Skip to search.

RE: [ICG-D] Panel on shopping for costumes?

  • Katherine Daida
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 8 8:22 AM
      Kind of on topic, but a man in our guild does nothing but photograph costumes, and he is a welcome addition to our members.

      Katt

      To: ICG-D@yahoogroups.com
      From: VWarren360@...
      Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 10:25:32 -0500
      Subject: Re: [ICG-D] Panel on shopping for costumes?

      I admire people who can find stuff and assemble a costume out it. I'm lame about being able to find stuff so usually end up making it.

      Vicki

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 8 9:40 AM
        When I write masquerade rules, I always leave room for creatively
        assembled costumes (as opposed to costumes purchased outright as a
        finished piece).

        Disclosure to the judging panel (of made vs purchased) is required.

        Kevin

        On 12/8/2011 6:25 AM, Betsy Delaney wrote:

        > When we aren't talking about competition, a costume is a costume. How it's
        > assembled and who does the work is, I think, irrelevant. No matter where I
        > am, if I see something impressive, I take the time to say "nice costume."
        > Recognition and appreciation make the best encouragement.
        >
        > Betsy

      • staceylee25
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 8 9:43 AM
          --- In ICG-D@yahoogroups.com, ARD <kjaneway@...> wrote:
          > So, where are the panels about shopping for your costume? There is a
          > lot of quality stuff in the dealers' room these days. But do people
          > know what to look for? Best colors? Best fit? Comfort? Care and
          > cleaning for a purchased outfit?

          You know, I have mixed feelings about this.

          On the one hand, I fully support and encourage the idea that a costume is a costume, where you got it from doesn't matter and people should wear whatever they want. In addition, I'm a commissioner and business for me is a good thing.

          On the other hand...well, perhaps it's because I'm in contact with a large segment of the cosplay genre whose first thought when it comes to buying their costumes is "which Japanese or Chinese seller will be cheapest?" I'm hesitant about using a panel to actively encourage this attitude, particularly since most of them don't care about fit or quality, they just want the low, low price.

          Now, a panel on assembling costumes from found items, with emphasis on supporting local businesses (for whatever value of "local" applies to your con/region), I'm all for. I don't do it myself, aside from shoes, but people who primarily assemble their costumes this way could be glorious experts on the subject and sure. Share your tips. Lots of people get started in costuming this way. Lots of people prefer this means of costuming, too. "Costuming for people who don't sew" or something like that is a safer name than "buying your costume," perhaps, lest you get people crawling in wanting a list of the best overseas websites to get the cheapest knockoff costumes from unlicensed dealers.

          Stace
          MACS president and other stuff
        • Elaine Mami
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 8 5:00 PM
            Well, Carl did almost nothing but video for years - and now we have The Archives! Everyone who has any interest in costumes at all are welcome additions. That's especially true for our techies of all stripes!

            Elaine Nil significat nisi oscillat!

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 8 5:55 PM
              I aqgree!

              Byron

              On Dec 8, 2011, at 9:25 AM, Betsy Delaney wrote:

              > IRecognition and appreciation make the best encouragement.
              >
              > Betsy

              > --
              > --
              > Betsy Marks Delaney
              >
              > http://www.hawkeswood.com/

            • Dany Pagani
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 8 6:13 PM
                >>On the other hand...well, perhaps it's because I'm in contact with a large
                segment of the cosplay genre whose first thought when it comes to buying
                their costumes is "which Japanese or Chinese seller will be cheapest?" I'm
                hesitant about using a panel to actively encourage this attitude,
                particularly since most of them don't care about fit or quality, they just
                want the low, low price.>>

                Perhaps, but I believe there is also a big sentiment of folks who would
                probably make different decisions beyond "is this cheap" if they understood
                more of what they were looking at.at least, that's my feeling based on what
                I've seen.

                The market is saturated with Cosplay dealers, both on eBay and off. I
                figured this out firsthand when, on a lark, I decided to buy a Miku Hatsune
                costume rather than make it myself, as would be my normal process. If
                someone doesn't know what to look for, or how to measure themselves so they
                choose the right size if they buy a general size instead of getting
                customization, that limited budget is spent poorly and you end up being
                frustrated with what you get. Problem is..it's REALLY hard to navigate to
                find the right things. I feel like I know how to shop for stuff and I still
                had a hard time when I shopped. I ended up going with about four different
                vendors because each one had a different thing they did better than the
                others that I used.

                Those you know may not care about fit or quality, but if you show someone in
                a crappy costume that looks bad, and then someone in a better quality
                costume that looks good, and then said "which one do you want to look like?"
                Show me someone who would pick the crappy costume, and I'll show you someone
                who is probably blindfolded.

                I think that's what people are trying to get at with this panel idea: if you
                are gonna shop, how to shop wisely.how to use a limited budget to get what
                you want, whether it's because you're buying thrift things to mod, or buying
                off of an overseas vendor.

                Dany
                -who overall liked my eBay experience, but maybe was just lucky.

              • CC2010Milw@cs.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 10 2:52 PM
                  Posted by: "ARD" kjaneway@... worrystone_ard

                  Wed Dec 7, 2011 5:43 pm (PST)

                  Should the ICG work of encouraging costume-wearing, independent of
                  whether or not a person makes their own or buys off the rack?

                  As someone who excels at what I call Assemblage Costuming, I think we
                  should. Not everyone can sew their own stuff and it draws in more people.

                  Henry W. Osier
                  President
                  Armed Costumers Guild