Re: [ICG-D] Movie recommendation: slightly OT

  • Betsy Marks Delaney
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 28, 2012
      Yep. I know. I'm still planning to see both again, at least once. And I'm
      pretty picky about movies I'll pay for in theaters these days, with a
      seriously restricted income.

      As always, your mileage may vary.

      Cheers,

      Betsy

      On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 7:01 PM, Byron Connell <byronpconnell@...>wrote:

      > It's had poor reviews. So has The Hobbit.
      >
      > Byron
      >

      > On Dec 28, 2012, at 8:36 AM, Betsy Marks Delaney <aramintamd@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > I second Pierre and Sandy's comments. The costuming (well, the entire
      > look
      > > and feel of the movie in general) is exactly as it should be, the later
      > > scenes with Cosette, particularly toward the end, are just as they should
      > > be.
      > >
      > > There are complaints about the quality of singing, but I will point out
      > > that there is no need to hit the back wall of the theater in a movie, so
      > > where you would normally get belting to show emotion, it's completely
      > > unnecessary in a movie. Russell Crowe (by far the weakest voice in the
      > > cast) is there when he needs to be, and if this doesn't earn Anne
      > Hathaway
      > > an Oscar I'll eat my hat.
      > >
      > > I've seen it once and intend to see it at least twice more.
      > >
      > > BRING tissues!
      > >
      > > Just see it.
      > >
      > > Okay?
      > >
      > > 8)
      > >
      > > (Saw the Hobbit too, and will likely see it again, but I'm nowhere near
      > as
      > > excited about seeing it a second time as I am Les Miz.)
      > >
      > > Betsy
      > >
      > > --
      > > --
      > > --
      > > Betsy Marks Delaney
      > >
      > > http://www.hawkeswood.com/

      Betsy Marks Delaney

      http://www.hawkeswood.com/

    • John Francini
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 29, 2012
        Interesting. RottenTomatoes.com's collective review numbers for Les Miserables are higher than those for The Hobbit.

        Les Miserables: 72% critics, 86% users
        The Hobbit: 65% critics, 81% users

        But then again the movie version of Phant of the Opera was panned by critics yet loved by moviegoers: 33% critics, 86% users.

        So what the hell do the critics know? Not much, obviously.

        I think critics just don't 'get' genre films.

        John

        --
        John Francini <francini@...>
        "I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace; that two are called a law firm; and that three or more become a Congress. And by God I have had *this* Congress!" --John Adams

      • Trudy Leonard
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 29, 2012
          Some of the criticisms of both films have been a bit odd. One person nearly tied himself in knot trying to explain how songs in a stage show portray the emotions of the characters, but on screen, especially with close-ups, you see the actor portray the emotion, so the song was too much. For the Hobbit, someone complained that scenes that only took a page or so, lasted too long in the movie. Of course in the book, your mind supplies the acting out of the scene, film being a more literal medium, they tend to show you the action.

          I always have to wince a little at the criticism that a film is "too true to the book". Of course, I loved the book, so I want you to completely change it when you make the film. Can anyone say "Shining", a movie I came out of screaming, not because I was frightened by the film, but because the film had so very little to do with a book that had scared the pants off of me (particularly because I started reading it one Saturday afternoon when I was working by myself in an old library with a lots of creaks and moans).

          I rely more on word of mouth from friends these days. I've seen too many clunkers that the critics raved about, and enjoyed too many films that the critics hated, to depend on their opinions any more.

          Trudy

          CC: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
          To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
          From: francini@...
          Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 20:49:53 -0500
          Subject: Re: [ICG-D] Movie recommendation: slightly OT

        • randwhit@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 29, 2012
            The trick is to find some particular critic whose tastes align with your
            own, rather than trying to average them.

            Randall

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 30, 2012
              At 06:01 PM 12/28/2012, you wrote:
              >It's had poor reviews. So has The Hobbit.
              >
              >Byron

              So did the stage show when it premiered. But it was embraced by audiences.

              The 1985 London production won the Laurence Olivier Award for Best
              New Musical (and two others)

              The 1987 Broadway production won the Tony for Best Musical (and 9 others)

              Most of the poor reviews we've seen have been written either by
              reviewers who don't like musicals or dislike the hoi polloi love for
              the original material. .

              We loved it.

              Pierre and Sandy
              ec 28, 2012, at 8:36 AM, Betsy Marks Delaney <aramintamd@...> wrote:

              > > I second Pierre and Sandy's comments. The costuming (well, the entire look
              > > and feel of the movie in general) is exactly as it should be, the later
              > > scenes with Cosette, particularly toward the end, are just as they should
              > > be.
              > >
              > > There are complaints about the quality of singing, but I will point out
              > > that there is no need to hit the back wall of the theater in a movie, so
              > > where you would normally get belting to show emotion, it's completely
              > > unnecessary in a movie. Russell Crowe (by far the weakest voice in the
              > > cast) is there when he needs to be, and if this doesn't earn Anne Hathaway
              > > an Oscar I'll eat my hat.
              > >
              > > I've seen it once and intend to see it at least twice more.
              > >
              > > BRING tissues!
              > >
              > > Just see it.
              > >
              > > Okay?
              > >
              > > 8)
              > >
              > > (Saw the Hobbit too, and will likely see it again, but I'm nowhere near as
              > > excited about seeing it a second time as I am Les Miz.)
              > >
              > > Betsy

              "Those Who Fail to Learn History
              Why They Are Simply Doomed."

              -- C. Y. 4971