Fwd: Notes from the LSC3 After Program Item

  • Jill Eastlake
    Message 1 of 42 , Sep 5 9:58 AM

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Jill Eastlake <jill@...>
      Date: Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 12:57 PM
      Subject: Notes from the LSC3 After Program Item
      To: Jill Eastlake <jill@...>

      Hi Everyone,

      I'm shipping this to you because we all may learn something from it.

      I want to THANK everyone who was involved in the LoneStarCon 3 Masquerade in any capacity.  The show went off very well.

      I want to APOLOGIZE if there are some negative comments here about certain things.  We all did the best we could.

      And, I want to APOLOGIZE for any obvious misquotes - because these are not quotes.  I don't write that fast.  What I do hope is that I caught the core meaning of the comments.

      These are in the order which the were made.  Stuff in (parenthesis) are my comments on the comments.

      Smiles,

      Jill

      Food in the Masquerade Green Room was fabulous (I agree!  Dave D'Antonio and Gay Ellen Dennett ordered the food, and it was!)

      Speakers on the video were hard to hear at the far end of the MGR (Masquerade Green Room) (and, the screen and speakers were at the B side of the MGR, near "Video-land", as planned.  This may have been a mistake.)

      Rotsler's Rules were sometimes insulting, especially the one about leotards (I selected various of the Rotsler's Rules to put in the pre-show slides.  Some were originals, and some were the newer ones.  People are touchier these days than I thought.)

      Great comment on the MGR screen!  There should have been one at the far end as well.

      Some would have preferred the description of the costumes both before AND after they appeared on stage.  For preparation and review.  (We explained that we had asked the entrant what they wanted and did that either before or after they appeared on stage.  It never occurred to me to repeat the announcement.)

      Traffic flow to Fan Photography should not have been through the MGR, where people would get distracted (we beamed that the traffic flow didn't involve any back corridors, kitchens OR elevators)

      Great comment on the quality of Official Photo (yeah Philip!)

      Judge's photos were problematic (yes, the printer - it's always the printer!  Thanks to Kerry for capturing the essence of the entries.  I saw the photos being used well during judges' deliberations, which was the point)

      Great comment on the ability to navigate backstage (yeah Paul, z!, and everyone on the Technical Services staff who contributed to the design!)

      Request for a checklist for inside the MGR similar to the excellent one that got the entrants there (and thanks to Kathy and Sharon and others for helping me make the checklist we did have work well and fit on one side of one page!)

      The Den Mom in a specific den was unclueful (I'll let DDA know who that was quietly)

      Great comment on the completeness, usefulness, and skill of Tina on the Repair Kit (and thanks to Kathy, Stacey and Tina for making it so!)

      Loved the full length and hand mirrors.

      Super comment on the Den Mom for Den 1!

      The limit of 50 entries online and via email was problematic.  There were people scared to enter because they thought that 1. they may be shutting others out if they scratched, 2. they may be shut out by others, or 3. they thought there would be too many people entering.  So, some were discouraged by the published limit while others were encouraged to sign up early to reserve their place.  (I don't know how to fix this)

      Suggestion that there be some kind of estimated time to finish from the judges to the MGR, from time to time.

      Request to mention in the MGR what is ok to do or not for the entrants so they won't feel trapped at half time

      New people are confused by the habit of calling this show the "Masquerade" as some believed that it was a party rather than a competition stage show.  We need to somehow inform people about this if they haven't been here before OR read the website.  (Agreed)

      Would like to know that it's ok to mingle in the hallways with the audience during half time (some knew this and others didn't)

      Suggestion that we break after the entry run through, have a party, or at least release everyone to parties.  And, announce the winners the next day in writing rather than tie up the entrants for the rest of the evening.

    • Barb Schofield
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 15 1:15 PM

        Comments in blue added by Barb.
        On Sep 6, 2013, at 7:03 PM, Byron P Connell <byronpconnell@...> wrote:

        > Some comments below.

        Byron commenting on thoughts by Susan Toker and Carole Parker.

        [….]

        > Byron: Many potential entrants decide not to enter because they perceive (perhaps incorrectly) that the level of quality is beyond them.  I couldn't possibly. . . " is something I hear all too often.  Beyond clear information for entrants, perhaps what cons need to post on web sites is images of the entries that didn't win an award, and/or "testimonials" from "average" costumers about their experiences in the masquerade.  We costumers ought to address this when we'e promoting cons.

        Agreed. We you see such fantastic stuff on the stage, it is very easy for a newbie/novice to think that they couldn't come up with the quality of stuff that appears on the stage. I know that I had that thought for a very long time. That's why I was a den mom for so long. It gave me an opportunity to see stuff up close, and potentially how to construct costumes to be seen on the stage rather than in the hallways.

        I saw this at Costume Con 2 with the historical masquerade.  Fans dressed up in wonderful historical garb but were afraid of the stress and criticism involved in competition.

        My first thought of seeing costumes on stage at NASFIC in 1979 and Worldcon in 1980 was “I can do this”.

        >> [….]
        >>> Susan: (p.s.) Having a Masked Ball (with possibly a theme) would be a good addition to the convention nighttime program and asking a local cosplay "DJ" might even be better.
        >>
        >> Carole: While a potential good idea, the problem comes in with how the conventions use their space and timing. With a lot of conventions seeming to be "anti-masquerade," that idea might get some resistance.
        >
        > Byron: Many cons (e.g., worldcons, Arisia, Philcon) have dances.  One might be masked without changing much.

        Great idea. I'll have to see whether we can get something similar incorporated into out local steampunk convention (Clockwork Alchemy).
        At Polaris in Toronto I started a Friday Night costume party somewhat similar to Costume Con’s Friday Night Social.  There was a theme for each party with decorations, a door prize, free photos against theme backdrops, and contests.  We have done vampires, pirates, Doctor Who, Star Trek, and last year the Mayan Apocalypse with Zombies.  One big change is that we encourage fans that are not costumes to dress up in purchased or rented costumes and give separate prizes to this category.  Rather than divisions we give out costume prizes such as best male and best female costume etc.  When cheaper commercial costumes from China started to become available the adult Halloween market exploded.  Lots of fans want to dress up and party and there should be a place for them at some costume events.  It also makes it easier to get a lot of con attendees together for a social event rather than having the perception that the event is just for costumers.  Many cons have less going on Friday nights and it’s easier to get space to hold a party.

        [….]

        >>> Susan: 4) It might take some research on judging time needed (and the time to print out awards), but setting a time for when the awards are announced would allow people to roam or party for a while.  I suspect some people don't or can't wait until the next day.
        >
        > Often, calligraphy is used for the names, entry title, and award titles, making it virtually impossible to have cerrtificates available the same evening.

        With laptop computers, you can create a certificate form before the convention, and then fill in the blanks by typing in the name, entry title, and award titles. A lot of form capable programs have calligraphy-like typestyles available, so that can speed things up if you have a good quality printer available. I believe Kevin and Andy have done something along those lines for their masquerades, and TorCon III did that process, I believe.

        I still have the certificate that says I got an award for dieing rather than dyeing as a humorous reminder to myself. I also have the corrected form up on my wall, too.
        We have been doing this for years at Toronto cons.  With easily portable laptops and printers the job of certificate preparation takes much less time and looks professional.  We no longer have the judges sign the certificates we just print their names in a calligraphy type font.  We use parchment specialty paper, about $10 for 100 sheets.   Any needed corrections to certificates can be done easily and fast.  For Reversed Polairity our November Doctor Who con, I have arranged for the art dept to print the con logo in colour on the top of the paper and we will add the certificate info after the masquerade.

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)