Re: [ICG-D] Re: Removing paint- revisting

  • BlueCosplayAngel
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 9, 2013

      I would recommend a light sanding. Not only will it remove any imperfections in a prior paint job but it will make the areas more conducive to adherence of any new paint product.

      On Sep 8, 2013 4:10 PM, "Nora" <von_drago@...> wrote:

      Hey, Patrick:

      I went to a couple of "big boxes" today, finally getting around to this project, and no one could seem to point to a product.   Do you know of one off-hand?

      Failing that, I found this list:  http://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/search?tbl=TblChemicals&queryx=75-09-2

      Any recommendations?

      Bruce

      --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick" wrote:

      > Bruce--
      >
      > Methylene chloride (available at a number of Big Box stores) will soften paint so it can be removed from nylon. Vinyl may be OK--Polyethylene and nylon for sure. Perspex, Acrylite or Plexiglass--no. They are (polymerized) Methyl Methacrylate, A.K.A. Acrylic plastic.
      > But be sure it's really 'nylon'! Methylene chloride will dissolve acrylic plastics like Methyl Methacrylate!
      >
      > Test a drop or two to see if it softens the plastic and makes it sticky. If not--it isn't acrylic and the methylene chloride paint stripper will work ok.
      >
      > Pat O'Connor
      >
      > --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, "Nora & Bruce Mai" casamai@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Howdy:
      > >

      > > Thought I'd throw this out on the list and see what comes out of the
      > > "collective mind".
      > >

      > > I have two items I'm thinking I need to remove paint from. They are nylon
      > > (I think) boots and leather (I think - maybe vinyl) ski gloves. I painted
      > > them both silver many years ago. The problem at the time was/is, it didn't
      > > stick to the nylon boots very well because the boots flex when walking in
      > > them. And for some reason, even after all these years, there are sticky
      > > spots on the gloves.
      > >

      > > So, what I'm thinking, is stripping the old paint off and repainting them -
      > > I don't think I primed them last time. The boots, I think, I'm going to
      > > cover them with something like Crystal Gel first, so that the paint won't
      > > flake off this time.
      > >

      > > What would be the best paint remover that won't ruin my surfaces?
      > >

      > > Bruce

    • Nora & Bruce Mai
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 22, 2013

        Thought I'd pop in, say thanks to Patrick and share a quick bit of knowledge with the list.

        Found an "environmentally safe" paint stripper called "Citristrip" which worked pretty well on my nylon surface.    It took a little time, but it all came off without damaging the boots I'm working with.   Nice thing about the stuff is it has an orange-y smell and supposedly can be used indoors (although with the usual mess stripping paint makes, I wouldn't recommend it).    It supposedly can be used on fabric, which is a plus.   Again - best to test it first.   Cost from one of the smaller, more old-style hardware stores we frequent was about $14.

        Less than 2 weeks to go until Archon - Ack!

        Bruce