Re: ICG convention list update - costuming

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 8, 2013
      Just shared to us by a friend on Facebook:

      http://figmentsandfilaments.com/

      A costuming convention to be held next year in Independence,
      MO. Unfortunately, it's the same weekend as Costume-Con 32 - April
      25-27, 2014. The organizer is aware of the conflict, and hopes there
      will be a second convention - he will endeavor not to be on the same
      weekend again. It looks like more of a cross between a regular con
      and a costume con, as there are guests and an art show. Still, it
      looks very interesting. REALLY wish it wasn't the same weekend, as
      it's only about 3 hrs from us.

      P & S

      At 02:37 PM 7/8/2013, you wrote:

      >The ICG's Mega Convention list has been updated for the month. This is a
      >resource for guilds to find out local events in their region as well as a
      >service to the rest of the Geek universe.
      ><http://www.costume.org/conventions.html>http://www.costume.org/conventions.html
      >
      >There are always new events popping up, like the one below and I will
      >forward a couple more that sound cool if they are in your region or you can
      >travel. This is for those near Chicago:
      >
      >MuseCon 3 - lots of crafty maker artist panels along with music
      >August 2-4, 2013
      ><http://www.musecon.org/>http://www.musecon.org/
      >
      >Note that conventions are more volatile then in the past and some are
      >cancelled at the last minute. Also this is a long list so errors can occur
      >and corrections or additions are welcome.
      >
      >The Webguys

      "Those Who Fail to Learn History
      Why They Are Simply Doomed."

      -- C. Y. 4971

    • Nora & Bruce Mai
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 9, 2013
        Well that's disappointing and slightly aggravating. We've heard nothing
        about this at all.
        You'd have thunk they might have contacted the ICG "local" chapters (us &
        KC) to sell memberships if nothing else.
        Would've been convenient.

        Nora

        At 02:37 PM 7/8/2013, you wrote:

        >The ICG's Mega Convention list has been updated for the month. This is
        >a resource for guilds to find out local events in their region as well
        >as a service to the rest of the Geek universe.
        ><http://www.costume.org/conventions.html>http://www.costume.org/convent
        >ions.html
        >
        >There are always new events popping up, like the one below and I will
        >forward a couple more that sound cool if they are in your region or you
        >can travel. This is for those near Chicago:
        >
        >MuseCon 3 - lots of crafty maker artist panels along with music August
        >2-4, 2013 <http://www.musecon.org/>http://www.musecon.org/
        >
        >Note that conventions are more volatile then in the past and some are
        >cancelled at the last minute. Also this is a long list so errors can
        >occur and corrections or additions are welcome.
        >
        >The Webguys

        "Those Who Fail to Learn History
        Are Doomed to Repeat It;
        Those Who Fail To Learn History Correctly - Why They Are Simply Doomed."

        -- C. Y. 4971

        -----
        No virus found in this message.

        -----
        No virus found in this message.
      • lichaiya
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 9, 2013
          Yeah - wonder how much connection they have with other cons - some of their rate structure is kind of like "gate show" wording. They do refer to rates as buying both "tickets" and "memberships" so not sure of their background.

          Sandy

          At 02:37 PM 7/8/2013, you wrote:

          >The ICG's Mega Convention list has been updated for the month. This is
          >a resource for guilds to find out local events in their region as well
          >as a service to the rest of the Geek universe.
          ><http://www.costume.org/conventions.html>http://www.costume.org/convent
          >ions.html
          >
          >There are always new events popping up, like the one below and I will
          >forward a couple more that sound cool if they are in your region or you
          >can travel. This is for those near Chicago:
          >MuseCon 3 - lots of crafty maker artist panels along with music August
          >2-4, 2013 <http://www.musecon.org/>http://www.musecon.org/
          >Note that conventions are more volatile then in the past and some are
          >cancelled at the last minute. Also this is a long list so errors can
          >occur and corrections or additions are welcome.
          >
          >The Webguys
          _
        • Kaijugal .
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 9, 2013
            Since it's the same weekend as CC32, I find it slightly less aggravating that nobody
            has heard about it. ^_^;

            Dawn McKechnie - Costume-Con 32 Chair.
            Toronto, ON - April 25-28 2014
            www.costumecon32.com

            At 02:37 PM 7/8/2013, you wrote:

            >The ICG's Mega Convention list has been updated for the month. This is

            >a resource for guilds to find out local events in their region as well

            >as a service to the rest of the Geek universe.

            ><http://www.costume.org/conventions.html>http://www.costume.org/convent

            >ions.html

            >There are always new events popping up, like the one below and I will

            >forward a couple more that sound cool if they are in your region or you

            >can travel. This is for those near Chicago:

            >MuseCon 3 - lots of crafty maker artist panels along with music August

            >2-4, 2013 <http://www.musecon.org/>http://www.musecon.org/

            >Note that conventions are more volatile then in the past and some are

            >cancelled at the last minute. Also this is a long list so errors can

            >occur and corrections or additions are welcome.

            >The Webguys

            "Those Who Fail to Learn History

            Are Doomed to Repeat It;

            Those Who Fail To Learn History Correctly - Why They Are Simply Doomed."

            -- C. Y. 4971

            -----

            No virus found in this message.

            -----

            No virus found in this message.

          • Susan Toker
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 10, 2013
              I added the Figment and Filaments convention to our list but I have to
              agree with others that, in addition to poor timing, the whole approach
              seems to be way off for a costumer convention.

              Who ever is running it is styling it after a celebrity/creation type
              convention and not the classes, workshops and costume event/contests that
              costumers/cosplayers/historical clothiers would want.

              Susan

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 10, 2013
                Do they know we exist?

                Byron

                On Jul 9, 2013, at 7:31 AM, Nora & Bruce Mai <casamai@...> wrote:

                > Well that's disappointing and slightly aggravating. We've heard nothing
                > about this at all.
                > You'd have thunk they might have contacted the ICG "local" chapters (us &
                > KC) to sell memberships if nothing else.
                > Would've been convenient.
                >
                > Nora

              • Aurora Celeste
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 10, 2013
                  Yes, they've been told numerous times (to the point where we start talking
                  about the conflict and they say "you too?").

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 10, 2013
                    I meant the ICG, not CC.

                    Byron

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 10, 2013
                      That too, they've talked to the KCCG about getting involved. Dunno if any
                      of them will, the most active will be in Toronto.