Sari-inspired

  • Kathryn Draves
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 14, 2013
      What to do with the fabrics you picked up on your last visit to the sari district?

      Marchesa's spring line features India-inspired fashions, many derived from traditional clothing and sari fabrics. Click on the "slideshow" button under the photo.

      Kathy

      http://www.style.com/fashionshows/review/S2013RTW-MARCHESA

    • Jill Eastlake
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 14, 2013
        Beautiful! Thanks!

        Jill

      • Silvara

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 14, 2013
            Depends on where you live. If you live in Seattle, you tend to go to
            Vancouver, Canada. If you live in the San Francisco Bay Area, you have
            lots of places to go - especially in the South Bay. If you live
            somewhere else, ask around or use the Internet to find out. Lots of
            sari districts out there. It isn't any *one* place.

            On Jan 14, 2013, at 1:59 PM, Silvara wrote:

            > Where is the sari district?
            >
            > Sharron
          • juliezetterberg
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 14, 2013
              Depends on where you live. There are "sari districts" in many cities
              across the US and Canada.

              --Julie ZS

              > Where is the sari district?
              >
              > Sharron
            • Barb Schofield
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 14, 2013
                Wonderful, thanks for this post.  I see detailed sari's and suits (dress, pants & scarf) all the time in second-hand stores, and have wondered how to remake them into something for costume or clothing.  I was considering beaded purses.  Does anyone have any ideas for uses?

                Barb

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 14, 2013
                  We have a lot of the tunic and pants sets at our second hand stores, and although most of them will not fit me, I buy some of the more heavily embroidered ones to cut the motifs off and re-use in costumes. I used a sari for a Byzantine robe that I made. Most saris are at least six yards long, so you have a lot of fabric to work with. Usually there is a heavily decorated edge at one end, a motif that runs though the rest of the length, and a slightly less elaborate edge on the other end. The edges can also be cut off and used on other projects. Since the fabrics are usually quite light weight, they can also be wonderful for doll clothing.

                  To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
                  From: wilberforcebarb@...
                  Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 15:44:28 -0800
                  Subject: Re: [ICG-D] Sari-inspired

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 14, 2013
                    Many beautiful gowns and ideas for design, but some of the ugliest models I
                    have seen in a while! Not just because of the apparent anorexia but the
                    makeup- bleh!

                    JoAnn in VA

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 15, 2013
                      I love Machesa's approach to dresses and their love of beautiful
                      embellishments. This India inspired collection had some really stellar
                      pieces. They also tap into historical feeling gowns and couture better then
                      most.

                      (PS I only saw one model that looked too skinny. Most were thin but with
                      normal musculature. However I really didn't like the white patch on the
                      inside of their eyes of their makeup.)

                      Susan
                      (PPS I wish we had a better source for second hand Indian clothing and
                      saris in my neighborhood!)