Re: [ICG-D] Messages on the board

  • Andrew Trembley
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2002
      On Monday, September 30, 2002, at 06:14 AM, Ricky & Karen Dick wrote:
      > OK, can somebody explain to me how later messages sometimes post to the
      > board earlier than earlier messages? Is it related to how much of the
      > network they have to travel through to get to me?

      <geek>
      There are two types of errors that can happen if email is not delivered.

      A permanent error results in a bounce back to you saying your mail
      could not be delivered. For many smart reasons, most mailing list
      systems capture these bounces so you don't have to deal with them
      (trust me, it's a good thing).

      A temporary error re-queues the message to try again in a half hour. If
      after 4 hours the message isn't sent, you get a warning message saying
      it hasn't got there yet but it's still trying. Same deal above with how
      mailing list systems deal with it. Temporary errors are really common
      when busy systems are involved.

      So, if for some reason yahoo's servers can't send you "how do I dye a
      tuxedo shirt" it requeues and waits a half hour. If five minutes later,
      yahoo's servers can send you "this is how you dye a tuxedo shirt" it
      does, but the first message is still waiting for the retry. Hence, you
      get the second message first.

      If you set your mailer to sort messages by the time sent instead of by
      order received, most of this problem will be hidden from you (except
      when you're online all day reading messages as they come in). It will,
      however, highlight anybody's computer that has the wrong time, date, or
      time zone set.

      </geek>

      --
      andy trembley, Bitchy Design Queen