Marty

  • Aurora Celeste
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 18, 2013
      News is up on the SMOFs list that Marty Gear died today. I have no more
      information.

      Sadly,

      Aurora

    • Richard Man
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 18, 2013
        Oh no :-(

        On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 3:58 PM, Aurora Celeste <auroraceleste@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > News is up on the SMOFs list that Marty Gear died today. I have no more
        > information.
        >
        > Sadly,
        >
        > Aurora

        // richard <http://www.imagecraft.com/>
        // richard's personal photo blog: <http://www.richardmanphoto.com>
        replies in your msgs. ]

      • crystaltiamat
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 18, 2013
          So sad! He will be deeply missed!

          ~Kate

          --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, Richard Man <richard@...> wrote:

          > Oh no :-(
          >

          > On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 3:58 PM, Aurora Celeste <auroraceleste@...>wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > News is up on the SMOFs list that Marty Gear died today. I have no more
          > > information.
          > >
          > > Sadly,
          > >
          > > Aurora

          > --
          > // richard <http://www.imagecraft.com/>
          > // icc blog: <http://imagecraft.com/blog/>
          > // richard's personal photo blog: <http://www.richardmanphoto.com>
          > [ For technical support on ImageCraft products, please include all previous
          > replies in your msgs. ]

        • Kaijugal .
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 18, 2013
            Terrible news. :(

            Dawn McKechnie - Costume-Con 32 Chair.
            Toronto, ON - April 25-28 2014
            www.costumecon32.com

            To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 19, 2013
              I am devastated to hear of Marty's passing. Conventions, masquerades in particular, won't be the same without him. He will be missed.

              Toni

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 19, 2013
                This news is so sad. Marty has been such a huge part of costuming and
                cosplay and especially East coast conventions.

                He was filled with energy and happiness. He seemed immortal.

                I was just looking at pictures from the Disc World Convention where Marty
                ran the masquerade (of course)

                A happy Marty!
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/vampiress144/9255012792/in/set-72157634575237789

                More pictures
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/vampiress144/sets/72157634575237789/page4/

                Susan

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 19, 2013
                  Devastating.

                  Marty was one of our closest friends in costuming. He epitomized
                  everything a gentleman should be.

                  We met him first in 1983 at the first Worldcon masquerade we entered.
                  He was kind and helpful to two newbies wide-eyed about appearing
                  among so many notables.

                  Three years later at Confederation (the 1986 Worldcon) in Atlanta
                  Marty not only remembered who we were (and we had not yet won any
                  awards or otherwise done anything particularly noteworthy). We had
                  entered the Costume-Con 4 Future Fashion Contest, but we could not
                  attend the convention. (one of only 4 CCs we have not attended.) One
                  of our designs was made by a lady named Beth Moberly. At the Friday
                  night party at Confederation Marty asked us if we were pleased with
                  her interpretation. To not only remember us, but to remember the
                  design entry and that it had been made, truly impressed us.

                  Over the years we were always delighted to see Marty and have the
                  opportunity to spend time with him. He was always available to talk,
                  consult and advise. And no one was higher on our list of people to
                  call for advice.

                  We will miss him terribly. He will be in our prayers.

                  Goodbye, Marty.

                  "Those Who Fail to Learn History
                  Why They Are Simply Doomed."

                  -- C. Y. 4971

                  Andromeda
                • K. R. McClure
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 19, 2013
                    I'm thinking that one of the upcoming Costume Cons would do well to honor him with a montage of his work. Just a thought.

                    He was a grand gentleman.

                    Kate McClure
                    Whatever does not kill me had better run damn fast.

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 20, 2013
                      The ICG Archives team has been doing just that at recent CCs.
                      Already working on it.

                      Nora

                      I am devastated to hear of Marty's passing. Conventions, masquerades in particular, won't be the same without him. He will be missed.

                      Toni

                      News is up on the SMOFs list that Marty Gear died today. I have no more information.

                      Sadly,

                      Aurora

                      -----
                      No virus found in this message.

                      -----
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 20, 2013
                        Cool! I hope I can attend a CC again soon. I miss y'all!