Re: Removal of mothball odor/ was [ICG-D] Care and feeding of an 1880's mans wool suit

  • Nora
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 23, 2012
      It may sound crazy but if the object can stand being damp try Febreze (and if you can stand the smell of Febreze itself).

      I inherited a couch from my mother that reeked of cigarette smoke (she was a heavy smoker for years). We re-applied Febreze liberally for several weeks, letting it dry thoroughly between applications. It's completely useable now, I can even sleep on it which I could not if it still smelled of cigarettes.

      Nora

      --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, Trudy Leonard <georgialei@...> wrote:

      > Washing the blouse with Oxyclean and baking soda with a vinegar rinse did not do the job. I'm going to try hanging it in the sun for several days and see it that helps. I might bring it in at night and store it with the baking soda. I was reading articles on-line about how hard it is to get the smell out, so I would definitely not recommend mothballs for the vintage suit.
      > TrudyTo: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
      > From: nebula5@...
      > Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 06:24:12 -0700
      > Subject: RE: [ICG-D] Care and feeding of an 1880's mans wool suit

      > Trudy,
      >
      > Try putting the blouse in a container with an open box of baking soda and
      >
      > leaving it for a while. It worked to get the strong mothball scent out of a
      >
      > vintage suitcase.
      >

      > --Julie ZS

    • Christine
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 23, 2012
        I keep woollen stuff in double thickness of cloth bags. Then inside a chest.
        I was reading about keeping grain for long periods of time. The problem
        with this is that the eggs of the moth are already on the grain when it
        is stored. The solution is to immerse the grain in carbon dioxide. This
        is done by putting the grain in a closed container with dry ice. The dry
        ice vaporizes and becomes carbon dioxide which kills any moths. I wonder
        if a wool piece could be placed in a garbage can with dry ice to kill
        any existing moth. The wool could then be stored in a tightly woven
        double cotton sack.
        Christine

        On 20/09/2012 10:41 AM, Jeanine Swick wrote:

        > Some links for making your own. There are many if you search on Google.
        >
        > > http://www.sunlandherbs.com/recipes/herbal-moth-repellent/
        > > http://www.diylife.com/2008/04/15/make-moth-repellent-sachets/
        > > http://frugalliving.about.com/od/doityourself/tp/Get_Rid_of_Moths.htm
        >
        > Jeanine
        >
        > On 09/20/2012 10:24 AM, Trudy Leonard wrote:
        > > We usually put the cedar chips in muslin bags and lay them on top of
        > the paper after it's folded over the garment. The smell of the moth
        > balls is so strong that you would have a hard time getting it out in
        > order to wear the suit.
        > >
        > > I recently purchased a cotton blouse from Goodwill to convert into a
        > Steampunk piece, and it had been stored in proximity to mothballs
        > (why, I don't know). The odor is so strong that the other items in the
        > laundry basket have also taken on the smell. I'm hoping it will come
        > out okay when I wash them.
        > >
        > > I know that clothing in the middle ages was stored with herbs to
        > ward off moths. You might check on that. Of course, they were just
        > strewn between the layers of garments, but you could put them in bags
        > also.
        > >
        > > Trudy

      • Kevin Roche
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 23, 2012
          Even better if you can find any if the original febreze (before they
          started scenting it)

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Sep 23, 2012, at 6:03 AM, Nora <von_drago@...> wrote:

          > It may sound crazy but if the object can stand being damp try Febreze (and if you can stand the smell of Febreze
        • ARD
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 8, 2012
            I'm a little late here, but I have a book about preserving things and
            they specifically say that Mothballs are only for cases where you
            already have an insect infestation and you should get types that kill
            insects, larvae and eggs.

            And that vintage clothes should be hung from padded hangers. Not hard to
            get, or make with a little muslin and batting.

            It is now clear that the Krell** never invented an internet.
            Because if they had, they would have known about that id problem.

            **The Krell: the super-beings from the movie 'Forbidden Planet'
            who destroyed themselves overnight after linking their minds to the
            nearly unlimited energy source that powered their civilization and
            unleashing the dark id lurking beneath their vast intellects.
            - - Anne Davenport - - - - - - - - - - kjaneway@... - -