Re: [ICG-D] Anime Expo Cosplay Winners

  • Alix Jordan
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 9, 2002
      Dear Herself-the-elf:

      (the masquerade coordinators are looking at cutting time limits and/or
      imposing an entry cap). But the Masquerade judging, unlike at many other
      anime cons, is done according to Worldcon standards and is very fair.
      Costumers are well-respected,

      The Anime North masquerade is run by Barb Schofield and Martin Miller.
      The green room was probably run by Penny Lipman. These are the people who
      run the Toronto Trek masquerade every year, as well as the SFX masquerade.
      Barb, Martin, and Penny are all master level costumers having competed and
      won at both Worldcon and CostumeCon across the years. Barb and Matin will
      be running the Torcon III masquerade; Penny will be doing the green room.

      As far as tech glitches this is a fact of life. Last year everything was
      ready to go, when someone got backstage (not crew) and stepped on a group of
      wires which ripped the back out of some of the sound equipment. They fixed
      it as best they could, in the time they had, but things were still hit and
      miss, with the crew advising people not to go on until they heard the music
      as it sometimes took a bit to get the machines to work. It was a good
      masquerade.

      However, we could use some of the cosplay people. A masquerade should
      cover as broad a spectrum as possible, and the masquerade organizers keep
      hoping to get some of the costumers from Animee North to come to Toronto
      Trek.

      Peace
      Alixandra
      eddana@...

    • Bruno
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 9, 2002
        It is the Age of Anime and most if not all Anime conceptions grow exponentially from their conception. At Nan Desu Kan in Denver, they have imposed a limit of 75 (30 second) entries and 5 (3-5 minute) entries to try to keep it down to about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. This restrictions came about after the con 2 years ago, which has been dubbed the "Night of 1000 Sailor Moons." I don't know how many entries they had, but to many of them were Sailor Moons and it lasted about 4 hours. I've heard that some Anime cons in an effort to keep the numbers down have instituted rules such as banning particular characters or show, ie Sailor Moon, or not allowing entries which consist of street clothes. Personally, I think that if you bought your entire costume at the mall, it doesn't belong in a costume contest. Even though, many Anime characters do wear street clothes. Wear it as a hall costume, but not on stage. One thing that most Anime costumers haven't picked up from SF costumers is the difference between Hall Costumes and Presentation Costumes. A great deal of them will wear their "masterpiece" all weekend before putting it on stage for the contest. Also, it doesn't matter how big the prop or wings, it's worn in the hall. However, large props, wings, etc, most likely have to be checked at the door of the dealers room.

        Bruno

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
          That's the way it used to be at SF cons.

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 11, 2002
            Bruno
            What you are saying is right but it took more years than one can count to
            fix that at world con and the rest and this form is new and like all they
            will learn at their own speed not by some one telling them
            Carl
          • Bruno
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 11, 2002
              I try to never tell a costumer that they should do anything. I always try to suggest things that they could do differently that enhance the presentation of their costume on stage. I would suggest that from the audience's point of view, that costumes seen on stage for the first time in the contest are much more interesting than yet another viewing of the same things that I've already seen in the halls all weekend. It doesn't really matter what they do on stage, if I've already seen it, it's just not that interesting anymore.