Costume-Con 32 room block is now open!

  • Kaijugal .
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 17, 2013
      *** The room block for Costume-Con 32 is now open! ***

      *Note* If you are arriving Thursday 2014-04-24 (or before) and saying over Monday 2014-04-28 (or later) select "CLUB FLOOR".
      As per our contract there is no additional charge for the club floors! :)

      --- If you have already booked your room please move it to our room block CCD24A. The room block supports the conference, and and also confers advantages to you such as reduced rates.

      Please copy and paste this link to book --- https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/Book/CCD24A

      Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel & Conference Centre
      801 Dixon Road
      Toronto, ON, M9W 1J5
      Canada
      Phone: (416) 675-6100
      Fax: (416) 675-4022

      Dawn McKechnie - Costume-Con 32 Chair.
      Toronto, ON - April 25-28 2014
      www.costumecon32.com

    • Bruce & Nora Mai
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 17, 2013
        What is the room rate expected to be? And do they have a specific spot for requesting the Club Floor or do you just put it in the comments/notes?

        Nora

        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 17, 2013
          On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 3:58 PM, Bruce & Nora Mai <casamai@...>wrote:

          > What is the room rate expected to be? And do they have a specific spot for
          > requesting the Club Floor or do you just put it in the comments/notes?

          When I specified Apr 24-28, it showed three options:

          2 Queen Beds: $135/night TRADITIONAL NON-SMOKING, SWEET SLEEPER BED, FLOOR
          TO CEILING WINDOWS, WI-FI INTERNET FOR A FEE, 37 INCH FLAT SCREEN LCD TV

          1 King Bed: $135/night TRADITIONAL NON-SMOKING, SWEET SLEEPER BED, FLOOR TO
          CEILING WINDOWS, WI-FI INTERNET FOR A FEE, 37 INCH FLAT SCREEN LCD TV

          1 King Bed: $135/night CLUB FLOOR NON-SMOKING, SWEET SLEEPER BED,
          CONTINENTAL BRKFST IN CLUB LNG, WI-FI INTERNET FOR A FEE, EVENING SNACKS IN
          CLUB LOUNGE

          The last option (as seen in the feature list) will get you on the Club
          Floor.
          - Eric

        • Aurora Celeste
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 17, 2013
            I tried to reserve 2 rooms for the same dates and got no results. Either
            the 2 option is not available or there is only one double available for Apr
            24-28.

            On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 5:20 PM, Eric Brine <ikegami@...> wrote:

            > On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 3:58 PM, Bruce & Nora Mai <casamai@...
            > >wrote:
            >
            > > What is the room rate expected to be? And do they have a specific spot
            > for
            > > requesting the Club Floor or do you just put it in the comments/notes?
            >

            > When I specified Apr 24-28, it showed three options:
            >
            > 2 Queen Beds: $135/night TRADITIONAL NON-SMOKING, SWEET SLEEPER BED, FLOOR
            > TO CEILING WINDOWS, WI-FI INTERNET FOR A FEE, 37 INCH FLAT SCREEN LCD TV
            >
            > 1 King Bed: $135/night TRADITIONAL NON-SMOKING, SWEET SLEEPER BED, FLOOR TO
            > CEILING WINDOWS, WI-FI INTERNET FOR A FEE, 37 INCH FLAT SCREEN LCD TV
            >
            > 1 King Bed: $135/night CLUB FLOOR NON-SMOKING, SWEET SLEEPER BED,
            > CONTINENTAL BRKFST IN CLUB LNG, WI-FI INTERNET FOR A FEE, EVENING SNACKS IN
            > CLUB LOUNGE
            >
            > The last option (as seen in the feature list) will get you on the Club
            > Floor.
            > - Eric

          • Kaijugal .
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 17, 2013
              *** The room block for Costume-Con 32 is now open! ***
              (revised with a direct to booking phone number for any changes, also more clarity on dates, please feel free to email me with any questions. :)

              *Note* If you are arriving Thursday 2014-04-24 (or before) and saying until Tuesday 2014-04-29 (or later) select "CLUB FLOOR".
              As per our contract there is no additional charge for the club floors! :)

              --- If you have already booked your room please move it to our room block CCD24A

              Please copy and paste this link to book --- https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/Book/CCD24A

              Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel & Conference Centre
              801 Dixon Road
              Toronto, ON, M9W 1J5
              Canada
              Phone: 1-866-932-7058

              Dawn McKechnie - Costume-Con 32 Chair.
              Toronto, ON - April 25-28 2014
              www.costumecon32.com

              > What is the room rate expected to be? And do they have a specific spot for

              > requesting the Club Floor or do you just put it in the comments/notes?

              When I specified Apr 24-28, it showed three options:

              2 Queen Beds: $135/night TRADITIONAL NON-SMOKING, SWEET SLEEPER BED, FLOOR

              TO CEILING WINDOWS, WI-FI INTERNET FOR A FEE, 37 INCH FLAT SCREEN LCD TV

              1 King Bed: $135/night TRADITIONAL NON-SMOKING, SWEET SLEEPER BED, FLOOR TO

              CEILING WINDOWS, WI-FI INTERNET FOR A FEE, 37 INCH FLAT SCREEN LCD TV

              1 King Bed: $135/night CLUB FLOOR NON-SMOKING, SWEET SLEEPER BED,

              CONTINENTAL BRKFST IN CLUB LNG, WI-FI INTERNET FOR A FEE, EVENING SNACKS IN

              CLUB LOUNGE

              The last option (as seen in the feature list) will get you on the Club

              Floor.

              - Eric

            • Nora & Bruce Mai
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 17, 2013
                So there's no double-queen on the club floor?

                *** The room block for Costume-Con 32 is now open! *** (revised with a

                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 17, 2013
                  I think the system is overwhelmed at the moment. It been pointed out to me, (and rightly so), that here in Toronto we're so accustomed to hotels filling the day the room block is announced that everyone is scrambling to book. There are 7 queen double on the club level and 23 ultra kings. I will log in and see what the situation is and report back. ^_^

                  To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
                  From: casamai@...
                  Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 18:23:52 -0500

                  So there's no double-queen on the club floor?

                  *** The room block for Costume-Con 32 is now open! *** (revised with a

                  direct to booking phone number for any changes, also more clarity on dates,

                  please feel free to email me with any questions. :)

                  *Note* If you are arriving Thursday 2014-04-24 (or before) and saying until

                  Tuesday 2014-04-29 (or later) select "CLUB FLOOR".

                  As per our contract there is no additional charge for the club floors! :)

                  --- If you have already booked your room please move it to our room block

                  CCD24A

                  Please copy and paste this link to book ---

                  https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/Book/CCD24A

                  Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel & Conference Centre

                  801 Dixon Road

                  Toronto, ON, M9W 1J5

                  Canada

                  Phone: 1-866-932-7058

                  Dawn McKechnie - Costume-Con 32 Chair.

                  Toronto, ON - April 25-28 2014

                  www.costumecon32.com

                  > What is the room rate expected to be? And do they have a specific spot

                  > for

                  > requesting the Club Floor or do you just put it in the comments/notes?

                  When I specified Apr 24-28, it showed three options:

                  2 Queen Beds: $135/night TRADITIONAL NON-SMOKING, SWEET SLEEPER BED, FLOOR

                  TO CEILING WINDOWS, WI-FI INTERNET FOR A FEE, 37 INCH FLAT SCREEN LCD TV

                  1 King Bed: $135/night TRADITIONAL NON-SMOKING, SWEET SLEEPER BED, FLOOR TO

                  CEILING WINDOWS, WI-FI INTERNET FOR A FEE, 37 INCH FLAT SCREEN LCD TV

                  1 King Bed: $135/night CLUB FLOOR NON-SMOKING, SWEET SLEEPER BED,

                  CONTINENTAL BRKFST IN CLUB LNG, WI-FI INTERNET FOR A FEE, EVENING SNACKS IN

                  CLUB LOUNGE

                  The last option (as seen in the feature list) will get you on the Club

                  Floor.

                  - Eric

                  -----

                  No virus found in this message.

                • Kaijugal .
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 17, 2013
                    Purportedly all the queens on the club floor are booked. Although there may be some marked as reserved. Unfortunately the
                    manager interface on the site does not list the codes of which rooms are club level and which are not. Admittedly most of the club level rooms are King.

                    To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
                    From: casamai@...
                    Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 18:23:52 -0500

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 17, 2013
                      Just tried it - not only did I not get the club floor option, it says
                      that the room rate is $175, not $135. So, I didn't make the
                      reservation yet. And we need the 2 queen bed option also.
                      ???

                      Sandy

                      At 06:36 PM 6/17/2013, you wrote:
                      >I think the system is overwhelmed at the moment. It been pointed out
                      >to me, (and rightly so), that here in Toronto we're so accustomed to
                      >hotels filling the day the room block is announced that everyone is
                      >scrambling to book. There are 7 queen double on the club level and
                      >23 ultra kings. I will log in and see what the situation is and
                      >report back. ^_^
                      >
                      >Dawn McKechnie - Costume-Con 32 Chair.
                      >Toronto, ON - April 25-28 2014
                      >www.costumecon32.com
                      >
                      >To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
                      >From: casamai@...
                      >Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 18:23:52 -0500
                      >Subject: RE: [ICG-D] Costume-Con 32 room block is now open! (REVISED)
                      >
                      > So there's no double-queen on the club floor?

                      "Those Who Fail to Learn History
                      Why They Are Simply Doomed."

                      -- C. Y. 4971

                      Andromeda
                    • Kaijugal .
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 17, 2013
                        Sorry , I posted the base rate is $135/night. Hotels in Toronto usually charge $20 extra per person occupancy over 2. I didn't realize that this doesn't happen everywhere. My mistake. I will post these clarifications everywhere so people are not confused.
                        Sorry.

                        (really wishing she had a hotel co-ordinator on staff),

                        To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
                        From: costumrs@...
                        Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 22:33:46 -0500
                        Subject: [ICG-D] RE: Costume-Con 32 room block is now open! (REVISED)

                        At 06:36 PM 6/17/2013, you wrote:

                        >I think the system is overwhelmed at the moment. It been pointed out

                        >to me, (and rightly so), that here in Toronto we're so accustomed to

                        >hotels filling the day the room block is announced that everyone is

                        >scrambling to book. There are 7 queen double on the club level and

                        >23 ultra kings. I will log in and see what the situation is and

                        >report back. ^_^

                        >Dawn McKechnie - Costume-Con 32 Chair.

                        >Toronto, ON - April 25-28 2014

                        >www.costumecon32.com

                        >To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com

                        >From: casamai@...

                        >Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 18:23:52 -0500

                        >Subject: RE: [ICG-D] Costume-Con 32 room block is now open! (REVISED)

                        > So there's no double-queen on the club floor?

                      • Lay, Toni (DDC)
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 18, 2013
                          I went to the website to reserve a room, but there doesn't seem to be rooms with two double beds, only kings. What's the deal with this?

                          Toni

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 18, 2013
                            Hi Tony,

                            There are still some double bed rooms available, just no more on the Club/Executive level floors.
                            If you try again tomorrow and still have trouble , please let me know and I'll do my darnedest to get things sorted for you.

                            For anyone else reading : There are still nice Club Level King rooms available for those people who are **booking arriving on or before Thurs April 24 and checking out on or after Tues April 29.**

                            You can only book one room at a time thru the system. (I know some
                            people had trouble because they were trying to book more than one room
                            at once.

                            If anyone has questions, or is having trouble booking rooms I urge you to contact me immediately. The hotel chain offsite booking system seems to be having difficulties so our onsite group booking agent is helping manually book rooms where there are problems.

                            Thanks all for your patience and understanding.
                            Cheers!

                            To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
                            From: layt@...
                            Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 17:13:02 -0400
                            Subject: RE: [ICG-D] Costume-Con 32 room block is now open!

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 18, 2013
                              I went to the website and had no problem making a reservation for a King
                              club, but had there been more than two in my party and I saw the extra
                              charge I probably would have been sufficiently bummed to cancel my plans
                              to come. The fact that "most Toronto hotels do this so that it is
                              understood" is BS. If it isn't spelled out in your contract then it is
                              garbage, and if it was in your contract then you owed it to all of us to
                              publicize this fact. I just got through facing down a very upscale
                              Marriott (North American Discworld Convention) that tried to slip in
                              restrictions and extra charges on the grounds that "it is our hotel
                              policy." I informed them of a basic tenant of contract law (at least in
                              the US) that if it isn't spelled out completely, expressly forbidden, or
                              a listed requirement, then it is not part of the contract and can't be
                              enforced by one party against the other.

                              I think that we are owed an explanation, and if the extra charge is not
                              spelled out in the contract, someone needs to inform them that the rate
                              is the same single, double, triple, quad and anything extra is a
                              contract violation.

                              FWIIW, the Mariott is charging NADWCon an extra $20 per person for more
                              than one in the room. I didn't negotiate the contract (that would have
                              been a deal breaker for me) but that was spelled out and has been shown
                              on our website from the very beginning. I inherited the contract, but
                              Marriott's attempt to slip in extra charges for using our own equipment
                              (a facilities fee) and quoting two different rates for the same
                              reception food two months apart ($9 upped to $20) are indicative that
                              hotels are all attempting to maximize revenue and will pull anything
                              they can until someone stops them.

                              Marty
                            • Lay, Toni (DDC)
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 19, 2013
                                I went back to their website and had no problem reserving a double room at the hotel at the convention rate. Thanks.

                                From: layt@...
                                Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 17:13:02 -0400

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 19, 2013
                                  Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel & Conference Centre
                                  801 Dixon Road
                                  Toronto, ON, M9W 1J5
                                  Canada

                                  I am writing all information here in long form for clarity. If I have still missed something please feel free to write me and let me know. I have never done the publications or hotel job before so apparently I could use a little work in the communication department. I thank you all for bearing with me.

                                  I have compiled all information here in one post.

                                  ***Please read all the information***, including on the booking page as there has been some problems with booking. Some of those notes I will repeat here because people are still not seeing them on the hotel booking site.

                                  HOTEL BOOKING FAQ:

                                  1) No it's not a mistake that you cannot book a smoking room. The hotel is a smoke free facility.

                                  2) When using the online booking system at: https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/Book/CCD24A please book one room at a time as the system will not allow you to book multiple rooms at once.

                                  3) If you wish to call the hotel to book directly, please first call 1-866-932-7058 first before calling the hotel directly.

                                  4) Are there pull out couches in the King Clubs. No there are not, but you can get rollaway beds.

                                  -----
                                  Expanded price list. Let me know if I'm missing anything. I want to put it on the website.

                                  Hotel Prices | Prix des chambres

                                  ------
                                  ***Club Level King***
                                  (To book this type of room your arrival date must be on or before Thrus, April 24, and departure date must be on or after Tues, April 29)

                                  Base/Single/Simple (1 adult/person) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
                                  Double (2 adults/personnes) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
                                  Triple (3 adults/personnes) - $155.00 per night/par nuit
                                  Quadruple (4 adults/personnes) - $175.00 per night/par nuit

                                  ------
                                  Club Level Queen/Queen
                                  (To book this type of room your arrival date must be on or before Thrus, April 24, and departure date must be on or after Tues, April 29)

                                  Base/Single/Simple (1 adult/person) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
                                  Double (2 adults/personnes) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
                                  Triple (3 adults/personnes) - $155.00 per night/par nuit
                                  Quadruple (4 adults/personnes) - $175.00 per night/par nuit

                                  ------
                                  Traditional King

                                  Base/Single/Simple (1 adult/person) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
                                  Double (2 adults/personnes) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
                                  Triple (3 adults/personnes) - $155.00 per night/par nuit
                                  Quadruple (4 adults/personnes) - $175.00 per night/par nuit

                                  ------
                                  Traditional Queen
                                  Base/Single/Simple (1 adult/person) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
                                  Double (2 adults/personnes) - $135.00 per night/par nuit
                                  Triple (3 adults/personnes) - $155.00 per night/par nuit
                                  Quadruple (4 adults/personnes) - $175.00 per night/par nuit

                                  Below are other FAQ that have I have been asked about by members of this list. Most is on the website
                                  but I think there are other people who might benefit from it being posted here.

                                  Q: Is there a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel?
                                  A: Yes, that was one of the many reasons we picked this hotel.

                                  Q: Does the Hotel have a Pool?
                                  A: Yes a very nice one. It also has a fitness centre that is open 24h.

                                  Q: Are you sure the hotel doesn't allow smoking?
                                  A: Yes, really, I'm sure.

                                  Q: Is there food nearby?
                                  A: Yes there are dozens of restaurants within a five to ten minute walk, even a couple of 24 hour ones. There is also a Starbucks Coffee bar in the Olio Lounge at the hotel.

                                  Q: Is there a car rental company nearby?
                                  A: You can rent a car onsite via Transcanada Car Rental. There is also an Avis Car rental at the Airport.

                                  If you have any other questions not covered, please feel free to contact me. :)

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 19, 2013
                                    Awesome. Great news. Thanks for your patience Toni. :)

                                    To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: layt@...
                                    Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 16:15:21 -0400
                                    Subject: RE: [ICG-D] RE: CC 32 room block (Tony & more information)

                                    From: layt@...

                                    Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 17:13:02 -0400

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 19, 2013
                                      I put my foot in it at least past the knees and I owe Dawn a big time
                                      apology. She reminded me that I looked over the first draft of the
                                      contract, and the up charge was spelled out and I either missed it or
                                      forgot it. I'm sorry. That comment was uncalled for. Since the "norm"
                                      in most U.S. convention hotels is a single rate
                                      single-double-triple-quad (a notable exception being the Discworld
                                      convention that I am involved with) I think that most of us Yanks just
                                      expected that to be the case. Dawn did what she was used to doing with
                                      local conventions orders of magnitude larger than any Costume Con.
                                      Again, I apologize.

                                      Marty
                                    • Gravely MacCabre
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jun 20, 2013
                                        Cause you are a gentleman and a good friend

                                        Gravely MacCabre
                                        http://www.castleblood.com
                                        http://facebook.com/gravelymaccabre
                                        http://etsy.com/shops/gravelymaccabre

                                        tv show clip samples at
                                        http://www.veoh.com/channels/castleblood

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jun 20, 2013
                                          I had to phone to book my room. But only because I could not remember which
                                          e-mail address I use for the Starwood group of hotels. I was sad that the
                                          club floor rooms were gone. Is there anyway on getting notified if one opens
                                          up?

                                          Henry W. Osier
                                          Chicago TARDIS Masquerade Director