Man Box

  • randwhit@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2012
      Here's a conversation/argument starter:

      I have a wood and glass box where I keep my man-jewelry like watches, tie
      bars, cuff links, lapel pins, pen & pencil set, etc.

      Is there a special name for a gentleman's accessory box? Jewelry box is
      accurate, but you'd think there would be a more masculine-sounding term.

      Randall

    • Kevin Roche
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2012
        I have seen them referred to as a valet.

        Kevin

        Sent from my iPhone

      • randwhit@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2012
          Hadn't thought of that.

          The valets I've seen in antique shops are generally a free-standing bit of
          furniture with a coat hanger thingie sticking up from the back, presumably
          so Jeeves can lay out Wooster's dinner jacket.

          I suppose the term would apply to a smaller cabinet too.

          Randall

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2012
            At 09:38 PM 12/1/2012, you wrote:

            More specifically, a desk valet. Probably just an extension of the
            valet's designed for your suit.

            Pierre

            > I have seen them referred to as a valet.
            >
            >Kevin
            >
            >Sent from my iPhone
            >
            >On Dec 1, 2012, at 4:04 PM,
            >"<mailto:randwhit%40aol.com>randwhit@..."
            ><<mailto:randwhit%40aol.com>randwhit@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Here's a conversation/argument starter:
            > >
            > > I have a wood and glass box where I keep my man-jewelry like watches, tie
            > > bars, cuff links, lapel pins, pen & pencil set, etc.
            > >
            > > Is there a special name for a gentleman's accessory box? Jewelry box is
            > > accurate, but you'd think there would be a more masculine-sounding term.
            > >
            > > Randall

            "Those Who Fail to Learn History
            Why They Are Simply Doomed."

            -- C. Y. 4971

          • Barb Schofield
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3, 2012
              Looking where they sell them, cataloges refer to them as:

              1959 = jewelry case
              1972 = jewel box, valet or night valet
              1979 = jewel box, organizer box, and dresser valet
              1983 = valet
              1988 = valet
              2012 = valet and jewelry case

              The site "WishbookWeb.Com" has calaloges starting in 1933 and is an ongoing project to archive vintage Christmas Cataloges.  Great place to look up vintage items.

              Barb