LonCon

  • Aurora Celeste
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 9, 2013
      Does anyone have any information on the LonCon Masquerade?  Here's what's on the website:  The Masquerade at Loncon 3 is being run by Giulia De Cesare, assisted by Kathy Westhead and Clare Goodall. The Masquerade will take place on Saturday night (16 August 2014) in the ICC Auditorium.

      My question is really more: What are European Masquerades like?  Will it be like we're used to, or are there strange (to us) things to keep in mind?  Anyone ever compete in England or elsewhere in Europe?

      ~Aurora
    • John O'Halloran
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 9, 2013
        Giulia ran the Masquerade in 2005 and did a good job.  At the time it was her first Masq and she was smart enough to defer to the experienced folks she brought in.  Like Chris & I for stage management.

        I don't recal any major differences between how she ran the Masq &  a US style Masq.

        Any issues were venue related as we were in a "real theatre"

        JohnO

        Sent from my iPhone so any typos are its fault.

        On Sep 9, 2013, at 8:01 PM, Aurora Celeste <auroraceleste@...> wrote:

        Does anyone have any information on the LonCon Masquerade?  Here's what's on the website:  The Masquerade at Loncon 3 is being run by Giulia De Cesare, assisted by Kathy Westhead and Clare Goodall. The Masquerade will take place on Saturday night (16 August 2014) in the ICC Auditorium.

        My question is really more: What are European Masquerades like?  Will it be like we're used to, or are there strange (to us) things to keep in mind?  Anyone ever compete in England or elsewhere in Europe?

        ~Aurora

      • ma0902432
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 10, 2013
          I competed at the Glasgow Worldcon in 1995. For the most part, it seemed
          to be run like a large Worldcon masquerade that we are used to. I
          recall that they did use the Division system, although I think there was
          a little more "flexibility", the Judges awarded some costumes in a higher
          division than the one they entered in. There were several Green Rooms
          because of the number and sizeof some of the presentations. It was an
          awesome masquerade, and I made a lot of new friends.

          There were rehearsals.

          That said, I cannot really speak to the "standard" or common way of
          European MAsquerades and how they do things.

          Yours in costumign, Lisa A

          On Mon, 9 Sep 2013 23:01:38 -0400 Aurora Celeste
          <auroraceleste@...> writes:

          Does anyone have any information on the LonCon Masquerade? Here's what's
          on the website: The Masquerade at Loncon 3 is being run by Giulia De
          Cesare, assisted by Kathy Westhead and Clare Goodall. The Masquerade will
          take place on Saturday night (16 August 2014) in the ICC Auditorium.

          My question is really more: What are European Masquerades like? Will it
          be like we're used to, or are there strange (to us) things to keep in
          mind? Anyone ever compete in England or elsewhere in Europe?

          ~Aurora

        • Lay, Toni (DDC)
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 10, 2013
            Aurora,

            The only European masquerade I've been to was the one at the last English Worldcon in 1987 and it was pitifully staged. The entries cam out on the floor of a large ballroom with banquet tables, which I believe you paid extra for. It was stated that the tables would have the best views of the cosdtumes. WRONG!! Unless you were at one of the tables in the first row you had to stand up to see anything. Luckily, those who didn't pat extra sat in the balcony (ME!) and had a great view of the costumes.

            This is not to say this is what will happen this time around, but this was my only experience with European masquerades.

            Toni

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 10, 2013
              I was in charge of the half-time at the Glasgow masquerade (we did a NA vs Europe Iron Costumer) and Giulia did a good job.
              While I'm not on Masquerade staff (Andy and I are head of the Costume, Cosplay and Style program track) I think you can expect the sort of masquerade we're used to.  There is a sizeable North American contingent who have joined the staff for London.

              I'll also note that conferring with the MD and shifting someone's division where appropriate has also happened at Costume-Cons and other Worldcons; it just doesn't happen very often.

              Kevin

              PS Going to LonCon? Want to be involved in said Costume, etc. program? Drop me a line!

              On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 8:17 AM, Lay, Toni (DDC) <layt@...> wrote:
[...]

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  ICG-D-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  ICG-D-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 10, 2013
                  I've never been to a European masquerade.  I've been to two British worldcon masquerades, however.  They were no different than a worldcon masquerade in North America.  I anticipate that the Loncon masquerade will be similar.  I know the MD; she has experience working on masquerades in the States as well as elsewhere.

                  Byron

                  On Sep 9, 2013, at 11:01 PM, Aurora Celeste <auroraceleste@...> wrote:

                  Does anyone have any information on the LonCon Masquerade?  Here's what's on the website:  The Masquerade at Loncon 3 is being run by Giulia De Cesare, assisted by Kathy Westhead and Clare Goodall. The Masquerade will take place on Saturday night (16 August 2014) in the ICC Auditorium.

                  My question is really more: What are European Masquerades like?  Will it be like we're used to, or are there strange (to us) things to keep in mind?  Anyone ever compete in England or elsewhere in Europe?

                  ~Aurora

                • ARD
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 16, 2013
                    I was on the North American team at that half-time and I noticed that
                    when we came off the stage most of the seats in the hall were still
                    full, so I'd say it was very successful (tho' the European team's
                    Marilyn Monroe did beat out our slightly gay pope). The rest of the
                    Masquerade ran as most of them do (the play-by-play of Terry Pratchett
                    writing was particularly simple, but hysterical at the same time).

                    On 9/11/2013 4:14 AM, ICG-D@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                    > 1c. Re: LonCon
                    > Posted by: "Kevin Roche"kevin@... sjleather
                    > Date: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:43 am ((PDT))
                    >
                    > I was in charge of the half-time at the Glasgow masquerade (we did a NA vs
                    > Europe Iron Costumer) and Giulia did a good job.
                    > While I'm not on Masquerade staff (Andy and I are head of the Costume,
                    > Cosplay and Style program track) I think you can expect the sort of
                    > masquerade we're used to. There is a sizeable North American contingent
                    > who have joined the staff for London.
                    >
                    > I'll also note that conferring with the MD and shifting someone's division
                    > where appropriate has also happened at Costume-Cons and other Worldcons; it
                    > just doesn't happen very often.
                    >
                    > Kevin

                    It is now clear that the Krell** never invented an internet.
                    Because if they had, they would have known about that id problem.

                    **The Krell: the super-beings from the movie 'Forbidden Planet'
                    who destroyed themselves overnight after linking their minds to the
                    nearly unlimited energy source that powered their civilization and
                    unleashing the dark id lurking beneath their vast intellects.
                    - - Anne Davenport - - - - - - - - - - kjaneway@... - -