Furry convention draws a plethora of costumers

  • Snap E.
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 12, 2013
      Anthrocon, the largest 'furry' sci-fi convention in the world took place last weekend in Pittsburgh, PA.
      'Fursuit' parades are traditional at our conventions.   This year, out of ~5,500 attendees, 1,162 participants were counted in the fursuit parade.  13 of those were ones I've made (go me).

      http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/wesa/files/201307/furry5.jpg

      In years past, costumers made up only 10-12% of furry convention attendees.  This year's Anthrocon had 21% of attendees participate in the parade.
      Its just amazing how many people are out there making their own costumes from beginners to professionals.

      Just wanted to share a bit about the community I call home.

          -Snap

       ByCats4Cats.com

      YIM&Skype: snapEtiger

    • Kaijugal .
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 12, 2013
        Cool report. I <3 Anthocon. :) I've been in the parade before. I'm dissapointed one the years I have to miss it.
        At least I can look at all the cool pictures and blog posts! :)

        Dawn McKechnie - Costume-Con 32 Chair.
        Toronto, ON - April 25-28 2014
        www.costumecon32.com

        To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 13, 2013
          Go you indeed! This looks like it was a great convention. Thanks for sharing with us. I'm hoping to go to our local con, Further Confusion next time to find out more about fursuiting.

          Kathe

          --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, "Snap E." <snapetiger@...> wrote:

          > Anthrocon, the largest 'furry' sci-fi convention in the world took place last weekend in Pittsburgh, PA.
          > 'Fursuit' parades are traditional at our conventions. This year, out of ~5,500 attendees, 1,162 participants were counted in the fursuit parade. 13 of those were ones I've made (go me).
          >
          > http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/wesa/files/201307/furry5.jpg
          >
          > In years past, costumers made up only 10-12% of furry convention attendees. This year's Anthrocon had 21% of attendees participate in the parade.
          > Its just amazing how many people are out there making their own costumes from beginners to professionals.
          >

          > Just wanted to share a bit about the community I call home.
          >
          > -Snap
          >
          > ByCats4Cats.com
          >
          > YIM&Skype: snapEtiger

        • Snap E.
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 13, 2013
            I need to make it out to Further Confusion as well.  Its been 11 years since I have gone.
            Being in Minnesota, its just a pain flying out in the middle of winter and up to ears in snow!

                -Snap

            ByCats4Cats.com
            YIM&AOL: snapEtiger

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 13, 2013
              Wow, that's impressive Snap. At SF&F conventions, the usual rule is that 1% of the attendees participate in the masquerade. So, your fursuit parade blew that out of the water! Also, congrats on having 13 of your fursuits worn in the parade. I know that if I had that many people wearing a costume I had made, I would be happy.

              I thought Further Confusion (San Jose in January) was the largest furry convention?