Re: [ICG-D] Con/Masquerade Horror Stories -What's yours?

  • Dave Kanoy
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2012
      Sounds like it for a reason.  It was 2006.

      Later,

      Dave Kanoy

      ________________________________
      From: "Dave Kanoy" <davekanoy@...>
      Date: Mon, Jul 30, 2012 11:19 pm
      To: <ICG-D@yahoogroups.com>

      My masquerade horror story is for a masquerade I wasn't in and didn't even see.

      It was for the NC-17 masquerade at Dragoncon (titled Girls of the Spatcave)..
      The costume track director plugged the masq all day and lectured everyone about
      how there wouldn't be any photography allowed because they want Sunday school
      teachers to be able to cut loose without fear of their employers seeing them on
      the internet and if we even took a phone out, we'd be escorted away by
      security.  Every panel I went to started with this plug and lecture from him.  I

      volunteered to help earlier and was assigned the duty of judges clerk by someone

      else working the costuming track.  When I went to introduce myself to the
      costume track director and that I was the judges clerk, he replied, "What's a
      judges clerk?"  Pretty clear indication of what was to come.  Since I had
      volunteered to help and he clearly didn't want a judges clerk, I decided I would

      help check IDs at the door.  No minors allowed.  Con security walked up and
      decided that duty belonged to them, so I volunteered to walk down the rather
      long line of people waiting to get in and tell everyone to have their IDs
      ready.  When I got back to the front of the line, I found all the "Sunday school

      teachers" huddled in the hallway.  THERE WAS NO GREENROOM!  Every jerk at the
      con was walking up with their camera and taking all the photos they wanted.
      When the doors to the room eventually opened, I walked the line again telling
      folks to have their IDs out and when the room filled up, walked it one more time

      to let everyone know they were out of luck.  Then I walked away.  That was the
      end of my association with that fiasco.

      Later,

      Dave Kanoy

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2012
        Ohhhhh boy. Yeah, it was apparent because the director “bumpered” the Dawn Look-A-Like Contest panel as well, and if my memory serves, every costuming track panel he could get his hands on. Also, if my memory serves correctly, that went over like a lead balloon, mostly because he was long-winded and sucked up about 15 to 20 minutes of time that could have been used by the panel.

        Dany

        -and that may just be the more polite way of addressing the situation.

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2012
          Hi Dany -
          Ah yes, I remember it & him well. Not fondly, just well. It wasn't until
          several years later that D*C finally dumped him and gave the job to Lee
          Cox who had been doing all the real work on the Masq track.
          Marty