax - (022) 2354 2942.
** For keeping in touch, Please join our free eGroup by sending an eMail to - IEI-MaharashtraStateCentreemail@example.com
*** Please ALWAYS quote your MEMBERSHIP NUMBER.