donna summer's country music connection

  • Joseph Mooney
    Message 1 of 1 , May 28, 2012

      When Donna Summer died, I went scouting the Internet.
      I was sure (positive!) the "Last Dance" singer had a country music connection.

      A cursory Google search turned up nothing, and I convinced myself I must be thinking of Roberta Flack; her hit "First Time I Ever Saw Your Face" was covered by Johnny Cash on American IV (and began life, interestingly, as a Peggy Seeger folk ballad).

      Anyway, it turns out my initial hunch was correct. In 1980, Dolly Parton released "Starting Over Again," written by none other than Donna Summer. The divorce song became a #1 hit for Parton, and it was later recorded by Reba McEntire in 1995.

       Joseph Mooney