Re: Dragoncon

  • ARD
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 16, 2013
      Thank-you for posting this link, Sue!

      CNN finally covered it -- DragonCon is literally 6 blocks away from the
      CNN building in Atlanta. And I notice they covered the Ed Kramer problem
      that DragonCon finally divorced itself from by reforming the corporation
      away from him. Apparently his trial is in December.

      DC is a lot of fun, but wow is it getting crowded and just about
      impossible to get a room in one of the main hotels. I can get a ride to
      it, so it's much cheaper than Worldcon (tho' I'm still going to London
      next year).

      The catch-phrase that I use for DragonCon is "Hall Costuming Heaven,
      Masquerade Hell". I love hall costumes, but the costume contests at
      DragonCon have the organizational level slightly more sophisticated than
      a Halloween costume contest at a bar. Aurora Celeste had done some
      notable work on upping their standards (I haven't seen any Main
      Masquerade entries wearing their con badges for a few years) and, Hey, I
      saw Marty Geer at DC -- he Fed-Exed his luggage to the hotel (he said is
      made the airport experience so much nicer) and was a judge for at least
      one or two Workmanship Costume Contests.

      I won Best Master Level Costume for my Sister of The Flame costume from
      the 4th-Doctor Who episode 'The Brain of Morbius'. This costume had been
      on my 'repair' list for ages since the hot glue and bathing cap had
      deteriorated since I made it in 1985. I did not go to the 'pre-judging'
      listed in the program for this, but they were still accepting entries at
      the 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who Party and I filled out the form and
      talked to the judges on a whim. One of them recognized the costume since
      he had a copy of the episode on DVD.

      I need to write this up for the Virtual Costumer .... give me a week or so.

      On 9/1/2013 3:54 AM, ICG-D@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      > 2a. Dragoncon
      > Posted by: "Susan Toker"susantoker@... lynsepotter
      > Date: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:10 pm ((PDT))
      >
      > Some pictures from the Friday Workmanship Masquerade
      > http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/30/living/dragon-con-2013/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

      It is now clear that the Krell** never invented an internet.
      Because if they had, they would have known about that id problem.

      **The Krell: the super-beings from the movie 'Forbidden Planet'
      who destroyed themselves overnight after linking their minds to the
      nearly unlimited energy source that powered their civilization and
      unleashing the dark id lurking beneath their vast intellects.
      - - Anne Davenport - - - - - - - - - - kjaneway@... - -