Re: Halloween costumes/christening gowns/retro fashions

  • kriketbml@juno.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 29, 2002
      On the question of Hallowin costumes, my mom made the first few, but then
      I took it on when I was about 8. Used lots of techniques before I
      learned how to sew. Was Queen Elizabeth one year (stole my big sister's
      prom dress crinoline, 'cause I didn't know about hoops) and a slot
      machine another. Still wear costumes to work on Halloween, despite the
      fact that I am usually one of _very_ few. (I think I really stunned
      folks the year I was 7 months pregnant on Halloween AND had an important
      meeting, and I still wore a costume.)

      As for christening gowns as costumes, Samantha went to her first
      Victorian ball when she was 6 weeks old, wearing the Past Patterns
      Victorian Christening Gown. I thought she looked great, and she was well
      recieved. I went on to try to market goth baby clothes--that same
      pattern made in dark reds and blacks. Didn't sell for what we had to
      charge. Sigh. Another get-rich scheme that didn't work....

      On retro-fashions, I have recently noted the STRONG similarity between
      what has been showing up in various catalogs (Fredricks, Victoria's
      Secret, even some of the more mainstream stuff) to what we wore in fandom
      in the 70s--one shoulder, asymetric hems, bell-bottoms with inset wedges,
      cut-outs in interesting places. Does this mean that we could figure out
      what is coming next in fashion by remembering what we wore in fandom in
      the 80s?

      And I'm thrilled with some of the stuff coming back into fashion--I have
      a T-shirt, French-cut, with a sparkly unicorn on the front, one of the
      first of that sort that came out in the mid-70s, that I've started
      wearing again, and a young woman at the county fair last week stopped me
      to tell me how much she liked my shirt.... I didn't tell her it was
      older than she was, and only later did I realize that what I should have
      said was, "It's vintage!"

      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
    • Ricky & Karen Dick
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 29, 2002
        At 12:33 PM 9/29/2002 -0700, you wrote:
        >(I think I really stunned
        >folks the year I was 7 months pregnant on Halloween AND had an important
        >meeting, and I still wore a costume.)

        That takes guts. Especially in a Corporate climate.

        >I went on to try to market goth baby clothes--that same
        >pattern made in dark reds and blacks. Didn't sell for what we had to
        >charge. Sigh. Another get-rich scheme that didn't work....

        Most Goths have no money. It seems to be part of the lifestyle.

        We sell our "Gothic" fashions to rental shops and theme parks (for use on
        their actors).

        And, by far, I've had the best luck selling corsets to the fetish crowd,
        not the Goth crowd.

        >On retro-fashions, I have recently noted the STRONG similarity between
        >what has been showing up in various catalogs (Fredricks, Victoria's
        >Secret, even some of the more mainstream stuff) to what we wore in fandom
        >in the 70s--one shoulder, asymetric hems, bell-bottoms with inset wedges,
        >cut-outs in interesting places. Does this mean that we could figure out
        >what is coming next in fashion by remembering what we wore in fandom in
        >the 80s?

        Uh, all that stuff *was* in style in the 70's. I wore most of it to
        college. You could go buy it from Frederick's of Hollywood. You could go
        buy McCall's/Simplicity/Butterick patterns for some of it (and can again
        today). I still have most of my patterns from the era because some of 'em
        had such interesting design lines. The only different things that fans did
        with it was make it out of more interesting or glitzy fabrics. My first few
        costumes (1973 / 74) were made from mainstream patterns--I just made 'em in
        lame' instead of calico. Or I'd take an insteresting swimsuit pattern (with
        side cut-outs or something) and add a long skirt onto it.

        There. Now everybody knows my secrets.

        >I didn't tell her it was older than she was, and only later did I realize
        >that what I should have
        >said was, "It's vintage!"

        Walk into any Hot Topic store, and you will see familiar t-shirts with
        Rainbow Brite, Strawberry Shortcake, My Pretty Pony, etc. on them. It's all
        cool, new, and novel to Cait; I'm having flashbacks to my youth. Y'know,
        usually designers do something to *change* retro fashions when they cycle
        in again (making miniskirts flippy instead of straight in the 80's; making
        40's fashions in satin in the 70's). Not this time. The retro stuff is
        indistinguishable from the new stuff.

        --Karen
      • Herself-the-Elf

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 29, 2002
            I second that.

            I tore a LOT of shoulder pads out of a LOT of clothes to avoid what Alison
            Frankel called the "Frankenstein on a stick" look. And I NEVER got the
            Cyndi Lauper/Boy George/Adam Ant mishmash look.

            --Karen

            At 05:18 PM 9/29/2002 -0400, you wrote:
            >Oh gawd...the 80's thing is *already* coming back, and it's scary. I've
            >seen a number of 80's-inspired clothes in the malls. Ugh, some things
            >should just DIE. They were awful in the 80's, and they're still awful. *sigh*
            >
            >--Sarcasm-hime
          • Alix Jordan
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 30, 2002
              Dear Toni:

              Strawberry Shortcake,

              It gets worse. My brother was responsible for the Strawberry Shortcake
              specials; the Care Bare movie; the Care Bear Cousins television series. (He
              was Nelvana's top writer.) I really do hate that creep.

              Peace
              Alixandra
              eddana@...

            • henryosier@cs.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 30, 2002
                "Alix Jordan" <eddana@...> wrote:
                >Dear Toni:
                >Strawberry Shortcake,
                >   It gets worse.  My brother was responsible for the Strawberry >Shortcake specials; the Care Bare movie; the Care Bear Cousins television >series.  (He was Nelvana's top writer.) I really do hate that creep.
                >Peace
                >Alixandra
                He wrote for Nelvana?! Other than that drivel for the masses, they did do some great stuff! Ever hear of a animated movie called "Rock And Rule?" It was a real sleeper back in the 80's, but it was fantastic! Music by Cheap Trick, Debra Harry of Blondie, and Iggy Pop! Some of Nelvana's smaller productions were utterly great. I think they did the fluff so they could do the cool stuff.
                Henry Osier
              • C. D. Mami
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 30, 2002
                  Toni
                  and your point is. You who keeps her computer trapped in a box never
                  letting it know the joys of playing on the internet, low these many years
                  never seeing the light of day trapped in the dark not know freedom.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 30, 2002
                    And in an Iron Mask!