RE: [ICG-D] Furry convention draws a plethora of costumers

  • Kaijugal .
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 12, 2013
      Cool report. I <3 Anthocon. :) I've been in the parade before. I'm dissapointed one the years I have to miss it.
      At least I can look at all the cool pictures and blog posts! :)

      Dawn McKechnie - Costume-Con 32 Chair.
      Toronto, ON - April 25-28 2014
      www.costumecon32.com

      To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
      From: snapetiger@...
      Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 19:56:31 -0700
      Subject: [ICG-D] Furry convention draws a plethora of costumers

      Anthrocon, the largest 'furry' sci-fi convention in the world took place last weekend in Pittsburgh, PA.

      'Fursuit' parades are traditional at our conventions. This year, out of ~5,500 attendees, 1,162 participants were counted in the fursuit parade. 13 of those were ones I've made (go me).

      http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/wesa/files/201307/furry5.jpg

      In years past, costumers made up only 10-12% of furry convention attendees. This year's Anthrocon had 21% of attendees participate in the parade.

      Its just amazing how many people are out there making their own costumes from beginners to professionals.

      Just wanted to share a bit about the community I call home.

      -Snap

      ByCats4Cats.com

      YIM&Skype: snapEtiger

    • celefinniel
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 13, 2013
        Go you indeed! This looks like it was a great convention. Thanks for sharing with us. I'm hoping to go to our local con, Further Confusion next time to find out more about fursuiting.

        Kathe

        --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, "Snap E." <snapetiger@...> wrote:

        > Anthrocon, the largest 'furry' sci-fi convention in the world took place last weekend in Pittsburgh, PA.
        > 'Fursuit' parades are traditional at our conventions. This year, out of ~5,500 attendees, 1,162 participants were counted in the fursuit parade. 13 of those were ones I've made (go me).
        >
        > http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/wesa/files/201307/furry5.jpg
        >
        > In years past, costumers made up only 10-12% of furry convention attendees. This year's Anthrocon had 21% of attendees participate in the parade.
        > Its just amazing how many people are out there making their own costumes from beginners to professionals.
        >

        > Just wanted to share a bit about the community I call home.
        >
        > -Snap
        >
        > ByCats4Cats.com
        >
        > YIM&Skype: snapEtiger

      • Snap E.
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 13, 2013
          I need to make it out to Further Confusion as well.  Its been 11 years since I have gone.
          Being in Minnesota, its just a pain flying out in the middle of winter and up to ears in snow!

              -Snap

          ByCats4Cats.com
          YIM&AOL: snapEtiger

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 13, 2013
            Wow, that's impressive Snap. At SF&F conventions, the usual rule is that 1% of the attendees participate in the masquerade. So, your fursuit parade blew that out of the water! Also, congrats on having 13 of your fursuits worn in the parade. I know that if I had that many people wearing a costume I had made, I would be happy.

            I thought Further Confusion (San Jose in January) was the largest furry convention?