Re: [ICG-D] RE: CC 32 room block

  • Martin Gear
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 18, 2013
      I went to the website and had no problem making a reservation for a King
      club, but had there been more than two in my party and I saw the extra
      charge I probably would have been sufficiently bummed to cancel my plans
      to come. The fact that "most Toronto hotels do this so that it is
      understood" is BS. If it isn't spelled out in your contract then it is
      garbage, and if it was in your contract then you owed it to all of us to
      publicize this fact. I just got through facing down a very upscale
      Marriott (North American Discworld Convention) that tried to slip in
      restrictions and extra charges on the grounds that "it is our hotel
      policy." I informed them of a basic tenant of contract law (at least in
      the US) that if it isn't spelled out completely, expressly forbidden, or
      a listed requirement, then it is not part of the contract and can't be
      enforced by one party against the other.

      I think that we are owed an explanation, and if the extra charge is not
      spelled out in the contract, someone needs to inform them that the rate
      is the same single, double, triple, quad and anything extra is a
      contract violation.

      FWIIW, the Mariott is charging NADWCon an extra $20 per person for more
      than one in the room. I didn't negotiate the contract (that would have
      been a deal breaker for me) but that was spelled out and has been shown
      on our website from the very beginning. I inherited the contract, but
      Marriott's attempt to slip in extra charges for using our own equipment
      (a facilities fee) and quoting two different rates for the same
      reception food two months apart ($9 upped to $20) are indicative that
      hotels are all attempting to maximize revenue and will pull anything
      they can until someone stops them.

      Marty
    • Lay, Toni (DDC)
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 19, 2013
        I went back to their website and had no problem reserving a double room at the hotel at the convention rate. Thanks.

        From: layt@...
        Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 17:13:02 -0400
        Subject: RE: [ICG-D] Costume-Con 32 room block is now open!

        I went to the website to reserve a room, but there doesn't seem to be rooms with two double beds, only kings. What's the deal with this?

        Toni

        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 19, 2013
          Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel & Conference Centre
          801 Dixon Road
          Toronto, ON, M9W 1J5
          Canada

          I am writing all information here in long form for clarity. If I have still missed something please feel free to write me and let me know. I have never done the publications or hotel job before so apparently I could use a little work in the communication department. I thank you all for bearing with me.

          I have compiled all information here in one post.

          ***Please read all the information***, including on the booking page as there has been some problems with booking. Some of those notes I will repeat here because people are still not seeing them on the hotel booking site.

          HOTEL BOOKING FAQ:

          1) No it's not a mistake that you cannot book a smoking room. The hotel is a smoke free facility.

          2) When using the online booking system at: https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/Book/CCD24A please book one room at a time as the system will not allow you to book multiple rooms at once.

          3) If you wish to call the hotel to book directly, please first call 1-866-932-7058 first before calling the hotel directly.

          4) Are there pull out couches in the King Clubs. No there are not, but you can get rollaway beds.

          -----
          Expanded price list. Let me know if I'm missing anything. I want to put it on the website.

          Hotel Prices | Prix des chambres

          ------
          ***Club Level King***
          (To book this type of room your arrival date must be on or before Thrus, April 24, and departure date must be on or after Tues, April 29)

          Base/Single/Simple (1 adult/person) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
          Double (2 adults/personnes) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
          Triple (3 adults/personnes) - $155.00 per night/par nuit
          Quadruple (4 adults/personnes) - $175.00 per night/par nuit

          ------
          Club Level Queen/Queen
          (To book this type of room your arrival date must be on or before Thrus, April 24, and departure date must be on or after Tues, April 29)

          Base/Single/Simple (1 adult/person) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
          Double (2 adults/personnes) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
          Triple (3 adults/personnes) - $155.00 per night/par nuit
          Quadruple (4 adults/personnes) - $175.00 per night/par nuit

          ------
          Traditional King

          Base/Single/Simple (1 adult/person) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
          Double (2 adults/personnes) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
          Triple (3 adults/personnes) - $155.00 per night/par nuit
          Quadruple (4 adults/personnes) - $175.00 per night/par nuit

          ------
          Traditional Queen
          Base/Single/Simple (1 adult/person) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
          Double (2 adults/personnes) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
          Triple (3 adults/personnes) - $155.00 per night/par nuit
          Quadruple (4 adults/personnes) - $175.00 per night/par nuit

          Below are other FAQ that have I have been asked about by members of this list. Most is on the website
          but I think there are other people who might benefit from it being posted here.

          Q: Is there a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel?
          A: Yes, that was one of the many reasons we picked this hotel.

          Q: Does the Hotel have a Pool?
          A: Yes a very nice one. It also has a fitness centre that is open 24h.

          Q: Are you sure the hotel doesn't allow smoking?
          A: Yes, really, I'm sure.

          Q: Is there food nearby?
          A: Yes there are dozens of restaurants within a five to ten minute walk, even a couple of 24 hour ones. There is also a Starbucks Coffee bar in the Olio Lounge at the hotel.

          Q: Is there a car rental company nearby?
          A: You can rent a car onsite via Transcanada Car Rental. There is also an Avis Car rental at the Airport.

          If you have any other questions not covered, please feel free to contact me. :)

          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 19, 2013
            Awesome. Great news. Thanks for your patience Toni. :)

            To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
            From: layt@...
            Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 16:15:21 -0400
            Subject: RE: [ICG-D] RE: CC 32 room block (Tony & more information)

            From: layt@...

            Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 17:13:02 -0400

            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 19, 2013
              I put my foot in it at least past the knees and I owe Dawn a big time
              apology. She reminded me that I looked over the first draft of the
              contract, and the up charge was spelled out and I either missed it or
              forgot it. I'm sorry. That comment was uncalled for. Since the "norm"
              in most U.S. convention hotels is a single rate
              single-double-triple-quad (a notable exception being the Discworld
              convention that I am involved with) I think that most of us Yanks just
              expected that to be the case. Dawn did what she was used to doing with
              local conventions orders of magnitude larger than any Costume Con.
              Again, I apologize.

              Marty
            • Gravely MacCabre
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 20, 2013
                Cause you are a gentleman and a good friend

                Gravely MacCabre
                http://www.castleblood.com
                http://facebook.com/gravelymaccabre
                http://etsy.com/shops/gravelymaccabre

                tv show clip samples at
                http://www.veoh.com/channels/castleblood

                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 20, 2013
                  I had to phone to book my room. But only because I could not remember which
                  e-mail address I use for the Starwood group of hotels. I was sad that the
                  club floor rooms were gone. Is there anyway on getting notified if one opens
                  up?

                  Henry W. Osier
                  Chicago TARDIS Masquerade Director