Re: 1920's women's clothing or patterns

  • David Serxner
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2013
      Vintage Vogue has a 1920's pattern that is really nice. I made it for a production of Moon Over Buffalo for the Noel Coward scene. Also, check Butterick retro. I think McCall's might have something for an anniversary celebration.

      David

    • Martin Gear
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31, 2013
        A friend's niece is getting married in October and wants to have a
        1920's themed wedding. Does anyone know of either a good place to find
        repro dresses or patterns? Would probably need both "flapper" and
        "mature" garments. Any help will be appreciated.
        Marty
      • randallwhitlock
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 31, 2013
          Folkwear 1927 Tea Frock.

          _http://www.folkwear.com/214.html_ (http://www.folkwear.com/214.html)

          I just heard the Phoenix Art Museum has a 1920s clothing display running
          now, though I'm not sure it would help your situation.

          Randall

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2013
            I can think of a source very quickly:

            Lost Coast Patterns, Janet Canning (Greater Bay Area Costumers' Guild,
            but not an ICG chapter, based in Northern California)
            http://www.lostcoastpatternsco.com/

            If one of these can't come up with something, they should be able to
            point you to a source.

            On Jan 31, 2013, at 4:25 PM, Martin Gear wrote:

            > A friend's niece is getting married in October and wants to have a
            > 1920's themed wedding. Does anyone know of either a good place to find
            > repro dresses or patterns? Would probably need both "flapper" and
            > "mature" garments. Any help will be appreciated.
            > Marty
          • Trudy Leonard
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2013
              You can also go on Ebay and put in Le Mode Illustree. These are fashion magazines for all different eras and include traceable patterns. There are usually a number of different garments for women and children. I believe I recall at least one wedding dress pattern. These are probably for the advanced sewer, as you would have to size them up or down. There's usually at least one for a "lady of a certain age". They are also not cheap, but depending on how many people they want to outfit, it should give you the greatest variety.

              As others have mentioned, the commercial pattern companies have had several patterns over the years for twenties items, including wedding dresses. They may not be in print now, but, again, Ebay (and probably Etsy) are your friends. These might be better because they take the modern figure into account.

              Trudy

              To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com; gcfcg@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 1, 2013
                Don't forget Dover books (though remember to compare their prices, sales and discount against Amazon) Best place to purchase varies.

                For the full list...
                http://store.doverpublications.com/by-subject-antiques--collecting-costume--textiles.html

                Dover offers reprints. They're not on great paper, but they are a great deal. Most are just black and white. The Dover listings have links to previews in google so you can get an idea of each book. (When cross checking prices on Amazon... you've got options for Kindle (though the ddisplays may not be clean), some used, and sometimes extra listings of the originals that may have a different binding.

                1920s Fashions from B. Altman & Company
                http://store.doverpublications.com/0486402932.html

                Authentic French Fashions of the Twenties: 413 Costume Designs from "L'Art Et La Mode"
                http://store.doverpublications.com/0486261875.html

                Classic French Fashions of the Twenties
                http://store.doverpublications.com/0486489434.html

                And don't forget Sears Catalogue (though most of these are abridged versions)
                Everyday Fashions of the Twenties as Pictured in Sears and Other Catalogs
                http://store.doverpublications.com/0486241343.html

                And, if you need something more visual in colors, and less expensive... Don't forget about their paper doll series. (Actually they're fab for any era you just want a sample for, and don't want to spend much money.). The drawing are taken from authentic items. The artist keeps the lines clear, though sometimes must simplify.

                Great Fashion Designs of the Twenties Paper Dolls
                http://store.doverpublications.com/0486244822.html

                Art Deco Fashions Paper Dolls
                http://store.doverpublications.com/048644158x.html

                -Cat-