Facebook

  • Aurora Celeste
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2014
      One of the directives that came out of Costume Con this year was that the ICG needs to be more proactive on Social Media.  In an attempt to do just that we now have an official facebook:

      https://www.facebook.com/internationalcostumers

      Please let all your chapter members know about this.  I'm not sure how it will evolve and how it will be used, so if you have any ideas let me know, otherwise it'll end up being whatever I can find to put on there :P

      ~Aurora
    • Richard Man
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2014
        Highly recommended but keep in mind that a) items on FB stream by pretty fast so most people don't see the posts even if they show up of their stream, and b) FB is "tweaking" their Pages shown so that on average only a small percentage (less than 10%) followers would see the post anyway.

        Talk to Betsy Delaney.

        --
        // richard
        ImageCraft: Simplifying Embedded Development
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2014
          My catchphrase for virtually all social media?

          "Know your enemy."

          Facebook groups have a marginally better chance of reaching the target audience, but only if the target audience is clueful enough to set their notifications for the group to on. Otherwise, there's no there there.

          The take-away I've heard the most on these:

          1. Email is far and away the best connectivity tool (so long as you choose a method that doesn't restrict access based on the size of the mailing list - note that I *really* hate Constant Contact at the moment.

          2. Blogging is the next best thing, but requires building a successful following. Connecting the blog to the ICG website for branding purposes is essential.

          3. There is no one good way to connect. It takes lots of different accounts.

          I have:

          LinkedIn
          Facebook
          WordPress (two sites)
          Twitter
          Google+
          Dreamwidth
          LiveJournal

          Pinterest and Instagram and the others are uncharted territory for me because they look like HUGE time-sinks. There are several other options out there, that I haven't listed. With almost 700 "friends" and a couple of followers on Facebook, Most of the time, I have about a seven percent chance of hitting someone's feed. On average, I get responses (likes or comments) from roughly 20-50 per post on the pages I manage, and that includes a following of just about 400. On my personal page, I can get as many as 90 likes or comments, depending on what I'm posting.

          And I can tell you based on my current workload at school just how much time I'm spending on each. The order above is roughly correct in terms of access. The daily video posts are on hiatus until the semester is over (next week).

          Not saying not to do it - just saying there's gonna be a lot of work involved to make it really pay off, and that includes educating folks in what to look for and where.

          YMMV!

          Cheers,

          Betsy

          Betsy Marks Delaney

          http://www.hawkeswood.com/
        • Kaijugal .
          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2014
            The 2014 Costume-Con 32 Future Fashion Folio loading video with all the featured designs has been uploaded to our facebook page and youtube.

            Thank you to all the designers who participated!

            https://www.facebook.com/CostumeCon32?fref=ts

            http://youtu.be/tYdLmSHz8cQ

            Dawn McKechnie - Costume-Con 32 Chair.
            Toronto, ON - April 25-28 2014
            www.costumecon32.com
          • Sarah Bloy

              Message 6 of 9 , May 2, 2014
                Yes to everything Richard says. And it will only get worse as they continue to monetize FB.

                Elektra
                On 5/1/2014 6:50 PM, Richard Man wrote:
[...]

                Until Midnight Editorial Services
                http://www.untilmidnight.com

                Editor and Movie Reviewer for buzzymag
                http://buzzymag.com

                https://twitter.com/elektraUM                             [Twitter]
                https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000514628819   [Facebook]

                SFWA Affiliate member

                DC 17 ~ A Bid for the 75th Worldcon
                http://dc17.org/

                Guest Liaison for Chessiecon
                http://www.chessiecon.org

              • elektra
                Message 7 of 9 , May 2, 2014
                  You're correct on group vs. page.

                  But--only people who interact with a group will see it on their feed Or if they either actively look at it or turn on notifications. The big caveat is that you can't post an important announcement on FB and expect that people will see it. Maintaining an email list of some sort is still your best bet for "must see/time dependent things."

                  Elektra
                  On 5/2/2014 9:30 AM, Sarah Bloy wrote:
[...]

                • Elaine Sims

                  Message 9 of 9 , May 3, 2014
                    Rocking the Frock | Costume Con 32: Toronto (blog w photos)

                    http://rockingthefrock.com/2014/05/01/costume-con-32-toronto/

                    http://rockingthefrock.com/2014/05/01/costume-con-32-the-miss-oz-pageant/

                    _________________________

                    Peace, Love and Costumes!  | CostumeCon32 (blog)

                    http://myemail.constantcontact.com/The-Making-of-a-Costume.html?soid=1102549393305&aid=5ui2j56fuFQ

                    "The atmosphere found there was so refreshing I have to tell you about it.
                    There is a rule among costume hobbysts; Everyone is included, no one is made
                    to feel unworthy. All levels of costume making are celebrated! The entire
                    group of over 1,000 people are joyful, respectful and all cheer each other
                    on. I can't even find the words to express how inviting and peaceful it was
                    to attend.
                    "
                    _________

                    CapsuleCorp's Bucket | CostumeCon32 (photos)

                    http://smg.photobucket.com/user/CapsuleCorp/library/CostumeCon32?sort=3&page=1

                    _____________________

                    Melting Mirror | Costume-con 32 (blog)

                    http://the-mirror-melts.weebly.com/2/post/2014/04/costumecon-32.html

                    "After about a year of planning this group, the dream came true. Kudrel, Calamity, Vickybunnyangel and I decided on a Chinese zodiac group a
                    while back as a way to create original costumes for costume-con because it
                    would be the most receptive convention for it."

                    ______________________

                    Enigmatic & Eccentric | May 3rd & 2nd  2014 (photos)

                    http://momijizukamori.tumblr.com/

                    _________________________

                    Andrea Shewe Design | Costume Chaos at Costume Con (blog)

                    (Pt 1)
                    http://www.andreaschewedesign.com/1/post/2014/05/costume-chaos-at-costume-con.html

                    (Pt 2)
                    http://www.andreaschewedesign.com/1/post/2014/05/random-wonderfulness-at-costume-con.html

                    (pt 3)
                    http://www.andreaschewedesign.com/1/post/2014/04/costume-con-being-there.html

                    _______________________

                    Eleventhphotograph (photos)

                    http://eleventhphotograph.com/events/costume-con-2014/

                    ________________________

                    Jayuna Tumbler (blog)

                    http://jayuna.tumblr.com/

                    "Went to an amazing con this weekend, more of a conference really than anything I’ve been to before, and though I didn’t get as much time to be
                    there as I wanted due to family commitments that came up on the sunday, I
                    had an amazing time at Costume-Con 32!!"

                    _______________________

                    Miss Mina Murray | Costume-Con 32 (blog & pics)

                    http://www.minamurray.com/blog/blog/costume-con-32

                    Comic Culture International News | EP01 (video, watch from 6:00)

                    http://comicbookculture.ca/tag/costume-con/

                    http://www.tumblr.com/search/knave%20of%20hearts/recent

                    Roger in Focus.com | SF&F Costume-Con 2014 (pictures)

                    http://rogerinfocus.com/adventures/trade-shows/?wppa-album=219&wppa-cover=0&wppa-occur=1