Re: [ICG-D] Wig Stands- problem and solution

  • BlueCosplayAngel
    Message 1 of 136 , Jun 1, 2013
      When in a bind - a 2l soda bottle filled with water or sand will give a
      decent weight and also gives you height when working with longer wigs.
      On Jun 1, 2013 1:48 AM, "JoAnn Abbott" <bubblemum@...> wrote:

      > I haven't worked very much with wigs- most of what I have had were fast
      and
      > easy to style. Actually, most were "take out of bag, put on". The wig for
      > "Make A Wish" was different though- I wanted to exactly copy the specific
      > look of the carved wooden head of the gypsy manikin. I had a shoulder
      length
      > dark wig, a bag with one of those sets of very long fake hair used in
      > braiding, some industrial strength hair spray, hairpins and a black bun
      > form. The problem was that a styrofoam wig head is very light, and I had
      no
      > way to make it stay put while I worked on building the wig.
      >
      > I checked out the cost of wig stands at the local Sally's Beauty supply
      > shop, and when I stopped gasping in horror, I turned to my palace of
      refuge
      > and cheap safety. The local thrift shop where I spend so many happy hours.
      > And there it was.
      >
      > A vertical wooden paper towel holder.
      >
      > Wonderfully stable, the spoke for the paper towel was JUST the right
      height
      > to put the Styrofoam head on. I am going to keep checking the thrift shop
      > for more of these, because who knows? Maybe I will want more for future
      > wigs, or to hold a head which displays a particularly fancy hat that I
      don't
      > want to get messed up. Since it only cost me 4 bucks, it is VERY worth it!
      >
      > Tomorrow is Saturday.yard sale day..time to scrounge!
      >
      > Make a wish, everyone!
      >
      > JoAnn in VA

    • karisu_sama
      Message 136 of 136 , May 31, 2013
        As both a costumer and the assistant to an award-winning photographer who
        typically shoots (pun intended) for gallery and portrait quality, I have always
        had the highest respect and admiration for serious skilled practitioners of both
        arts. If an artist is also involved in commercial work, I also do not believe it
        reduces the artist in any way (e.g.: a costumer who may do custom commissions.)

        AND, I assumed (I forgot that one should never assume), I was part of a community of reasonable people who might disagree on various principles, but at least would try to treat each other with due courtesy, respect and empathy.

        I would never have expected members of what I thought was "my community" to
        demote a skilled photographer, who wanted to volunteer his skills to what HE
        thought was his community, to "filthy huckster" level. It's not like you/we are
        trying to or hoping to make any actual profit from cons.

        Kudos to you, my husband, for (foolishly) believing it was your honorable obligated duty to meet your promise to provide photography, even when the situation developed such that you knew you'd be out a lot of money AND we were already so strapped that I could not afford to go to the con with you.

        Someone who knew our family's situation claims they did you a "huge favor" by taking the time to convincing some rather "ill-informed and provincially-minded" parties (I'm practicing restraint here; the term I originally thought of involved the word "bat----") just to do the reasonable, normal and proper things, but then this someone backstabs you as supposedly "gouging" due to said reasonable, normal & proper things?

        Perhaps you should NOT feel obligated to meet your promises anymore. Warm body volunteers in other positions that most anyone else can fill pull out at the last minute if they can't afford to attend, obviously costumers do too. So, maybe a quality photographer is a much tougher position to replace at the last minute?? TOO DAMNED BAD. Don't BOTHER to be so honorable to people who have no respect for you and what you do. You DON'T have any obligation to people like that.

        The amount of post-con culling and computer pre-processing time is taken *directly* out of your work hours that actually pay the family bills. Other volunteers, I would bet money that I don't have, aren't taking unpaid leave from their jobs to volunteer for a con. I shan't deign to answer any uninformed (I'd rather use a ruder term, but I'm practicing restraint) comments about "aw gee we're ALL out travel expenses so wats yer stinkin problem". There is nothing that is remotely polite that I can say to such people.

        I guess I'm learning a lot about previously-unrevealed double standards held by some members of the community, and about just who real friends are vs. who will gladly kick you when you're down. Problem is this thread is not turning out to be about simple disagreements. HOW people are saying things is revealing a lot about them, and it isn't pretty, but it's damned good to know where you stand.