WorldCon and CostumeCon Intimidation

  • Aurora Celeste
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 27, 2014
      I've spent the last few weeks at cons either officially or unofficially promoting WorldCon and CostumeCon and their masquerades.  It's been a little depressing.  I meet so many people who think that they are absolutely unattainable and that beginners need not apply.  It's frustrating to try and dispel the mystique that's built up.  I was trying to brainstorm some solutions, and I came up with what seemed like an easy one.  We need to get a WorldCon or two and a few Costume Cons to bite the bullet and pay for Masquerade coverage to be available online.  Simulcast would be nice, but even on YouTube afterward would be a great resource to point people to and say "see?  The stuff you do wins prizes and is respected and lauded.  You would be welcome."  I understand that selling videos is a revenue stream but, honestly, how much revenue does it generate?  Is there a way for a con to pay that 'expected' cost and give to the greater community in an effort to get more attendance and participation in the future?  YouTube masquerade research is how many competitors nowadays research the cons they are thinking of attending, and I think that not having this 'advertising' and outreach is really hurting us.

      Something to think on,

      ~Aurora
    • Nora & Bruce Mai
      Message 35 of 35 , Apr 18, 2014

        Since Nora is effectively the Gallery Admin these days, and she's beginning to work on "slideshow" productions now, she should be included as well.

        Bruce