Re: 3D measuring Session at CostumeCon? Posted by: "Steve Swope"

  • ARD
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 25, 2014
      Well, that's an idea. Sort of like a practical workshop? It would require:

      - A room
      - measuring tapes
      - measuring charts for people to record the information, pens
      - people to wear socially acceptable foundation clothes that they can be
      measured in.
      - some discussion on which measurements are most important to which
      pattern/sloper pieces.

      Could we do that? At some future CostumeCon maybe we could have that 3-D
      laser measurement system when the price comes down.

      This is my list of body measurements ...... what would the list be for
      males?

      BODY MEASUREMENTS (female)

      MEASURES, ROUNDED TO NEAREST HALF (cm) OR QUARTER (in)
      L/R = left and right measures

      Measurement
      Description
      Value (cm or in.) (L/R)

      Neck
      tape measure comfortably around base of neck for collar size

      Neck Width
      horizontal measure between two ends of string hanging down from around
      the neck

      Shoulder (L/R)
      side base of neck to outer point of shoulder

      Shoulder width
      horizontal width between outer points of shoulders

      Upper chest
      around chest, above the bust

      Bust
      around chest, widest part of back, under arms, over apex of the bust,
      taking a full breath

      Apex Width - Bust to Bust
      distance between nipples across apex of bust taking a full breath

      Front, Across Bosom/Bust
      from side seam to side seam across apex of boson, taking a full breath

      Bust - back
      from side seam to side seam across back at bust level

      Ribcage
      around ribcage, just below the bosom

      Waist
      string tied around narrowest part of torso, taking a full breath
      (stomach pushed out)

      Neck to Waist
      from imaginary line of base of neck, down center chest to waist string

      Collarbone to Waist
      from neck through hollow at collarbone center to waist string

      Center Front to Ribcage
      from neck through hollow at collarbone center to point just below the
      breast

      Collarbone to Apex - Side Front to Bust
      from collarbone center to imaginary line between nipples

      Side Front to Waist (L/R)
      From where shoulder seam meets neckline to waist.

      Bust to Shoulder (L/R)
      From shoulder point to bust apex

      Arm Length (L/R)
      from shoulder joint to wrist bone with hand resting on hip (using
      weighted tape measure)

      Under Armpit to Waist (L/R)
      under armpit to waist

      Shoulder to Elbow (L/R)
      from shoulder joint to elbow center (using weighted tape measure)

      Sleeve Cap (L/R)
      from shoulder point to point down arm where band is at highest
      comfortable point up arm

      Upper Arm (L/R)
      around bicep, widest part of upper arm, with arm flexed

      Elbow (L/R)
      around elbow (elbow flexed)

      Wrist (L/R)
      around wrist

      Palm (L/R)
      around palm at widest part

      Back Length to Waist
      from large neck bone at base of neck to waistline string, standing up
      straight (using weighted tape measure)

      Side Back (L/R)
      from side-seam and neckline intersection to waist

      Center Back Waist to Shoulder (L/R)
      from shoulder point to center back waist

      High Hip
      around fullest part of hip and buttocks (often 23 cm/9 in below
      waistline string)

      Low Hip
      around high point of thighs at base of buttocks, (often 23 cm/9 in)
      below waistline string

      Crotch Length
      from waistline string in back under crotch to waistline string in front

      Crotch In-seam (front)
      from front waistline string, down to point where a weight hangs from
      tape measure

      Crotch In-seam (back)
      from back waistline string, down to point where a weight hangs from
      tape measure

      Crotch Depth
      sitting, from waist down to flat chair

      Pant leg In-seam
      from center seam, down inside of leg to pant hem, measured from a pair
      of pants that fit

      Thigh (L/R)
      around widest part of thigh below crotch

      Leg width (L/R)
      distance from front of leg to back of leg just below the buttocks, seen
      from the side

      knee (L/R)
      around the knee just above the kneecap

      Dress Length
      from large neck bone at base of neck to about 5 cm below the knees,
      standing up straight (using weighted tape measure)

      Center Front to Knees - Knee Length
      from neck through hollow at collarbone center to just above kneecap

      Center Front to Floor
      from neck through hollow at collarbone center to floor

      Skirt Length
      from waistline string to about 5 cm below the knees

      Street Length
      from waistline string to about 5 cm below kneecap (using weighted tape
      measure)

      Mid-Calf Length
      from waistline string to about mid-calf (using weighted tape measure)

      Ankle Length
      from waistline string to center of ankle bone (using weighted tape measure)

      Floor Length
      from waistline string to floor (using weighted tape measure)

      Back Ankle Length
      from back waistline string, down back to ankle bone (using weighted
      tape measure)

      Back Floor Length
      from back waistline string, down back to floor (using weighted tape
      measure)

      On 2/19/2014 4:05 AM, ICG-D@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      > 1b. Re: 3D measuring Session at CostumeCon? Posted by: "Steve Swope"
      > phierma@... phierma Date: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:45 pm ((PST))
      > ARD wrote:
      >> ><sigh> I was afraid of that. I was hoping that the scanning equipment
      >> >could just be rented and it wouldn't be too bad.
      >> >
      >> >So, we'll have to stick with measuring ourselves with tape measures and
      >> >string for now. But it might be worth it to keep an eye on the
      >> >technology for a future CostumeCon. Prices for things like that go down
      >> >all the time and maybe there will be more rental opportunities, too.
      > We could always get together for a measuring party, and take one
      > another's measurements.

      It is now clear that the Krell** never invented an internet.
      Because if they had, they would have known about that id problem.

      **The Krell: the super-beings from the movie 'Forbidden Planet'
      who destroyed themselves overnight after linking their minds to the
      nearly unlimited energy source that powered their civilization and
      unleashing the dark id lurking beneath their vast intellects.
      - - Anne Davenport - - - - - - - - - - kjaneway@... - -
    • ma0902432
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 26, 2014
        If one or two experienced folks would step up and be willing to moderate, I can plan to have this included as a workshop for CC33.

        Lisa A
        CC33 Program Track Director

        On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 23:25:17 -0600 ARD <kjaneway@...> writes:
        > Well, that's an idea. Sort of like a practical workshop? It
        would
        > require:
        >
        > - A room
        > - measuring
        tapes
        > - measuring charts for people to record the information,
        pens
        > - people to wear socially acceptable foundation clothes that they
        > can be
        > measured in.
        > - some discussion on which
        measurements are most important to which

        > pattern/sloper
        pieces.

        > Could we do that? At some future CostumeCon maybe we
        could have that
        > 3-D
        > laser measurement system when the price
        comes down.

        > This is my list of body measurements
        ...... what would the list be
        > for
        > males?
        >

        > BODY MEASUREMENTS (female)
        >
        > MEASURES, ROUNDED TO
        NEAREST HALF (cm) OR QUARTER (in)
        > L/R = left and right measures
        >
        > Measurement

        Description
        > Value (cm or
        in.) (L/R)

        Neck
        > tape measure
        comfortably around base of neck for collar

        size

        > Neck
        Width
        > horizontal measure
        between two ends of string hanging down from
        > around
        > the
        neck

        > Shoulder
        (L/R)
        > side base of neck
        to outer point of shoulder

        Shoulder width

        horizontal width between outer points of shoulders

        > Upper
        chest
        > around chest,
        above the bust

        Bust
        > around chest,
        widest part of back, under arms, over apex of the
        > bust,
        > taking
        a full breath

        Apex Width - Bust to Bust
        > distance between
        nipples across apex of bust taking a full

        breath

        > Front,
        Across Bosom/Bust
        > from
        side seam to side seam across apex of boson, taking a full

        breath

        > Bust -
        back
        > from side seam to
        side seam across back at bust level

        Ribcage
        > around ribcage,
        just below the bosom

        > Waist
        > string
        tied around narrowest part of torso, taking a full breath
        > (stomach
        pushed out)

        Neck to Waist
        > from
        imaginary line of base of neck, down center chest to waist

        string

        Collarbone to Waist
        > from
        neck through hollow at collarbone center to waist string

        > Center Front
        to Ribcage
        > from neck
        through hollow at collarbone center to point just below
        > the

        breast

        Collarbone to Apex - Side Front to Bust
        > from collarbone
        center to imaginary line between nipples

        > Side
        Front to Waist (L/R)
        >  From where shoulder seam meets neckline to
        waist.

        > Bust to
        Shoulder (L/R)
        From shoulder point to bust apex

        > Arm Length
        (L/R)
        > from shoulder joint to wrist bone with hand resting on hip (using
        > weighted tape
        measure)

        > Under
        Armpit to Waist (L/R)
        > under armpit to
        waist

        > Shoulder
        to Elbow (L/R)
        > from shoulder joint to elbow center (using weighted tape
        > measure)
        >
        > Sleeve Cap (L/R)
        > from shoulder point to point down arm where
        band is at highest
        > comfortable point up
        arm

        > Upper Arm
        (L/R)
        > around bicep, widest part of upper arm, with arm
        flexed

        > Elbow
        (L/R)
        > around elbow (elbow
        flexed)

        > Wrist
        (L/R)
        > around
        wrist

        > Palm
        (L/R)
        > around palm at widest
        part

        > Back
        Length to Waist
        > from
        large neck bone at base of neck to waistline string, standing
        > up
        > straight (using weighted tape
        measure)

        > Side
        Back (L/R)
        > from
        side-seam and neckline intersection to waist

        > Center
        Back Waist to Shoulder (L/R)
        > from shoulder
        point to center back waist

        > High
        Hip
        > around fullest part
        of hip and buttocks (often 23 cm/9 in below
        > waistline
        string)

        > Low
        Hip
        > around high point of
        thighs at base of buttocks, (often 23 cm/9 in)

        > below waistline
        string

        > Crotch
        Length
        > from waistline
        string in back under crotch to waistline string in

        front

        > Crotch
        In-seam (front)
        > from
        front waistline string, down to point where a weight hangs from

        > tape measure
        >
        > Crotch In-seam
        (back)
        > from back
        waistline string, down to point where a weight hangs from

        > tape
        measure

        > Crotch
        Depth
        > sitting, from
        waist down to flat chair

        > Pant leg
        In-seam
        > from center
        seam, down inside of leg to pant hem, measured from a
        > pair
        > of
        pants that fit

        Thigh (L/R)
        > around widest part of thigh below
        crotch

        > Leg
        width (L/R)
        > distance
        from front of leg to back of leg just below the buttocks,
        > seen

        from the side

        knee (L/R)
        > around the knee just above the
        kneecap

        > Dress
        Length
        > from large neck
        bone at base of neck to about 5 cm below the knees,

        > standing
        up straight (using weighted tape measure)

        > Center
        Front to Knees - Knee Length
        > from neck through
        hollow at collarbone center to just above

        kneecap

        > Center
        Front to Floor
        > from neck
        through hollow at collarbone center to floor

        > Skirt
        Length
        > from waistline
        string to about 5 cm below the knees

        > Street
        Length
        > from waistline
        string to about 5 cm below kneecap (using weighted
        > tape

        measure)

        Mid-Calf Length
        > from
        waistline string to about mid-calf (using weighted tape

        measure)

        > Ankle
        Length
        > from waistline
        string to center of ankle bone (using weighted tape

        measure)

        > Floor
        Length
        > from waistline
        string to floor (using weighted tape

        measure)

        > Back
        Ankle Length
        > from back
        waistline string, down back to ankle bone (using weighted

        > tape
        measure)

        > Back
        Floor Length

        href="mailto:phierma@...">phierma@... phierma Date: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:45 pm
        > ((PST))

        equipment
        bad.

        measuring ourselves with tape
        > measures and
        for now. But it might be worth it to keep an eye on the
        > go
        down
        > too.
        > > We could always get together for a
        measuring party, and take one
        > > another's measurements.
        > >

        > --

        > It
        is now clear that the Krell** never invented an internet.
        > Because if
        they had, they would have known about that id problem.

        > **The
        Krell: the super-beings from the movie 'Forbidden Planet'
        > who destroyed
        themselves overnight after linking their minds to the
        > nearly unlimited
        energy source that powered their civilization and
        > unleashing the dark id
        lurking beneath their vast intellects.

        - - Anne Davenport - - - - - - - - - - kjaneway@... - -

        > <*> Your email settings:

        Individual Email | Traditional

        > <*> To change settings
        online go to:

        (Yahoo! ID required)

        > <*> To change settings via
        email:

        href="mailto:ICG-D-digest@yahoogroups.com">ICG-D-digest@yahoogroups.com

        href="mailto:ICG-D-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com">ICG-D-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        > <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
        to:

        > <*> Your use of Yahoo Groups is subject
        to:

        href="https://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/">https://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 26, 2014
          The Pups gathered one another's measurements at a workshop last spring.  It was a lot of fun.  One or more of us might be willing to do it.

          Byron

          On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 12:25 AM, ARD <kjaneway@...> wrote:

[...]

          From where shoulder seam meets neckline to waist.

          Bust to Shoulder (L/R)
          From shoulder point to bust apex

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 26, 2014
            That would be awesome Byron--I"m adding this to the CC33 list.

            Lisa a

            On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 19:08:16 -0500 Byron Connell
            <byronpconnell@...> writes:

[...]

            From where shoulder seam meets neckline to waist.

            Bust to Shoulder (L/R)
            From shoulder point to bust apex

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 26, 2014
              I'll mention it at our meeting on March 29.

              Byron

              <byronpconnell@...> writes:

[...]

              From where shoulder seam meets neckline to waist.

              Bust to Shoulder (L/R)
              From shoulder point to bust apex

> [...]

              >> >So, we'll have to stick with measuring ourselves with tape measures
              and
              >> >string for now. But it might be worth it to keep an eye on the
              >> >technology for a future CostumeCon. Prices for things like that go
              down
              >> >all the time and maybe there will be more rental opportunities, too.
              > We could always get together for a measuring party, and take one
              > another's measurements.

              It is now clear that the Krell** never invented an internet.
              Because if they had, they would have known about that id problem.

              **The Krell: the super-beings from the movie 'Forbidden Planet'
              who destroyed themselves overnight after linking their minds to the
              nearly unlimited energy source that powered their civilization and
              unleashing the dark id lurking beneath their vast intellects.

            • von_drago
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 26, 2014

                This sounds like a great idea cause it's often difficult to measure yourself correctly.

                Nora