Re: [ICG-D] Messages on the board

  • John O'Halloran
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2002
      Ricky & Karen Dick wrote:
      > OK, can somebody explain to me how later messages sometimes post to the
      > board earlier than earlier messages? Is it related to how much of the
      > network they have to travel through to get to me?
      >
      > ??? Feel like I'm living in a time warp.

      Base answer: Yes you are.

      More complete answer: You are right. Depending on where on the network
      you and the send are, messages may take longer routes.

      Super technical answer: Yahoo has many many mail servers handling the
      mail for yahoo groups. Some of the servers get overloaded and back up
      mail, while others are relativty unloaded. Which server a individual
      piece of mail goes to is fairly random. Even back to back messages from
      the same sender can end up going to different servers.

      JohnO
    • Andrew Trembley
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2002
        On Monday, September 30, 2002, at 06:14 AM, Ricky & Karen Dick wrote:
        > OK, can somebody explain to me how later messages sometimes post to the
        > board earlier than earlier messages? Is it related to how much of the
        > network they have to travel through to get to me?

        <geek>
        There are two types of errors that can happen if email is not delivered.

        A permanent error results in a bounce back to you saying your mail
        could not be delivered. For many smart reasons, most mailing list
        systems capture these bounces so you don't have to deal with them
        (trust me, it's a good thing).

        A temporary error re-queues the message to try again in a half hour. If
        after 4 hours the message isn't sent, you get a warning message saying
        it hasn't got there yet but it's still trying. Same deal above with how
        mailing list systems deal with it. Temporary errors are really common
        when busy systems are involved.

        So, if for some reason yahoo's servers can't send you "how do I dye a
        tuxedo shirt" it requeues and waits a half hour. If five minutes later,
        yahoo's servers can send you "this is how you dye a tuxedo shirt" it
        does, but the first message is still waiting for the retry. Hence, you
        get the second message first.

        If you set your mailer to sort messages by the time sent instead of by
        order received, most of this problem will be hidden from you (except
        when you're online all day reading messages as they come in). It will,
        however, highlight anybody's computer that has the wrong time, date, or
        time zone set.

        </geek>

        --
        andy trembley, Bitchy Design Queen