Fwd: Jan Howard Finder (Wombat) RIP

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2013
      It was because of Wombat that Silk Moth got a presentation which made it so that I had to move from novice to journeyman. While he may have been irritating to some, his fannish friendship was valued by many - including me. He was a great flirt, and had a fun sense of humor.

      Begin forwarded message:

      > From: "bandit"
      > Date: February 26, 2013 8:35:04 AM PST
      >
      > He was a friend, fan of both SF, LOTR, and route 66, and author/editor.

      > Subject: jan's status - from Lin Daniel
      > From: "jan howard finder" <jan.finder@...>
      > Date: Tue, 26 February, 2013 7:47 am
      >
      > Bandit, my voice is broken at the moment, so I have to tell you via brutal
      > e-mail rather than a fone call.
      >
      > Jan died this morning at 12:54am, his systems just shutting down. I was with
      > him, and a mutual friend was there as well.
      >
      > Jan and I had a fabulous Sunday, talking about everything from death and
      > dying thru to our relationship, things in some cases that we had never
      > spoken of to each other. I know I made him happy, and that's the best gift I
      > could give him.
      >
      > Jan wanted to be cremated, and that will be done. I asked if he wanted me to
      > sit shiva for him, and he said yes. I'm planning a memorial service in a
      > couple of months. A story was told to me by the pastor at the hospital. A
      > young friend of his flew C5s, and also flew a Cessna. He crashed the Cessna
      > and died. He was cremated, and his C5 buddies took his ashes all the places
      > the C5s flew. They scattered his ashes all over the world, and recorded in
      > pics and words where and when this was done. It struck me that something
      > similar would be a fabulous thing for Jan's ashes, and an equally fabulous
      > memorial, given that he has friends all over the world. I've gotten positive
      > feedback on that from those I've spoken to so far. I hope you like the idea
      > too.
      >
      > Lin
    • Penny
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 28, 2013
        A flirt? You mean those back rubs with a fur mitt?

        He was funny and vibrant and infinitely knowledgeable about all things fandom. I can't believe he is gone, and he will be missed.

        Thanks,
        Penny Lipman.