RE: [ICG-D] Costume-Con 32 room block is now open!

  • Lay, Toni (DDC)
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 18, 2013
      I went to the website to reserve a room, but there doesn't seem to be rooms with two double beds, only kings. What's the deal with this?

      Toni

      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 18, 2013
        Hi Tony,

        There are still some double bed rooms available, just no more on the Club/Executive level floors.
        If you try again tomorrow and still have trouble , please let me know and I'll do my darnedest to get things sorted for you.

        For anyone else reading : There are still nice Club Level King rooms available for those people who are **booking arriving on or before Thurs April 24 and checking out on or after Tues April 29.**

        You can only book one room at a time thru the system. (I know some
        people had trouble because they were trying to book more than one room
        at once.

        If anyone has questions, or is having trouble booking rooms I urge you to contact me immediately. The hotel chain offsite booking system seems to be having difficulties so our onsite group booking agent is helping manually book rooms where there are problems.

        Thanks all for your patience and understanding.
        Cheers!

        To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
        From: layt@...
        Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 17:13:02 -0400
        Subject: RE: [ICG-D] Costume-Con 32 room block is now open!

        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 18, 2013
          I went to the website and had no problem making a reservation for a King
          club, but had there been more than two in my party and I saw the extra
          charge I probably would have been sufficiently bummed to cancel my plans
          to come. The fact that "most Toronto hotels do this so that it is
          understood" is BS. If it isn't spelled out in your contract then it is
          garbage, and if it was in your contract then you owed it to all of us to
          publicize this fact. I just got through facing down a very upscale
          Marriott (North American Discworld Convention) that tried to slip in
          restrictions and extra charges on the grounds that "it is our hotel
          policy." I informed them of a basic tenant of contract law (at least in
          the US) that if it isn't spelled out completely, expressly forbidden, or
          a listed requirement, then it is not part of the contract and can't be
          enforced by one party against the other.

          I think that we are owed an explanation, and if the extra charge is not
          spelled out in the contract, someone needs to inform them that the rate
          is the same single, double, triple, quad and anything extra is a
          contract violation.

          FWIIW, the Mariott is charging NADWCon an extra $20 per person for more
          than one in the room. I didn't negotiate the contract (that would have
          been a deal breaker for me) but that was spelled out and has been shown
          on our website from the very beginning. I inherited the contract, but
          Marriott's attempt to slip in extra charges for using our own equipment
          (a facilities fee) and quoting two different rates for the same
          reception food two months apart ($9 upped to $20) are indicative that
          hotels are all attempting to maximize revenue and will pull anything
          they can until someone stops them.

          Marty
        • Lay, Toni (DDC)
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 19, 2013
            I went back to their website and had no problem reserving a double room at the hotel at the convention rate. Thanks.

            From: layt@...
            Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 17:13:02 -0400

            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 19, 2013
              Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel & Conference Centre
              801 Dixon Road
              Toronto, ON, M9W 1J5
              Canada

              I am writing all information here in long form for clarity. If I have still missed something please feel free to write me and let me know. I have never done the publications or hotel job before so apparently I could use a little work in the communication department. I thank you all for bearing with me.

              I have compiled all information here in one post.

              ***Please read all the information***, including on the booking page as there has been some problems with booking. Some of those notes I will repeat here because people are still not seeing them on the hotel booking site.

              HOTEL BOOKING FAQ:

              1) No it's not a mistake that you cannot book a smoking room. The hotel is a smoke free facility.

              2) When using the online booking system at: https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/Book/CCD24A please book one room at a time as the system will not allow you to book multiple rooms at once.

              3) If you wish to call the hotel to book directly, please first call 1-866-932-7058 first before calling the hotel directly.

              4) Are there pull out couches in the King Clubs. No there are not, but you can get rollaway beds.

              -----
              Expanded price list. Let me know if I'm missing anything. I want to put it on the website.

              Hotel Prices | Prix des chambres

              ------
              ***Club Level King***
              (To book this type of room your arrival date must be on or before Thrus, April 24, and departure date must be on or after Tues, April 29)

              Base/Single/Simple (1 adult/person) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
              Double (2 adults/personnes) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
              Triple (3 adults/personnes) - $155.00 per night/par nuit
              Quadruple (4 adults/personnes) - $175.00 per night/par nuit

              ------
              Club Level Queen/Queen
              (To book this type of room your arrival date must be on or before Thrus, April 24, and departure date must be on or after Tues, April 29)

              Base/Single/Simple (1 adult/person) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
              Double (2 adults/personnes) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
              Triple (3 adults/personnes) - $155.00 per night/par nuit
              Quadruple (4 adults/personnes) - $175.00 per night/par nuit

              ------
              Traditional King

              Base/Single/Simple (1 adult/person) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
              Double (2 adults/personnes) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
              Triple (3 adults/personnes) - $155.00 per night/par nuit
              Quadruple (4 adults/personnes) - $175.00 per night/par nuit

              ------
              Traditional Queen
              Base/Single/Simple (1 adult/person) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
              Double (2 adults/personnes) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
              Triple (3 adults/personnes) - $155.00 per night/par nuit
              Quadruple (4 adults/personnes) - $175.00 per night/par nuit

              Below are other FAQ that have I have been asked about by members of this list. Most is on the website
              but I think there are other people who might benefit from it being posted here.

              Q: Is there a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel?
              A: Yes, that was one of the many reasons we picked this hotel.

              Q: Does the Hotel have a Pool?
              A: Yes a very nice one. It also has a fitness centre that is open 24h.

              Q: Are you sure the hotel doesn't allow smoking?
              A: Yes, really, I'm sure.

              Q: Is there food nearby?
              A: Yes there are dozens of restaurants within a five to ten minute walk, even a couple of 24 hour ones. There is also a Starbucks Coffee bar in the Olio Lounge at the hotel.

              Q: Is there a car rental company nearby?
              A: You can rent a car onsite via Transcanada Car Rental. There is also an Avis Car rental at the Airport.

              If you have any other questions not covered, please feel free to contact me. :)

              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 19, 2013
                Awesome. Great news. Thanks for your patience Toni. :)

                To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
                From: layt@...
                Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 16:15:21 -0400
                Subject: RE: [ICG-D] RE: CC 32 room block (Tony & more information)

                From: layt@...

                Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 17:13:02 -0400

                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 19, 2013
                  I put my foot in it at least past the knees and I owe Dawn a big time
                  apology. She reminded me that I looked over the first draft of the
                  contract, and the up charge was spelled out and I either missed it or
                  forgot it. I'm sorry. That comment was uncalled for. Since the "norm"
                  in most U.S. convention hotels is a single rate
                  single-double-triple-quad (a notable exception being the Discworld
                  convention that I am involved with) I think that most of us Yanks just
                  expected that to be the case. Dawn did what she was used to doing with
                  local conventions orders of magnitude larger than any Costume Con.
                  Again, I apologize.

                  Marty
                • Gravely MacCabre
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 20, 2013
                    Cause you are a gentleman and a good friend

                    Gravely MacCabre
                    http://www.castleblood.com
                    http://facebook.com/gravelymaccabre
                    http://etsy.com/shops/gravelymaccabre

                    tv show clip samples at
                    http://www.veoh.com/channels/castleblood

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 20, 2013
                      I had to phone to book my room. But only because I could not remember which
                      e-mail address I use for the Starwood group of hotels. I was sad that the
                      club floor rooms were gone. Is there anyway on getting notified if one opens
                      up?

                      Henry W. Osier
                      Chicago TARDIS Masquerade Director