ICG Costumers Quarterly Archive online

  • Philip Gust
    Message 1 of 2 , May 17, 2013
      At the ICG Annual Meeting today, ICG Recording Secretary Kathe Gust took
      the wraps off of a project that she has been working on for many months,
      to make issues of "Costumer's Quarterly" magazine available as a digital
      archive. "CQ" was a quarterly costuming magazine that the ICG published
      in print between 1987 and 2001.

      When Kathe first looked at several issues of CQ last year, she saw a
      wealth of costuming know-how, and a piece of ICG history. After
      consulting with the ICG Publications Committee, she undertook a project
      to locate issues and scan them. ICG Archivist Pierre Pettinger and NJ/NY
      Costumers Guild President Byron Connell generously made their back
      issues available. After scanning each issue, Kathe used "OCR" technology
      to make the text searchable. Finally she developed new pages for the ICG
      website listing every article of each issue with a download link to the
      issue file, and an index of articles by author.

      Kathe said that the CQ archive still needs some back issues to make a
      complete run. She asked members who saved back issues to help fill in
      the missing ones. To see which issues are needed, visit
      http://www.costumers.com/costumers_quarterly/index.html. Contact Kathe
      at icg-rec-secretary@....

      The meeting voted to congratulate Kathe, and to thank her for
      undertaking this project to make issues of CQ available again to ICG
      members and the costuming community.

      --
      Philip Gust
      President
      Message 2 of 2 , May 18, 2013
        The correct URL is:
        http://www.costume.org/costumers_quarterly/Costumers_Quarterly-TOC.html

        I have Volume 1, Issue 2, mislabeled Volume 2, Issue 2. I also have the
        GCFCG Newsletter, which was the precursor to Costumer's Quarterly and dates
        back before the ICG was rechristened. Of these I have Volumne 1, No. 1,
        Volume 2, No. 2, Volume 2, No. 3 and Vol. 3, No. 1.

        I don't have the other missing issues, I'm afraid. There's a several-year
        gap between 1998 and when I joined the Silicon Web that left me with no CQs
        at all. Are you certain the missing issues were actually printed? The
        inconsistency with which CQ was produced is what led eventually to its
        demise and replacement with the ICG Newsletter.

        Aside from the CQ issues I have that I can share, the other volumes in
        question are:

        Vol 5 No 1 (issue still missing)

        Vol 6 No 1 (issue still missing)

        Vol 13 No 2 (issue still missing)

        Vol 13 No 3 (issue still missing)

        Vol 13 No 4 (issue still missing)
        Hope this helps!

        Betsy

        On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 1:11 AM, Philip Gust <gust@...> wrote:

        > At the ICG Annual Meeting today, ICG Recording Secretary Kathe Gust took
        > the wraps off of a project that she has been working on for many months,
        > to make issues of "Costumer's Quarterly" magazine available as a digital
        > archive. "CQ" was a quarterly costuming magazine that the ICG published
        > in print between 1987 and 2001.
        >
        > When Kathe first looked at several issues of CQ last year, she saw a
        > wealth of costuming know-how, and a piece of ICG history. After
        > consulting with the ICG Publications Committee, she undertook a project
        > to locate issues and scan them. ICG Archivist Pierre Pettinger and NJ/NY
        > Costumers Guild President Byron Connell generously made their back
        > issues available. After scanning each issue, Kathe used "OCR" technology
        > to make the text searchable. Finally she developed new pages for the ICG
        > website listing every article of each issue with a download link to the
        > issue file, and an index of articles by author.
        >
        > Kathe said that the CQ archive still needs some back issues to make a
        > complete run. She asked members who saved back issues to help fill in
        > the missing ones. To see which issues are needed, visit
        > http://www.costumers.com/costumers_quarterly/index.html. Contact Kathe
        > at icg-rec-secretary@....
        >
        > The meeting voted to congratulate Kathe, and to thank her for
        > undertaking this project to make issues of CQ available again to ICG
        > members and the costuming community.
        >
        > --
        > Philip Gust
        > President