3D measuring Session at CostumeCon?

  • ARD
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 15, 2014
      I've been reading about and practicing tailoring techniques and
      everything starts with measuring. But there is only so much you can do
      with measuring yourself.

      Is there any way we could get something like this at CostumeCon?

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJTQE_d9U54
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWspx1Q0ToA
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A76cL8s5dwY

      These are youtube videos about portable 3D laser body scanners. Ooooh,
      so much nicer than measuring tape and soooooo 21st century.

      We couldn't rent something like that for a long session/workshop for
      CostumeCon? I'd be willing to chip in for that. Or is there a nearby
      mall that has one for a post-con excursion?

      It is now clear that the Krell** never invented an internet.
      Because if they had, they would have known about that id problem.

      **The Krell: the super-beings from the movie 'Forbidden Planet'
      who destroyed themselves overnight after linking their minds to the
      nearly unlimited energy source that powered their civilization and
      unleashing the dark id lurking beneath their vast intellects.
      - - Anne Davenport - - - - - - - - - - kjaneway@... - -
    • Jill Eastlake
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 15, 2014
        Hey Anne,

        What a great idea!  I like the first one best.  I've sent an email off to the manufacturer to find out how to buy or rent one and asked the price.  We'll see what comes of that.

        Smiles,

        Jill

      • ARD
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 16, 2014
          Cool. I hope you have some success and there is some place around
          Toronto where equipment like that can be found, but I fear that the cost
          might still be too much. I can volunteer to help out with any kind of
          workshop if you need it.

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 17, 2014
            OK, so the story is that the system costs $2450 plus a monthly charge.

            Too rich for me.  If someone else is interested I can forward the info.

            Jill

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 18, 2014
              <sigh> I was afraid of that. I was hoping that the scanning equipment
              could just be rented and it wouldn't be too bad.

              So, we'll have to stick with measuring ourselves with tape measures and
              string for now. But it might be worth it to keep an eye on the
              technology for a future CostumeCon. Prices for things like that go down
              all the time and maybe there will be more rental opportunities, too.

              On 2/18/2014 4:05 AM, ICG-D@yahoogroups.com wrote:
              > 1a. Re: 3D measuring Session at CostumeCon?
              > Posted by: "Jill Eastlake"jill@... eastlakegroup
              > Date: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:55 pm ((PST))
              >
              > OK, so the story is that the system costs $2450 plus a monthly charge.
              >
              > Too rich for me. If someone else is interested I can forward the info.
              >
              > Jill

              It is now clear that the Krell** never invented an internet.
              Because if they had, they would have known about that id problem.

              **The Krell: the super-beings from the movie 'Forbidden Planet'
              who destroyed themselves overnight after linking their minds to the
              nearly unlimited energy source that powered their civilization and
              unleashing the dark id lurking beneath their vast intellects.
              - - Anne Davenport - - - - - - - - - - kjaneway@... - -
            • Steve Swope
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 18, 2014
                ARD wrote:
                > <sigh> I was afraid of that. I was hoping that the scanning equipment
                > could just be rented and it wouldn't be too bad.
                >
                > So, we'll have to stick with measuring ourselves with tape measures and
                > string for now. But it might be worth it to keep an eye on the
                > technology for a future CostumeCon. Prices for things like that go down
                > all the time and maybe there will be more rental opportunities, too.

                We could always get together for a measuring party, and take one
                another's measurements.

                --

                Steve Swope (aka phierma@...)
              • ARD
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 27, 2014
                  I'm afraid my only experience is measuring, but if you need any warm
                  bodies to help out, I can do that for CC33.