RE: [ICG-D] Costume-Con 32 room block is now open! (REVISED)

  • Nora & Bruce Mai
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 17, 2013
      So there's no double-queen on the club floor?

      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 17, 2013
        I think the system is overwhelmed at the moment. It been pointed out to me, (and rightly so), that here in Toronto we're so accustomed to hotels filling the day the room block is announced that everyone is scrambling to book. There are 7 queen double on the club level and 23 ultra kings. I will log in and see what the situation is and report back. ^_^

        To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
        From: casamai@...
        Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 18:23:52 -0500

        So there's no double-queen on the club floor?

        *** The room block for Costume-Con 32 is now open! *** (revised with a

        direct to booking phone number for any changes, also more clarity on dates,

        please feel free to email me with any questions. :)

        *Note* If you are arriving Thursday 2014-04-24 (or before) and saying until

        Tuesday 2014-04-29 (or later) select "CLUB FLOOR".

        As per our contract there is no additional charge for the club floors! :)

        --- If you have already booked your room please move it to our room block

        CCD24A

        Please copy and paste this link to book ---

        https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/Book/CCD24A

        Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel & Conference Centre

        801 Dixon Road

        Toronto, ON, M9W 1J5

        Canada

        Phone: 1-866-932-7058

        Dawn McKechnie - Costume-Con 32 Chair.

        Toronto, ON - April 25-28 2014

        www.costumecon32.com

        > What is the room rate expected to be? And do they have a specific spot

        > for

        > requesting the Club Floor or do you just put it in the comments/notes?

        When I specified Apr 24-28, it showed three options:

        2 Queen Beds: $135/night TRADITIONAL NON-SMOKING, SWEET SLEEPER BED, FLOOR

        TO CEILING WINDOWS, WI-FI INTERNET FOR A FEE, 37 INCH FLAT SCREEN LCD TV

        1 King Bed: $135/night TRADITIONAL NON-SMOKING, SWEET SLEEPER BED, FLOOR TO

        CEILING WINDOWS, WI-FI INTERNET FOR A FEE, 37 INCH FLAT SCREEN LCD TV

        1 King Bed: $135/night CLUB FLOOR NON-SMOKING, SWEET SLEEPER BED,

        CONTINENTAL BRKFST IN CLUB LNG, WI-FI INTERNET FOR A FEE, EVENING SNACKS IN

        CLUB LOUNGE

        The last option (as seen in the feature list) will get you on the Club

        Floor.

        - Eric

        -----

        No virus found in this message.

      • Kaijugal .
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 17, 2013
          Purportedly all the queens on the club floor are booked. Although there may be some marked as reserved. Unfortunately the
          manager interface on the site does not list the codes of which rooms are club level and which are not. Admittedly most of the club level rooms are King.

          To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
          From: casamai@...
          Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 18:23:52 -0500

          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 17, 2013
            Just tried it - not only did I not get the club floor option, it says
            that the room rate is $175, not $135. So, I didn't make the
            reservation yet. And we need the 2 queen bed option also.
            ???

            Sandy

            At 06:36 PM 6/17/2013, you wrote:
            >I think the system is overwhelmed at the moment. It been pointed out
            >to me, (and rightly so), that here in Toronto we're so accustomed to
            >hotels filling the day the room block is announced that everyone is
            >scrambling to book. There are 7 queen double on the club level and
            >23 ultra kings. I will log in and see what the situation is and
            >report back. ^_^
            >
            >Dawn McKechnie - Costume-Con 32 Chair.
            >Toronto, ON - April 25-28 2014
            >www.costumecon32.com
            >
            >To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
            >From: casamai@...
            >Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 18:23:52 -0500
            >Subject: RE: [ICG-D] Costume-Con 32 room block is now open! (REVISED)
            >
            > So there's no double-queen on the club floor?

            "Those Who Fail to Learn History
            Why They Are Simply Doomed."

            -- C. Y. 4971

            Andromeda
          • Kaijugal .
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 17, 2013
              Sorry , I posted the base rate is $135/night. Hotels in Toronto usually charge $20 extra per person occupancy over 2. I didn't realize that this doesn't happen everywhere. My mistake. I will post these clarifications everywhere so people are not confused.
              Sorry.

              (really wishing she had a hotel co-ordinator on staff),

              To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
              From: costumrs@...
              Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 22:33:46 -0500
              Subject: [ICG-D] RE: Costume-Con 32 room block is now open! (REVISED)

              At 06:36 PM 6/17/2013, you wrote:

              >I think the system is overwhelmed at the moment. It been pointed out

              >to me, (and rightly so), that here in Toronto we're so accustomed to

              >hotels filling the day the room block is announced that everyone is

              >scrambling to book. There are 7 queen double on the club level and

              >23 ultra kings. I will log in and see what the situation is and

              >report back. ^_^

              >Dawn McKechnie - Costume-Con 32 Chair.

              >Toronto, ON - April 25-28 2014

              >www.costumecon32.com

              >To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com

              >From: casamai@...

              >Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 18:23:52 -0500

              >Subject: RE: [ICG-D] Costume-Con 32 room block is now open! (REVISED)

              > So there's no double-queen on the club floor?

            • Lay, Toni (DDC)
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 18, 2013
                I went to the website to reserve a room, but there doesn't seem to be rooms with two double beds, only kings. What's the deal with this?

                Toni

                *** The room block for Costume-Con 32 is now open! ***

                *Note* If you are arriving Thursday 2014-04-24 (or before) and saying over Monday 2014-04-28 (or later) select "CLUB FLOOR".
                As per our contract there is no additional charge for the club floors! :)

                --- If you have already booked your room please move it to our room block CCD24A. The room block supports the conference, and and also confers advantages to you such as reduced rates.

                Please copy and paste this link to book --- https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/Book/CCD24A

                Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel & Conference Centre
                801 Dixon Road
                Toronto, ON, M9W 1J5
                Canada
                Phone: (416) 675-6100
                Fax: (416) 675-4022

                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 18, 2013
                  Hi Tony,

                  There are still some double bed rooms available, just no more on the Club/Executive level floors.
                  If you try again tomorrow and still have trouble , please let me know and I'll do my darnedest to get things sorted for you.

                  For anyone else reading : There are still nice Club Level King rooms available for those people who are **booking arriving on or before Thurs April 24 and checking out on or after Tues April 29.**

                  You can only book one room at a time thru the system. (I know some
                  people had trouble because they were trying to book more than one room
                  at once.

                  If anyone has questions, or is having trouble booking rooms I urge you to contact me immediately. The hotel chain offsite booking system seems to be having difficulties so our onsite group booking agent is helping manually book rooms where there are problems.

                  Thanks all for your patience and understanding.
                  Cheers!

                  To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
                  From: layt@...
                  Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 17:13:02 -0400
                  Subject: RE: [ICG-D] Costume-Con 32 room block is now open!

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 18, 2013
                    I went to the website and had no problem making a reservation for a King
                    club, but had there been more than two in my party and I saw the extra
                    charge I probably would have been sufficiently bummed to cancel my plans
                    to come. The fact that "most Toronto hotels do this so that it is
                    understood" is BS. If it isn't spelled out in your contract then it is
                    garbage, and if it was in your contract then you owed it to all of us to
                    publicize this fact. I just got through facing down a very upscale
                    Marriott (North American Discworld Convention) that tried to slip in
                    restrictions and extra charges on the grounds that "it is our hotel
                    policy." I informed them of a basic tenant of contract law (at least in
                    the US) that if it isn't spelled out completely, expressly forbidden, or
                    a listed requirement, then it is not part of the contract and can't be
                    enforced by one party against the other.

                    I think that we are owed an explanation, and if the extra charge is not
                    spelled out in the contract, someone needs to inform them that the rate
                    is the same single, double, triple, quad and anything extra is a
                    contract violation.

                    FWIIW, the Mariott is charging NADWCon an extra $20 per person for more
                    than one in the room. I didn't negotiate the contract (that would have
                    been a deal breaker for me) but that was spelled out and has been shown
                    on our website from the very beginning. I inherited the contract, but
                    Marriott's attempt to slip in extra charges for using our own equipment
                    (a facilities fee) and quoting two different rates for the same
                    reception food two months apart ($9 upped to $20) are indicative that
                    hotels are all attempting to maximize revenue and will pull anything
                    they can until someone stops them.

                    Marty
                  • Lay, Toni (DDC)
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 19, 2013
                      I went back to their website and had no problem reserving a double room at the hotel at the convention rate. Thanks.

                      From: layt@...
                      Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 17:13:02 -0400

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 19, 2013
                        Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel & Conference Centre
                        801 Dixon Road
                        Toronto, ON, M9W 1J5
                        Canada

                        I am writing all information here in long form for clarity. If I have still missed something please feel free to write me and let me know. I have never done the publications or hotel job before so apparently I could use a little work in the communication department. I thank you all for bearing with me.

                        I have compiled all information here in one post.

                        ***Please read all the information***, including on the booking page as there has been some problems with booking. Some of those notes I will repeat here because people are still not seeing them on the hotel booking site.

                        HOTEL BOOKING FAQ:

                        1) No it's not a mistake that you cannot book a smoking room. The hotel is a smoke free facility.

                        2) When using the online booking system at: https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/Book/CCD24A please book one room at a time as the system will not allow you to book multiple rooms at once.

                        3) If you wish to call the hotel to book directly, please first call 1-866-932-7058 first before calling the hotel directly.

                        4) Are there pull out couches in the King Clubs. No there are not, but you can get rollaway beds.

                        -----
                        Expanded price list. Let me know if I'm missing anything. I want to put it on the website.

                        Hotel Prices | Prix des chambres

                        ------
                        ***Club Level King***
                        (To book this type of room your arrival date must be on or before Thrus, April 24, and departure date must be on or after Tues, April 29)

                        Base/Single/Simple (1 adult/person) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
                        Double (2 adults/personnes) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
                        Triple (3 adults/personnes) - $155.00 per night/par nuit
                        Quadruple (4 adults/personnes) - $175.00 per night/par nuit

                        ------
                        Club Level Queen/Queen
                        (To book this type of room your arrival date must be on or before Thrus, April 24, and departure date must be on or after Tues, April 29)

                        Base/Single/Simple (1 adult/person) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
                        Double (2 adults/personnes) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
                        Triple (3 adults/personnes) - $155.00 per night/par nuit
                        Quadruple (4 adults/personnes) - $175.00 per night/par nuit

                        ------
                        Traditional King

                        Base/Single/Simple (1 adult/person) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
                        Double (2 adults/personnes) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
                        Triple (3 adults/personnes) - $155.00 per night/par nuit
                        Quadruple (4 adults/personnes) - $175.00 per night/par nuit

                        ------
                        Traditional Queen
                        Base/Single/Simple (1 adult/person) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
                        Double (2 adults/personnes) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
                        Triple (3 adults/personnes) - $155.00 per night/par nuit
                        Quadruple (4 adults/personnes) - $175.00 per night/par nuit

                        Below are other FAQ that have I have been asked about by members of this list. Most is on the website
                        but I think there are other people who might benefit from it being posted here.

                        Q: Is there a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel?
                        A: Yes, that was one of the many reasons we picked this hotel.

                        Q: Does the Hotel have a Pool?
                        A: Yes a very nice one. It also has a fitness centre that is open 24h.

                        Q: Are you sure the hotel doesn't allow smoking?
                        A: Yes, really, I'm sure.

                        Q: Is there food nearby?
                        A: Yes there are dozens of restaurants within a five to ten minute walk, even a couple of 24 hour ones. There is also a Starbucks Coffee bar in the Olio Lounge at the hotel.

                        Q: Is there a car rental company nearby?
                        A: You can rent a car onsite via Transcanada Car Rental. There is also an Avis Car rental at the Airport.

                        If you have any other questions not covered, please feel free to contact me. :)

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 19, 2013
                          Awesome. Great news. Thanks for your patience Toni. :)

                          To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
                          From: layt@...
                          Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 16:15:21 -0400
                          Subject: RE: [ICG-D] RE: CC 32 room block (Tony & more information)

                          From: layt@...

                          Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 17:13:02 -0400

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 19, 2013
                            I put my foot in it at least past the knees and I owe Dawn a big time
                            apology. She reminded me that I looked over the first draft of the
                            contract, and the up charge was spelled out and I either missed it or
                            forgot it. I'm sorry. That comment was uncalled for. Since the "norm"
                            in most U.S. convention hotels is a single rate
                            single-double-triple-quad (a notable exception being the Discworld
                            convention that I am involved with) I think that most of us Yanks just
                            expected that to be the case. Dawn did what she was used to doing with
                            local conventions orders of magnitude larger than any Costume Con.
                            Again, I apologize.

                            Marty
                          • Gravely MacCabre
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 20, 2013
                              Cause you are a gentleman and a good friend

                              Gravely MacCabre
                              http://www.castleblood.com
                              http://facebook.com/gravelymaccabre
                              http://etsy.com/shops/gravelymaccabre

                              tv show clip samples at
                              http://www.veoh.com/channels/castleblood

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 20, 2013
                                I had to phone to book my room. But only because I could not remember which
                                e-mail address I use for the Starwood group of hotels. I was sad that the
                                club floor rooms were gone. Is there anyway on getting notified if one opens
                                up?

                                Henry W. Osier
                                Chicago TARDIS Masquerade Director