Hats too small!

  • JoAnn Abbott
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2013
      My husband just got a gift from a friend at church- 4 really nice men’s
      hats, well made (not oriental trading post quality). 3 felt, one straw. The
      only problem is…they are all about ¼ of an inch too tight. Does anyone have
      any suggestions on how to get them to stretch a bit so he doesn’t feel like
      his head is in a vice? We have a full head cast of him in plaster which was
      made to help make some facial sculpts for SFX, I have been considering
      wrapping that with a few layers of paper towel and then plastic, easing the
      hats over it and trying to steam them- I do not have a steamer though, I was
      going to use a spray bottle and a hairdryer. If you have any other
      suggestions/success stories/horror stories of trying to stretch hats please
      let me know.

      Shrinking his head is not an option, of course. Where am I supposed to find
      a witch doctor in suburban Virginia?

      Thanks!

      JoAnn in VA

    • costumeforce50
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2013
        Check for the headband inside first. Usually something like grosgrain ribbon. It will hamper the stretching so pop part of its stitches first. Also dampen the hat before putting it on the head. The felt hats are more likely to succeed.

        Sent from my iPad

        On Sep 2, 2013, at 7:54 AM, "JoAnn Abbott" <bubblemum@...> wrote:

        > My husband just got a gift from a friend at church- 4 really nice men’s
        > hats, well made (not oriental trading post quality). 3 felt, one straw. The
        > only problem is…they are all about ¼ of an inch too tight. Does anyone have
        > any suggestions on how to get them to stretch a bit so he doesn’t feel like
        > his head is in a vice? We have a full head cast of him in plaster which was
        > made to help make some facial sculpts for SFX, I have been considering
        > wrapping that with a few layers of paper towel and then plastic, easing the
        > hats over it and trying to steam them- I do not have a steamer though, I was
        > going to use a spray bottle and a hairdryer. If you have any other
        > suggestions/success stories/horror stories of trying to stretch hats please
        > let me know.
        >
        > Shrinking his head is not an option, of course. Where am I supposed to find
        > a witch doctor in suburban Virginia?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > JoAnn in VA

      • randallwhitlock
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2013
          Depends a lot on what the headbands are made of. Some of the common
          materials can be made to stretch, but will then slowly return to their original
          size.

          My favorite antique Stetson fedora was purchased at a second hand store
          when I was 20 and not yet fully grown. After several stretch attempts that
          did not take, I had to remove the original headband and sew in a new one that
          fit. The hat body is fine grained fur felt and stretched quite well. It's
          still my main Arizona winter hat thirty years later.

          All this is good if the hats are meant for wearing. Alterations, however,
          would affect their value to an antique collector/museum.

          Randall