Messing with the local county fair :)

  • JoAnn Abbott
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 10, 2013
      *grin*

      2 summers ago I entered a couple costumes- my 1776 dress and my 1880
      Steampunk Calliope gown- into the PWC country fair, under the adult clothing
      section. Last year I saw that they had added a new pair of categories- adult
      and children's costumes. So last year I entered a pair of costumes again,
      Grandma Gaga and my Nostradamus 1550 outfit. THIS year they have added yet
      another category- "Authentic Historical Costume, attach era-specific
      procedures & materials."

      So this year I am putting in the Gypsy costume and wooden booth...but
      they don't have a woodworking section to the crafts area. :D Wanna bet
      there is a new category next year?

      JoAnn

      Leaving my mark on Prince William County!

    • ma0902432
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 10, 2013
        I've been entering costumes and costume-related items in my County Fair
        in Montgomery County, MD for over 10 years and have done very, very well.
        The first year I entered--it was the "House Dress", and I was really
        worried that the judges wouldn't have a clue, but my entries have always
        been well-received. Some County and State Fairs have categories for
        "Adult Masquerade Costumes" and "Historical Re-enactor Clothing", and
        those are good categories, but I've rountinely entered costumes and
        accessories in the regular categories: "Better Dresses", "Lingerie"
        (corsets), "Ladies 3-piece Outfits", "Children's Clothing" etc. Of
        course, I also enter quilts and beadwork, scarves and pillows, in the
        past have even entered dried and preserved foods and jams, etc. My own
        County Fair does not allow any documentation to be attached, whether it's
        quilts of costumes, so I find that detail interesting, JoAnn.

        BTW, My Fair ladies int he Home Arts Bldg. (of which I am now an
        established part) LOVED the "Victorian Tiki" outfit. Not sure what I"ll
        enter thins year--maybe "Ursula" from our Disney group?

        Yours in costumign, Lisa A

        On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 08:30:51 -0400 "JoAnn Abbott" <bubblemum@...>
        writes:
        > *grin*
        >

        > 2 summers ago I entered a couple costumes- my 1776 dress and my
        > 1880
        > Steampunk Calliope gown- into the PWC country fair, under the adult
        > clothing
        > section. Last year I saw that they had added a new pair of
        > categories- adult
        > and children's costumes. So last year I entered a pair of costumes
        > again,
        > Grandma Gaga and my Nostradamus 1550 outfit. THIS year they have
        > added yet
        > another category- "Authentic Historical Costume, attach
        > era-specific
        > procedures & materials."
        >
        > So this year I am putting in the Gypsy costume and wooden
        > booth...but
        > they don't have a woodworking section to the crafts area. :D Wanna
        > bet
        > there is a new category next year?
        >

        > JoAnn
        >
        > Leaving my mark on Prince William County!

      • K. R. McClure
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 10, 2013
          That's so *snickersnort* evil....*giggle*

          Kate McClure
          Whatever does not kill me had better run damn fast.
          -------------------------------

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 11, 2013
            At 07:30 AM 7/10/2013, you wrote:

            This reminds me. Unfortunately the official photographer was unable
            to obtain a photo of JoAnn and Scott's Historical Costume with the
            booth. If anyone has such a photo to donate to the Archives we would
            appreciate it. You can contact me at the above address.

            Thanks

            Pierre

            >*grin*
            >
            >2 summers ago I entered a couple costumes- my 1776 dress and my 1880
            >Steampunk Calliope gown- into the PWC country fair, under the adult clothing
            >section. Last year I saw that they had added a new pair of categories- adult
            >and children's costumes. So last year I entered a pair of costumes again,
            >Grandma Gaga and my Nostradamus 1550 outfit. THIS year they have added yet
            >another category- "Authentic Historical Costume, attach era-specific
            >procedures
            >
            >So this year I am putting in the Gypsy costume and wooden booth...but
            >they don't have a woodworking section to the crafts area. :D Wanna bet
            >there is a new category next year?
            >
            >JoAnn
            >
            >Leaving my mark on Prince William County!

            "Those Who Fail to Learn History
            Why They Are Simply Doomed."

            -- C. Y. 4971

            Andromeda
          • JoAnn Abbott
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 11, 2013
              I'd live a copy too!

              JoAnn

              This reminds me. Unfortunately the official photographer was unable
              to obtain a photo of JoAnn and Scott's Historical Costume with the
              booth. If anyone has such a photo to donate to the Archives we would
              appreciate it. You can contact me at the above address.

              Thanks

              Pierre

              >*grin*
              >
              >2 summers ago I entered a couple costumes- my 1776 dress and my 1880
              >Steampunk Calliope gown- into the PWC country fair, under the adult
              clothing
              >section. Last year I saw that they had added a new pair of categories-
              adult
              >and children's costumes. So last year I entered a pair of costumes again,
              >Grandma Gaga and my Nostradamus 1550 outfit. THIS year they have added yet
              >another category- "Authentic Historical Costume, attach era-specific
              >procedures
              >
              >So this year I am putting in the Gypsy costume and wooden booth...but
              >they don't have a woodworking section to the crafts area. :D Wanna bet
              >there is a new category next year?
              >
              >JoAnn
              >
              >Leaving my mark on Prince William County!

              "Those Who Fail to Learn History
              Why They Are Simply Doomed."

              -- C. Y. 4971

            • crystaltiamat
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 12, 2013
                LOVE IT!!!

                ~Kate
                (Who will soon be moving to Loudoun County and may have to come help you :P)