RE: [ICG-D] Costume-Con 32 room block is now open! (REVISED)

  • Kaijugal .
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 17, 2013
      Purportedly all the queens on the club floor are booked. Although there may be some marked as reserved. Unfortunately the
      manager interface on the site does not list the codes of which rooms are club level and which are not. Admittedly most of the club level rooms are King.

      Dawn McKechnie - Costume-Con 32 Chair.
      Toronto, ON - April 25-28 2014
      www.costumecon32.com

      To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
      From: casamai@...
      Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 18:23:52 -0500
      Subject: RE: [ICG-D] Costume-Con 32 room block is now open! (REVISED)

      So there's no double-queen on the club floor?

      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 17, 2013
        Sorry , I posted the base rate is $135/night. Hotels in Toronto usually charge $20 extra per person occupancy over 2. I didn't realize that this doesn't happen everywhere. My mistake. I will post these clarifications everywhere so people are not confused.
        Sorry.

        (really wishing she had a hotel co-ordinator on staff),

        To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
        From: costumrs@...
        Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 22:33:46 -0500
        Subject: [ICG-D] RE: Costume-Con 32 room block is now open! (REVISED)

        Just tried it - not only did I not get the club floor option, it says

        that the room rate is $175, not $135. So, I didn't make the

        reservation yet. And we need the 2 queen bed option also.

        ???

        Sandy

        At 06:36 PM 6/17/2013, you wrote:

        >I think the system is overwhelmed at the moment. It been pointed out

        >to me, (and rightly so), that here in Toronto we're so accustomed to

        >hotels filling the day the room block is announced that everyone is

        >scrambling to book. There are 7 queen double on the club level and

        >23 ultra kings. I will log in and see what the situation is and

        >report back. ^_^

        >Dawn McKechnie - Costume-Con 32 Chair.

        >Toronto, ON - April 25-28 2014

        >www.costumecon32.com

        >To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com

        >From: casamai@...

        >Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 18:23:52 -0500

        >Subject: RE: [ICG-D] Costume-Con 32 room block is now open! (REVISED)

        > So there's no double-queen on the club floor?

        "Those Who Fail to Learn History

        Why They Are Simply Doomed."

        -- C. Y. 4971

      • Lay, Toni (DDC)
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 18, 2013
          I went to the website to reserve a room, but there doesn't seem to be rooms with two double beds, only kings. What's the deal with this?

          Toni

          *** The room block for Costume-Con 32 is now open! ***

          *Note* If you are arriving Thursday 2014-04-24 (or before) and saying over Monday 2014-04-28 (or later) select "CLUB FLOOR".
          As per our contract there is no additional charge for the club floors! :)

          --- If you have already booked your room please move it to our room block CCD24A. The room block supports the conference, and and also confers advantages to you such as reduced rates.

          Please copy and paste this link to book --- https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/Book/CCD24A

          Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel & Conference Centre
          801 Dixon Road
          Toronto, ON, M9W 1J5
          Canada
          Phone: (416) 675-6100
          Fax: (416) 675-4022

          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 18, 2013
            Hi Tony,

            There are still some double bed rooms available, just no more on the Club/Executive level floors.
            If you try again tomorrow and still have trouble , please let me know and I'll do my darnedest to get things sorted for you.

            For anyone else reading : There are still nice Club Level King rooms available for those people who are **booking arriving on or before Thurs April 24 and checking out on or after Tues April 29.**

            You can only book one room at a time thru the system. (I know some
            people had trouble because they were trying to book more than one room
            at once.

            If anyone has questions, or is having trouble booking rooms I urge you to contact me immediately. The hotel chain offsite booking system seems to be having difficulties so our onsite group booking agent is helping manually book rooms where there are problems.

            Thanks all for your patience and understanding.
            Cheers!

            To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
            From: layt@...
            Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 17:13:02 -0400
            Subject: RE: [ICG-D] Costume-Con 32 room block is now open!

            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 18, 2013
              I went to the website and had no problem making a reservation for a King
              club, but had there been more than two in my party and I saw the extra
              charge I probably would have been sufficiently bummed to cancel my plans
              to come. The fact that "most Toronto hotels do this so that it is
              understood" is BS. If it isn't spelled out in your contract then it is
              garbage, and if it was in your contract then you owed it to all of us to
              publicize this fact. I just got through facing down a very upscale
              Marriott (North American Discworld Convention) that tried to slip in
              restrictions and extra charges on the grounds that "it is our hotel
              policy." I informed them of a basic tenant of contract law (at least in
              the US) that if it isn't spelled out completely, expressly forbidden, or
              a listed requirement, then it is not part of the contract and can't be
              enforced by one party against the other.

              I think that we are owed an explanation, and if the extra charge is not
              spelled out in the contract, someone needs to inform them that the rate
              is the same single, double, triple, quad and anything extra is a
              contract violation.

              FWIIW, the Mariott is charging NADWCon an extra $20 per person for more
              than one in the room. I didn't negotiate the contract (that would have
              been a deal breaker for me) but that was spelled out and has been shown
              on our website from the very beginning. I inherited the contract, but
              Marriott's attempt to slip in extra charges for using our own equipment
              (a facilities fee) and quoting two different rates for the same
              reception food two months apart ($9 upped to $20) are indicative that
              hotels are all attempting to maximize revenue and will pull anything
              they can until someone stops them.

              Marty
            • Lay, Toni (DDC)
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 19, 2013
                I went back to their website and had no problem reserving a double room at the hotel at the convention rate. Thanks.

                From: layt@...
                Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 17:13:02 -0400

                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 19, 2013
                  Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel & Conference Centre
                  801 Dixon Road
                  Toronto, ON, M9W 1J5
                  Canada

                  I am writing all information here in long form for clarity. If I have still missed something please feel free to write me and let me know. I have never done the publications or hotel job before so apparently I could use a little work in the communication department. I thank you all for bearing with me.

                  I have compiled all information here in one post.

                  ***Please read all the information***, including on the booking page as there has been some problems with booking. Some of those notes I will repeat here because people are still not seeing them on the hotel booking site.

                  HOTEL BOOKING FAQ:

                  1) No it's not a mistake that you cannot book a smoking room. The hotel is a smoke free facility.

                  2) When using the online booking system at: https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/Book/CCD24A please book one room at a time as the system will not allow you to book multiple rooms at once.

                  3) If you wish to call the hotel to book directly, please first call 1-866-932-7058 first before calling the hotel directly.

                  4) Are there pull out couches in the King Clubs. No there are not, but you can get rollaway beds.

                  -----
                  Expanded price list. Let me know if I'm missing anything. I want to put it on the website.

                  Hotel Prices | Prix des chambres

                  ------
                  ***Club Level King***
                  (To book this type of room your arrival date must be on or before Thrus, April 24, and departure date must be on or after Tues, April 29)

                  Base/Single/Simple (1 adult/person) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
                  Double (2 adults/personnes) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
                  Triple (3 adults/personnes) - $155.00 per night/par nuit
                  Quadruple (4 adults/personnes) - $175.00 per night/par nuit

                  ------
                  Club Level Queen/Queen
                  (To book this type of room your arrival date must be on or before Thrus, April 24, and departure date must be on or after Tues, April 29)

                  Base/Single/Simple (1 adult/person) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
                  Double (2 adults/personnes) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
                  Triple (3 adults/personnes) - $155.00 per night/par nuit
                  Quadruple (4 adults/personnes) - $175.00 per night/par nuit

                  ------
                  Traditional King

                  Base/Single/Simple (1 adult/person) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
                  Double (2 adults/personnes) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
                  Triple (3 adults/personnes) - $155.00 per night/par nuit
                  Quadruple (4 adults/personnes) - $175.00 per night/par nuit

                  ------
                  Traditional Queen
                  Base/Single/Simple (1 adult/person) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
                  Double (2 adults/personnes) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
                  Triple (3 adults/personnes) - $155.00 per night/par nuit
                  Quadruple (4 adults/personnes) - $175.00 per night/par nuit

                  Below are other FAQ that have I have been asked about by members of this list. Most is on the website
                  but I think there are other people who might benefit from it being posted here.

                  Q: Is there a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel?
                  A: Yes, that was one of the many reasons we picked this hotel.

                  Q: Does the Hotel have a Pool?
                  A: Yes a very nice one. It also has a fitness centre that is open 24h.

                  Q: Are you sure the hotel doesn't allow smoking?
                  A: Yes, really, I'm sure.

                  Q: Is there food nearby?
                  A: Yes there are dozens of restaurants within a five to ten minute walk, even a couple of 24 hour ones. There is also a Starbucks Coffee bar in the Olio Lounge at the hotel.

                  Q: Is there a car rental company nearby?
                  A: You can rent a car onsite via Transcanada Car Rental. There is also an Avis Car rental at the Airport.

                  If you have any other questions not covered, please feel free to contact me. :)

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 19, 2013
                    Awesome. Great news. Thanks for your patience Toni. :)

                    To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
                    From: layt@...
                    Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 16:15:21 -0400
                    Subject: RE: [ICG-D] RE: CC 32 room block (Tony & more information)

                    From: layt@...

                    Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 17:13:02 -0400

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 19, 2013
                      I put my foot in it at least past the knees and I owe Dawn a big time
                      apology. She reminded me that I looked over the first draft of the
                      contract, and the up charge was spelled out and I either missed it or
                      forgot it. I'm sorry. That comment was uncalled for. Since the "norm"
                      in most U.S. convention hotels is a single rate
                      single-double-triple-quad (a notable exception being the Discworld
                      convention that I am involved with) I think that most of us Yanks just
                      expected that to be the case. Dawn did what she was used to doing with
                      local conventions orders of magnitude larger than any Costume Con.
                      Again, I apologize.

                      Marty
                    • Gravely MacCabre
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 20, 2013
                        Cause you are a gentleman and a good friend

                        Gravely MacCabre
                        http://www.castleblood.com
                        http://facebook.com/gravelymaccabre
                        http://etsy.com/shops/gravelymaccabre

                        tv show clip samples at
                        http://www.veoh.com/channels/castleblood

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 20, 2013
                          I had to phone to book my room. But only because I could not remember which
                          e-mail address I use for the Starwood group of hotels. I was sad that the
                          club floor rooms were gone. Is there anyway on getting notified if one opens
                          up?

                          Henry W. Osier
                          Chicago TARDIS Masquerade Director