Re: Marty

  • Susan Toker
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 19, 2013
      This news is so sad. Marty has been such a huge part of costuming and
      cosplay and especially East coast conventions.

      He was filled with energy and happiness. He seemed immortal.

      I was just looking at pictures from the Disc World Convention where Marty
      ran the masquerade (of course)

      A happy Marty!
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/vampiress144/9255012792/in/set-72157634575237789

      More pictures
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/vampiress144/sets/72157634575237789/page4/

      Susan

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 19, 2013
        Devastating.

        Marty was one of our closest friends in costuming. He epitomized
        everything a gentleman should be.

        We met him first in 1983 at the first Worldcon masquerade we entered.
        He was kind and helpful to two newbies wide-eyed about appearing
        among so many notables.

        Three years later at Confederation (the 1986 Worldcon) in Atlanta
        Marty not only remembered who we were (and we had not yet won any
        awards or otherwise done anything particularly noteworthy). We had
        entered the Costume-Con 4 Future Fashion Contest, but we could not
        attend the convention. (one of only 4 CCs we have not attended.) One
        of our designs was made by a lady named Beth Moberly. At the Friday
        night party at Confederation Marty asked us if we were pleased with
        her interpretation. To not only remember us, but to remember the
        design entry and that it had been made, truly impressed us.

        Over the years we were always delighted to see Marty and have the
        opportunity to spend time with him. He was always available to talk,
        consult and advise. And no one was higher on our list of people to
        call for advice.

        We will miss him terribly. He will be in our prayers.

        Goodbye, Marty.

        "Those Who Fail to Learn History
        Why They Are Simply Doomed."

        -- C. Y. 4971

        Andromeda
      • K. R. McClure
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 19, 2013
          I'm thinking that one of the upcoming Costume Cons would do well to honor him with a montage of his work. Just a thought.

          He was a grand gentleman.

          Kate McClure
          Whatever does not kill me had better run damn fast.

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 20, 2013
            The ICG Archives team has been doing just that at recent CCs.
            Already working on it.

            Nora

            I am devastated to hear of Marty's passing. Conventions, masquerades in particular, won't be the same without him. He will be missed.

            Toni

            News is up on the SMOFs list that Marty Gear died today. I have no more information.

            Sadly,

            Aurora

            -----
            No virus found in this message.

            -----
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 20, 2013
              Cool! I hope I can attend a CC again soon. I miss y'all!