Re: [ICG-D] Care and feeding of an 1880's mans wool suit

  • Christine
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 23 12:42 PM
      I keep woollen stuff in double thickness of cloth bags. Then inside a chest.
      I was reading about keeping grain for long periods of time. The problem
      with this is that the eggs of the moth are already on the grain when it
      is stored. The solution is to immerse the grain in carbon dioxide. This
      is done by putting the grain in a closed container with dry ice. The dry
      ice vaporizes and becomes carbon dioxide which kills any moths. I wonder
      if a wool piece could be placed in a garbage can with dry ice to kill
      any existing moth. The wool could then be stored in a tightly woven
      double cotton sack.
      Christine

      On 20/09/2012 10:41 AM, Jeanine Swick wrote:

      > Some links for making your own. There are many if you search on Google.
      >
      > > http://www.sunlandherbs.com/recipes/herbal-moth-repellent/
      > > http://www.diylife.com/2008/04/15/make-moth-repellent-sachets/
      > > http://frugalliving.about.com/od/doityourself/tp/Get_Rid_of_Moths.htm
      >
      > Jeanine
      >
      > On 09/20/2012 10:24 AM, Trudy Leonard wrote:
      > > We usually put the cedar chips in muslin bags and lay them on top of
      > the paper after it's folded over the garment. The smell of the moth
      > balls is so strong that you would have a hard time getting it out in
      > order to wear the suit.
      > >
      > > I recently purchased a cotton blouse from Goodwill to convert into a
      > Steampunk piece, and it had been stored in proximity to mothballs
      > (why, I don't know). The odor is so strong that the other items in the
      > laundry basket have also taken on the smell. I'm hoping it will come
      > out okay when I wash them.
      > >
      > > I know that clothing in the middle ages was stored with herbs to
      > ward off moths. You might check on that. Of course, they were just
      > strewn between the layers of garments, but you could put them in bags
      > also.
      > >
      > > Trudy

    • Kevin Roche
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 23 2:03 PM
        Even better if you can find any if the original febreze (before they
        started scenting it)

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Sep 23, 2012, at 6:03 AM, Nora <von_drago@...> wrote:

        > It may sound crazy but if the object can stand being damp try Febreze (and if you can stand the smell of Febreze
      • ARD
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 8, 2012
          I'm a little late here, but I have a book about preserving things and
          they specifically say that Mothballs are only for cases where you
          already have an insect infestation and you should get types that kill
          insects, larvae and eggs.

          And that vintage clothes should be hung from padded hangers. Not hard to
          get, or make with a little muslin and batting.

          It is now clear that the Krell** never invented an internet.
          Because if they had, they would have known about that id problem.

          **The Krell: the super-beings from the movie 'Forbidden Planet'
          who destroyed themselves overnight after linking their minds to the
          nearly unlimited energy source that powered their civilization and
          unleashing the dark id lurking beneath their vast intellects.
          - - Anne Davenport - - - - - - - - - - kjaneway@... - -