New Lifetime Achievement Award, President's Award recipients

  • Philip Gust
    Message 1 of 5 , May 19, 2013
      The ICG presented its highest honor, the Lifetime Achievement Award (LAA), to two recipients on Saturday evening after the Sci-Fi/Fantasy masquerade at Costume-Con 31. The LAA recognizes a body of achievement in the costuming art and service to the costuming community. The award is voted on by the chapter presidents and ICG officers. This is the first time that the vote has resulted in a tie between two recipients.

      The 2013 LAA recipients are Tina Connell of the New Jersey / New York Costumers Guild, and Dawn McKechnie of the Fibre Fantasy Artists of Canada. You can view the full text of their citations by visiting the LAA page on the ICG website at http://www.costume.org/lifetime.

      President's Awards were also presented to ICG Archivist Pierre Pettinger, and ICG Gallery Administrators Bruce and Nora Mai, "For Extraordinary Service to ICG in Preserving and Sharing its History." These awards recognize their work in acquiring and archiving significant artifacts of costuming history, and their recent work producing videos of costumers and costuming events that further ICG's educational mission. These videos are available to ICG chapters to help promote costuming in their communities. I am incredibly grateful to them for their work.

      Please join me in congratulating Tina, Dawn, Pierre, Bruce, and Nora for their achievements!

      Philip Gust
      President, International Costumers' Guild
      icg-president@...
    • Eric Brine
      Message 2 of 5 , May 19, 2013
        Congrats to all the winners!

        Three notes:

        - The title of Dawn's page <
        http://www.costume.org/lifetime/mckechnie.html> is "Penny Lipman (2012)".
        - The title of Tina Connell's page <
        http://www.costume.org/lifetime/tinaconnell.html> is "Penny Lipman
        (2012)".
        - The photo used for Dawn <http://www.costume.org/lifetime/mckechnie.html>
        is mine. In case you care, I relinquish any Copyright on it.

        - Eric

      • Philip Gust
        Message 3 of 5 , May 20, 2013
          Hi Eric,

          First, thanks for the corrections about the title. As you can imagine, it's easier to clone and edit an existing page, and I missed changing the title tags. I've corrected them.

          Second, we do care about crediting the photographer and securing permission to use a photo in advance. In this case, suitable photos of Dawn were near impossible to find by her own admission, and we were sworn to secrecy, so asking asking around wasn't possible.

          We found the original photo here:

          http://www.adaelis.com/misc/temp/Pumpkin%20Dawn%20on%20Stage.jpg

          We tried our darnedest to locate the photographer. Unfortunately, the main page of the web site was is much empty, and we weren't able to trace "adaelis" so the trail went cold at that point.

          With time growing short before the presentation on Saturday, we had to hope that who ever took it would eventually step forward and grant permission to use it. We acknowledge you as the copyright holder, and very much appreciate you granting ICG permission to use your photo to honor Dawn. I have added a photo credit for you to the LAA main page.

          If you would also be willing to allow us to add the photo to the ICG Gallery, please send a note to the ICG Gallery administrator (gallery-admin@...) with information about the event, year, and any other information to create metadata tags. If you have a higher res image, I know that he'd appreciate having it for the archive.

          Kiindest regards,

          Philip Gust

          --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, Eric Brine <ikegami@...> wrote:

          > Congrats to all the winners!
          >
          > Three notes:
          >
          > - The title of Dawn's page <
          > http://www.costume.org/lifetime/mckechnie.html> is "Penny Lipman (2012)".
          > - The title of Tina Connell's page <
          > http://www.costume.org/lifetime/tinaconnell.html> is "Penny Lipman
          > (2012)".
          > - The photo used for Dawn <http://www.costume.org/lifetime/mckechnie.html>
          > is mine. In case you care, I relinquish any Copyright on it.
          >
          > - Eric

        • Eric Brine
          Message 4 of 5 , May 20, 2013
            On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Philip Gust <gust@...> wrote:

            > Second, we do care about crediting the photographer and securing
            > permission to use a photo in advance.

            I did not intend to sound snarky (but boy did it come out sounding that
            way). In fact, I was trying to convey that I had absolutely no problems
            with the use of the picture. I just presumed you got it from someone who
            knew it wasn't a problem, and I just wanted to make it official for you.
            (It's official notification I didn't know if you cared about.) Sorry for
            conveying the wrong impression if I did.

            > We tried our darnedest to locate the photographer. Unfortunately, the main
            > page of the web site was is much empty, and we weren't able to trace
            > "adaelis" so the trail went cold at that point.

            (By the way, the WHOIS database contains contact information for each
            domain's owner, in case you ever need to track that down in the future.)

            If you would also be willing to allow us to add the photo to the ICG
            > Gallery, please send a note to the ICG Gallery administrator (
            > gallery-admin@...) with information about the event, year, and
            > any other information to create metadata tags. If you have a higher res
            > image, I know that he'd appreciate having it for the archive.

            I'll see if I can dig up the original. For now: Permission granted, Fan
            Expo masquerade, probably 2005 (judging by the file's timestamp, should be
            easy to confirm from the use of the Canadian Idol stage). The other person
            in the picture (as some will recognise) is Gord Rose (MCing).

          • Philip Gust
            Message 5 of 5 , May 21, 2013
              --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, Eric Brine <ikegami@...> wrote:

              > On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Philip Gust <gust@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Second, we do care about crediting the photographer and securing
              > > permission to use a photo in advance.
              >

              > I did not intend to sound snarky (but boy did it come out sounding that
              > way). In fact, I was trying to convey that I had absolutely no problems
              > with the use of the picture. I just presumed you got it from someone who
              > knew it wasn't a problem, and I just wanted to make it official for you.
              > (It's official notification I didn't know if you cared about.) Sorry for
              > conveying the wrong impression if I did.

              No problem, Eric, I didn't take it that way.

              > > We tried our darnedest to locate the photographer. Unfortunately, the main
              > > page of the web site was is much empty, and we weren't able to trace
              > > "adaelis" so the trail went cold at that point.
              > >

              > (By the way, the WHOIS database contains contact information for each
              > domain's owner, in case you ever need to track that down in the future.)

              We tried that, but the WHOIS record was singularly unhelpful:

              Domain Name: ADAELIS.COM

              Registrant:
              Person
              Clarwood Dr
              Quispamsis, NB E2E4K2
              CA

              > If you would also be willing to allow us to add the photo to the ICG
              > > Gallery, please send a note to the ICG Gallery administrator (
              > > gallery-admin@...) with information about the event, year, and
              > > any other information to create metadata tags. If you have a higher res
              > > image, I know that he'd appreciate having it for the archive.
              > >

              > I'll see if I can dig up the original. For now: Permission granted, Fan
              > Expo masquerade, probably 2005 (judging by the file's timestamp, should be
              > easy to confirm from the use of the Canadian Idol stage). The other person
              > in the picture (as some will recognise) is Gord Rose (MCing).

              Thanks for permission to add it to the ICG Gallery. I'll pass this info on to our Gallery administrator. If you do find the original, please let him or me know.