On building a Tardis

  • Susan Toker
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29, 2013
      After the recent Tardis discussion:

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22936726

    • Patrick
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 30, 2013
        Hi Susan--

        My daughter, my wife and I built a Tardis to (David Tennant style) specifications in 2010. It has a lockable door and the electronics play the Dr. Who theme when the door is opened, flash the top light in time with the sound effects when the big, threatening button inside is pushed, and the telephone rings and says "Are you my Mommy?" when the telephone door is opened. (I designed and built the electronics for that.) Tardis Builders.Com was a great help and I recommend it to anyone with the inspiration to build a 1000 pound 10 foot tall Police Box (though the audience for that advice is limited by apartment size, I think!) You can see my daughter's version on:

        https://www.facebook.com/madgirlstardis

        Patrick J. O'Connor, CCG

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2 7:11 AM
          Hi Patrick

          I wanted to thank you for sharing your wonderful family Tardis project. It
          is brilliant!

          I love the fact that the whole family worked on it and that you took it
          beyond just the "wooden blue box" phase and added all those grand features.
          I also like the fact you planned in portability! Your daughter seems to
          have lots of fun with Dr. Who.

          The Tardis Builders site is a wonderful resource. It is a great example of
          how to build a site to help builders research costumes and props. It is
          really well organized and thorough.

          Prop building is such a great part of overall costume design and some of
          the research behind it is as intricate as historical clothing research, and
          as much fun!

          Thanks so much for sharing!

          (p.s. The Pups have a small, but fierce, Dr Who fandom, amongst all our
          omnivore costuming passions. Kathy Draves actually was in Chicago last
          year for your Dr. Who convention.)

          Take care

          Susan