Re: [ICG-D] Re: Reflective Paint on Fabric?

  • randwhit@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2012
      I'll check out the article.

      I've found a manufacturer's web site that sells the reflective material as
      a silk screen ink, but they want to sell it by the gallon. A bit much for
      one project.

      I'm thinking now I could do the logo in plain gray fabric paint then apply
      a thin top coat of the reflective paint available in spray cans at hardware
      stores. An SWCG member showed us a butcher paper stencil technique a while
      back that should adapt well for this.

      Randall

      In a message dated 12/30/2012 6:01:41 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
      gust@... writes:

      Hi Randall,

      I haven't tried it myself, but Mona May, who designed the costumes for the
      Disney "Haunted Mansion" movie did exactly that. A summary of the
      technique and a photo appears in a side bar of an article in the August 2012
      "Hauntings and Horror!" issue of "The Virtual Costumer" magazine
      (_http://www.siwcostumers.org/vc_contents.html#v10_i3_
      (http://www.siwcostumers.org/vc_contents.html#v10_i3) ). The article, "On Loan from the Haunted
      Mansion" starts on page 11.

      I can try to contact Mona if you need to know more specific information
      about the technique and material she used. It might make a nice article.

      There is also active interest in a technique for applying
      electroluminescent material as a paint. The advantage is that the effect is less dependent
      on lighting conditions than the reflective paint Mona used Again, I haven't
      tried it (yet), but check out the "Electroluminescent Coating System (TM)"
      that LumiLor has developed (_http://www.lumilor.com_
      (http://www.lumilor.com/) ). The disadvantage is that you need a battery, but you can probably
      run this type of thing for a couple of hours on a single 9v battery. Might be
      worth the trouble for the added safety, though.

      If you decide to try either of these, let me know how it works out.

      --- In _ICG-D@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:ICG-D@yahoogroups.com) ,