1900 House & WW2 (Australia)

  • Christopher Ballis
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2001
      The 1900 House series has been purchased for screening this year by SBS,
      the foreign language and artsy-fartsy network that also seens Southpark
      (!).

      Also for television in Oz this year, a drama examining the Australian
      experience in the Japanese Prisoner of War camp at Changi in World War II.
      The series is written by John Doyle, better known as rampaging Roy Slaven,
      one of the creators of the alternate Olympics mascot, Fatso the Fat Arse
      Wombat.

      Wouldn't you think I'd find better things to write about on a Saturday
      morning?

      -C.
    • ICG WebMaster - John O'Halloran
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31, 2001
        Christopher Ballis wrote:

        > The 1900 House series has been purchased for screening

        This series had many flaws (like only 3 days of training
        to learn how live like a Victorian family), but their
        clothing was very well done. IIRC, they were copies
        of actual garments or made from vintage patterns.

        > this year by SBS, the foreign language and artsy-fartsy
        > network that also seens Southpark (!).

        Hey, that's what usually watch after a long day of touring
        after the Worldcon in 1999. Much better then the American
        crap they were showing on the commercial stations.

        > Also for television in Oz this year, a drama examining
        > the Australian experience in the Japanese Prisoner of
        > War camp at Changi in World War II.

        The male version of Tenko?

        JohnO
      • Christopher Ballis
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2001
          This series had many flaws (like only 3 days of training
          to learn how live like a Victorian family)

          Maybe not as hard as Survivor II will be to watch. I wonder whether they
          will mention the thing is far from the locations seen in promotions and just
          a short distance from a tropical resort; or whether there will be any
          mention of the prankster in the helecopter who made a food drop to the site.

          -C.
        • lisa58@juno.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2001
            I loved the 1900 House mini-series! It was great to see them really
            wearing the clothes as they were meant to be worn, i.e. living in them.
            Although it's not my favorite era, costumewise or otherwise (with the
            exception of the Sherlock Holmes stories), I got a whole new insight into
            the idea of historical clothing, and realized why I've loved certain
            costume dramas over the years, and disliked others. IT's just the whole
            idea of the character (historical or fictional historical) "inhabiting"
            their costumes, and the outward costume helping to reflect the actual
            character.

            Yours in costuming, Lisa A.
            Still waiting to do her first REAL historical
            GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2001
              I didn't watch the series, but I was troubled about some of the details.
              Like: by 1900, the telephone was a quarter of a century old. Had the house
              been in the provinces, I could understand the lack of a phone, but it's in
              Greenwich. Even in 1900, that was a London suburb. Was urban England
              really so backward?

              From: lisa58@... <lisa58@...>
              To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com <ICG-D@yahoogroups.com>
              Date: Friday, February 02, 2001 8:01 PM