Fwd: [GBACGCostumers] Louis Comfort Tiffany Necklace on Antiques Roadshow

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 22, 2012
      Drool worthy. The link still works.

      Begin forwarded message:

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 25, 2012
        A Very Merry Christmas to All!

        Pierre and Sandy

        "Those Who Fail to Learn History
        Why They Are Simply Doomed."

        -- C. Y. 4971

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 27, 2012
          We would like to highly recommend the film version of Les Miserables.
          There are some noticeable differences from the stage show (beyond the
          obvious needs of film vs. stage), but we see them as rational
          adjustments to the medium.

          We have loved the stage production of Les Miz since we first saw it
          something like 15-18 years ago. We love this as well.

          And Javert wears some neat uniforms, which returns us to topic. :)

          Pierre and Sandy

          "Those Who Fail to Learn History
          Why They Are Simply Doomed."

          -- C. Y. 4971

          Andromeda
        • Betsy Marks Delaney
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 28, 2012
            I second Pierre and Sandy's comments. The costuming (well, the entire look
            and feel of the movie in general) is exactly as it should be, the later
            scenes with Cosette, particularly toward the end, are just as they should
            be.

            There are complaints about the quality of singing, but I will point out
            that there is no need to hit the back wall of the theater in a movie, so
            where you would normally get belting to show emotion, it's completely
            unnecessary in a movie. Russell Crowe (by far the weakest voice in the
            cast) is there when he needs to be, and if this doesn't earn Anne Hathaway
            an Oscar I'll eat my hat.

            I've seen it once and intend to see it at least twice more.

            BRING tissues!

            Just see it.

            Okay?

            8)

            (Saw the Hobbit too, and will likely see it again, but I'm nowhere near as
            excited about seeing it a second time as I am Les Miz.)

            Betsy

            Betsy Marks Delaney

            http://www.hawkeswood.com/

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 28, 2012
              It's had poor reviews. So has The Hobbit.

              Byron

              On Dec 28, 2012, at 8:36 AM, Betsy Marks Delaney <aramintamd@...> wrote:

              > I second Pierre and Sandy's comments. The costuming (well, the entire look
              > and feel of the movie in general) is exactly as it should be, the later
              > scenes with Cosette, particularly toward the end, are just as they should
              > be.
              >
              > There are complaints about the quality of singing, but I will point out
              > that there is no need to hit the back wall of the theater in a movie, so
              > where you would normally get belting to show emotion, it's completely
              > unnecessary in a movie. Russell Crowe (by far the weakest voice in the
              > cast) is there when he needs to be, and if this doesn't earn Anne Hathaway
              > an Oscar I'll eat my hat.
              >
              > I've seen it once and intend to see it at least twice more.
              >
              > BRING tissues!
              >
              > Just see it.
              >
              > Okay?
              >
              > 8)
              >
              > (Saw the Hobbit too, and will likely see it again, but I'm nowhere near as
              > excited about seeing it a second time as I am Les Miz.)
              >
              > Betsy
              >
              > --
              > --
              > --
              > Betsy Marks Delaney
              >
              > http://www.hawkeswood.com/

            • Betsy Marks Delaney
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 28, 2012
                Yep. I know. I'm still planning to see both again, at least once. And I'm
                pretty picky about movies I'll pay for in theaters these days, with a
                seriously restricted income.

                As always, your mileage may vary.

                Cheers,

                Betsy

                On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 7:01 PM, Byron Connell <byronpconnell@...>wrote:

                > It's had poor reviews. So has The Hobbit.
                >
                > Byron
                >

                > On Dec 28, 2012, at 8:36 AM, Betsy Marks Delaney <aramintamd@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > I second Pierre and Sandy's comments. The costuming (well, the entire
                > look
                > > and feel of the movie in general) is exactly as it should be, the later
                > > scenes with Cosette, particularly toward the end, are just as they should
                > > be.
                > >
                > > There are complaints about the quality of singing, but I will point out
                > > that there is no need to hit the back wall of the theater in a movie, so
                > > where you would normally get belting to show emotion, it's completely
                > > unnecessary in a movie. Russell Crowe (by far the weakest voice in the
                > > cast) is there when he needs to be, and if this doesn't earn Anne
                > Hathaway
                > > an Oscar I'll eat my hat.
                > >
                > > I've seen it once and intend to see it at least twice more.
                > >
                > > BRING tissues!
                > >
                > > Just see it.
                > >
                > > Okay?
                > >
                > > 8)
                > >
                > > (Saw the Hobbit too, and will likely see it again, but I'm nowhere near
                > as
                > > excited about seeing it a second time as I am Les Miz.)
                > >
                > > Betsy
                > >
                > > --
                > > --
                > > --
                > > Betsy Marks Delaney
                > >
                > > http://www.hawkeswood.com/

                Betsy Marks Delaney

                http://www.hawkeswood.com/

              • John Francini
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 29, 2012
                  Interesting. RottenTomatoes.com's collective review numbers for Les Miserables are higher than those for The Hobbit.

                  Les Miserables: 72% critics, 86% users
                  The Hobbit: 65% critics, 81% users

                  But then again the movie version of Phant of the Opera was panned by critics yet loved by moviegoers: 33% critics, 86% users.

                  So what the hell do the critics know? Not much, obviously.

                  I think critics just don't 'get' genre films.

                  John

                  --
                  John Francini <francini@...>
                  "I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace; that two are called a law firm; and that three or more become a Congress. And by God I have had *this* Congress!" --John Adams

                • Trudy Leonard
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 29, 2012
                    Some of the criticisms of both films have been a bit odd. One person nearly tied himself in knot trying to explain how songs in a stage show portray the emotions of the characters, but on screen, especially with close-ups, you see the actor portray the emotion, so the song was too much. For the Hobbit, someone complained that scenes that only took a page or so, lasted too long in the movie. Of course in the book, your mind supplies the acting out of the scene, film being a more literal medium, they tend to show you the action.

                    I always have to wince a little at the criticism that a film is "too true to the book". Of course, I loved the book, so I want you to completely change it when you make the film. Can anyone say "Shining", a movie I came out of screaming, not because I was frightened by the film, but because the film had so very little to do with a book that had scared the pants off of me (particularly because I started reading it one Saturday afternoon when I was working by myself in an old library with a lots of creaks and moans).

                    I rely more on word of mouth from friends these days. I've seen too many clunkers that the critics raved about, and enjoyed too many films that the critics hated, to depend on their opinions any more.

                    Trudy

                    CC: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
                    To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
                    From: francini@...
                    Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 20:49:53 -0500
                    Subject: Re: [ICG-D] Movie recommendation: slightly OT

                  • randwhit@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 29, 2012
                      The trick is to find some particular critic whose tastes align with your
                      own, rather than trying to average them.

                      Randall

                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 30, 2012
                        At 06:01 PM 12/28/2012, you wrote:
                        >It's had poor reviews. So has The Hobbit.
                        >
                        >Byron

                        So did the stage show when it premiered. But it was embraced by audiences.

                        The 1985 London production won the Laurence Olivier Award for Best
                        New Musical (and two others)

                        The 1987 Broadway production won the Tony for Best Musical (and 9 others)

                        Most of the poor reviews we've seen have been written either by
                        reviewers who don't like musicals or dislike the hoi polloi love for
                        the original material. .

                        We loved it.

                        Pierre and Sandy